Weathering Goat (advice wanted)

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Weathering Goat (advice wanted)

Post by Iandiana Jones »

I've not purchased a jacket, and am strongly considering a Wested Crusade in Goat. I'm aware that goat is tough to weather.

Buuuuuuut, there's probably only ever gonna be one of these for me, so I want one that's gonna outlive me.

I have an idea to observe the coat over a period of time and see how it weathers as I naturally wear it. Then embellish as needed.

Alternatively, compare it to my Carhart, which is suitably worn at this point, and weather in those same places (relatively speaking).
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Weathering Goat (advice wanted)

Post by Lightning »

My Wested goat is 20 years old, all natural distressing. I can post pictures if that would be helpful.
Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Iandiana Jones »

I'd love some pictures. I want to avoid 'artificial' weathering as much as possible...

...but word on the street is Goathide takes it like a champ.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well it's not so much that goatskin is "hard" to weather, it's that it takes to it differently from most other finished leathers. The surface wear doesn't really "patina" the way bovine or horse or sheep (or kangaroo or kudu etc) leathers do. It tends to maintain a sheen and the most noticeable distressing goat usually takes on is the crinkling. IMO it makes for a good Raiders leather but less so LC. The LC leather is characteristically smooth -- and heavier and also overly distressed but it's not crinkly.

The best comp I can give you is if you see a used G-1 or something -- the most common garment goatskin these days are on flight jackets. Have a look at those and understand that's how goat weathers and ages.
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

most noticeable thing is the leading edge of the stormflap is completely worn off. end of the cuffs is similar. the left pocket has way more loss than the right because I keep my earmuffs in there. Similarly, my right elbow has way more distressing than my left probably because I'm right handed. back isn't bad at all, just a bit in the corners. I really need to get the liner replaced, its shredded.

full size
https://i.imgur.com/mcbHLwi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XEU7YvF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AoxUVzh.jpg
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

That is awesome, looks like it served you long and well! :clap:

Cheers,
Bear