Whip holder discovery in DoD

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whip holder discovery in DoD

Post by Mike »

I've just prepped this for the main site redesign and thought I'd share here something I noticed in the "Timeless Heroes" doc.

I guess since Indy wasn't meant to use his whip much it was more decorative and the whip holder was non-functional. It's attached with a snap behind the web belt and tightened down around the whip to avoid slippage with metal rings.

Thanks to Pedro for help with the pics.

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Whip holder discovery in DoD

Post by bearbeast »

That's an interesting find. Very interesting that it was planned like this, though I am a bit disappointed by the lack of whip use, of course. :(

Cheers,
Bear
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

It might also be that because the gunbelt was off this time out, they needed something a little more solid to use for the whip, so chose something without as much flex or movement, to allow Ford to run and move without it flying out or hitting him badly..

That with the lack of usage, meaning he didn't and wouldn't need to get the belt in a rush, as you said Mike, means that this system worked better for this film...

Still...I'm not a fan...LOL...I guess they just gave up on "real world solutions" on this film, and went with practical solutions instead....(Mind you, Ford being almost 80 probably made that set up "real world" anyway...LOL)
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

I'd seen this too but the whole shoulder holster thing got me just a bit sidetracked...

I think it's white stitching at the sides (so this might be the Den of Destiny & 1944 train one) so whip is permanently stitched into the holder and is non-functional - certainly one way of getting round 'whip slip' I suppose.

But aesthetically it's awful! Huge belt loop and top tab - looks like a first go at the design that they just stuck in rather than making a second one.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I've always thought that the longer whip straps were made so the whip would be more visible under the jacket. If you've ever worn a heavy whip like this while in Indy gear, you know how aggravating and not practical that is! The whip slips and worse than that it swings everywhere putting...things...in danger... :oops:

If practicality and function was of primary concern the whip strap would be short to the point of attaching the whip directly to the belt. :whip:
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Good eye. I guess it makes sense, given the absence of the gun belt, but it is odd. I wonder if this was an improvisation on location. You can see the hole where they removed the snap from the top of the strap, which suggests they may have modified a functional holder. Maybe they didn't have much on hand to work with.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Hollowpond wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:50 amThe whip slips and worse than that it swings everywhere putting...things...in danger... :oops:
:oops: :rolling:
makeitjones wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:29 amI think it's white stitching at the sides (so this might be the Den of Destiny & 1944 train one) so whip is permanently stitched into the holder and is non-functional - certainly one way of getting round 'whip slip' I suppose.
Here's a lighter pic of the frame grab. You can see it goes around the loop, which is why I surmised it was a metal ring, but if you think it could be stitching, I can amend the statement on the site.
looplight.png
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

If I’m seeing the pictures right, the visible snap isn’t even functional in the sense of holding the whip. The whip is held in place with the two rings (they don’t look like stitching to me) and the snap “closes” the holder to cover up the two rings.

I guess this isn’t too far off from the fishing line used in the other movies to keep the whip in place completely negating real world use of the whip.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

I'd figured the broken white-ish line visible above the rivets on the edges and back of the (not great) picture of the whip holder in the Den of Destiny display was stitching - but could well be a metal loop in shadow (or a totally different holder). Loops are certainly less jarring than white stitching!
Stitch or loop.png
Think that holder in the documentary is the same holder from inside the train in 1944 as has the same two lines / loops visible on the right hand side:
bwh edge.png

At least the one on top of the train opens in the usual way:
open bwh.png
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Hollowpond wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:50 am If you've ever worn a heavy whip like this while in Indy gear, you know how aggravating and not practical that is! The whip slips and worse than that it swings everywhere putting...things...in danger... :oops:
When I first bought my Jacka 10’ CS I had a regular whip holder that was a pain with slippage. I bought one of Wade Egan’s double wrap holders that has worked great. May not look right but things are much more safe.
I can’t imagine what a pain it is to hold the whip in place on a web belt!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Mike wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:08 am
Hollowpond wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:50 amThe whip slips and worse than that it swings everywhere putting...things...in danger... :oops:
:oops: :rolling:
makeitjones wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:29 amI think it's white stitching at the sides (so this might be the Den of Destiny & 1944 train one) so whip is permanently stitched into the holder and is non-functional - certainly one way of getting round 'whip slip' I suppose.
Here's a lighter pic of the frame grab. You can see it goes around the loop, which is why I surmised it was a metal ring, but if you think it could be stitching, I can amend the statement on the site.
looplight.png
I’ve been making mine with stitching, since that’s what is seen in the Den of Destiny pics. I’m not saying it couldn’t be metal rings, but I can’t think of any that would keep in place… :-k