RIP Steve Delk - October 2023

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

The Pilot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Pilot »

I found this on another message board. 'Stephen C. Delk, 72 of Columbus, MS passed away Wednesday, October 4, 2023, at his residence.'

https://www.lowndesfuneralhome.net/obit ... 0residence
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Is Steve Delk still alive?

Post by IJJTM »

Oh wow… I used to search obituaries every once in a while and I guess it’s been a hot minute since I have. I didn’t know he was in the military. RIP Steve…
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I just found out that Steve Delk passed last month and I regret not getting to meet him. However, I did have the pleasure of getting to speak to him on the phone on a couple of occasions. I distinctly remember telling him what hat size I was and him replying to me: "My God, I don't come across many women with a head as big as yours!" :lol:

He was a good man and I miss talking with him.

May he rest in peace.
Last edited by Canyon on Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

This is a shame! Proves once again that all we really are guaranteed is a time to live and a place to die! RIP, Steve! W>
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Rest in peace Steve, the world is down one good man in m y opinion.
And he has a place in the history books for helping to create the CS fedora.

Croft :(
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

https://www.indygear.com/igABstory.html
Too many memories over too many decades to recount, going clear back to the original Indyfan days. :|

Goodbye old friend. :cry:

Highest regards! Michaelson :M:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Only spoke to him once...By phone...And several emails, but what always impressed me was just how decent a bloke he was...RIP Steve, and thank you for ALL of this.
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

Steve was always great to talk to and getting that Indy 4 beaver was one of my highlights in my Indy fandom. RIP and my condolences to his family.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

I am wondering if Steve's membership could be restored here and all his posts in the forums restored. It would be a nice tribute to him. Not sure if it's even possible actually.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: RIP Steve Delk - October 2023

Post by Charybdis »

I will cherish my Raiders hat that Steve made for me back some years ago. May he rest in peace.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Will have to decide between my Raiders or CS, which to wear in his honor.

I'll forever be appreciative for my little part in helping him...which I actually didn't know I was doing since Lee didn't tell me he'd sent him my HJ!! :lol: ...and enjoying riding along with a few others as he took part in the CS production.

Rest well, buddy.
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

Another good man lost to history. God speed.
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

I am not very active on COW anymore since a long time, however, I want to to write a few words regarding my experience with Steve.

I tried to reach him two days ago to send him a note of appreciation regarding the hat I had, made by him. I nearly had it for 2 decades and it severed me well in many ways all these years. I did not had too much to do with him, just exchanged a few emails with him, also at the time when CS happened. He surprised me at that time with a very heartwarming deed which came totally unexpected to me. As I had to promise not to make it public I can not share details of it, but I can say for sure that to me it proofed what a nice person he must have been. Sadly I was too late to reach out to him with my letter a bit earlier. I wish I had the chance to meet him in person.

And apart from his person, the hat he made for me (early batch) was absolutely undestroyable and great piece of craftsmanship. Hats off to him!
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

While I'm not a huge fan of memorials like this on public outlets, this one hits to close to home.

Like many here, Steve and I have had a friendship since the early days on Indyfan.
Although I've never had the chance to meet him, we spoke a number of times over the phone and via email over the years.
I always found him to gracious and helpful.

We had many conversations about hat making techniques, supply's, felt colors, ribbons, etc...
As a hands-on guy, it wasn't that hard for him to talked me into making my own hats, giving me helpful tips along the way.

As he was cabinet maker, our interests overlapped to my love of woodworking and we spoke almost as much about that as we did Indy stuff.

Steve was one of the originals here at Indygear, say what you will, but there is no doubt he will be missed.

RIP Steve
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

I'm still fairly new around these parts, but you don't have to research for very long to realize the indelible mark that Mr. Delk left on Indy fandom. My condolences to those who knew him. May he rest in peace.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Indeed, very sad to read.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

A true gentleman he was. He didn't just make his mark in the Indy community but in the hat making business as well. He's a hero and a legend in both departments.
Rest in peace, mr. Delk.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Takes a lot to get me to post here anymore, but...

I know a lot of folks will only have an understandable discontent on their minds - and I really understand them too - but, Steve was a person, a very interesting, kind and generous person. He was passionate about (among other things) the Raiders hat and his contribution to the way in which so many Indy hat makers work today can't be understated. His tireless experiments in blocking and reblocking seriously improved our understanding of that hat and subsequently influenced every Indy hat maker since. We wouldn't have the range of great hat options we now have (I remember how it used to be!) without Steve.
It would be a terrible shame for us to remember him only for the fact that his skills led him to be completely overwhelmed with orders - and he wasn't the kind of guy to say no to anyone, unfortunately - coupled with his failing health, the result was people being let down. I dare say, he felt ashamed and powerless. A sad end to what started out as such a promising enterprise!
I would like to remember Steve as he was before he became the hat maker for Indy IV - a lovely, interesting, down to earth, passionate and genuinely nice guy that loved this crazy hobby as we all do, and furthered it significantly through his efforts.
RIP Steve.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Hear hear! :TOH:

Regards! M
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

RIP to the legendary hatmaker🫡

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

The Indy community just lost a legend! RIP Steve Delk
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Never had the pleasure of talking to the guy. Owned a second hand early Adventurebilt that I should have held on to! ](*,)

His impact on the gearhead community and impact on THE fedora (not to mention hat making in general) is undeniable.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Never had the privilege to meet the man, but in the few emails we exchanged, he was very generous with his time. The man truly became a legend not only in Fandom, but in the history of Indiana Jones.

May his spirit of adventure live on, forever immortalized on the silver screen, and carried forth everytime an Adventurebilt is ever worn.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Like many here, I never met him, but once had a conversation on here where I mentioned having an odd dream where Steve was sitting at a store front inside some sort of futuristic mall of sorts and yes, he had hand crafted hats for sale. He told me that oddly enough, he had had a similar dream before. Well, if he likes, I hope someday soon he's up there helping people with his handmade goods in some heavenly setting, helping them by doing his best (which was pretty darn good I will add) like he always has. RIP.