New Agnoulita Templar fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

New Agnoulita Templar fedora

Post by Tremolo »

I thought this might be of interest for some as there is only one thread about Agnoulita hats in our forum here.

As I am still anticipating my HJ Destiny poet, the urge to get another hat got stronger and stronger. After a while Agnoulita caught my eye, even though there is not much information available or even proper pictures.
Before that I was thinking about getting a new Christy´s as I liked them over ten years ago quite a bit. But I wasn´t so fond of their new pricing, so Agnoulita, being in the same range and inside the EU, became more and more interesting.

After some thinking I went ahead and ordered it in dark brown rabbit felt, chocolate brown ribbon and a 2 3/4 brim. After 5 weeks it arrived safely from Greece and I had quite a pleasant surprise inside this nice creme white hat box.

Image Image

Image Image

To me it looks like it has quite a nice block shape which easily gives you that big crown look with a nice bit of reverse taper. On their product page they call it the Explorer crown design which appears to be the same for all their Indy offerings like the Raider or Voyager (YIJC). I think it is not 100% accurate to any movie but the overall shape is very pleasing with the reverse tapered sides and its pronounced and rounded humps. Maybe even slightly exaggerated :)
I worked on the bash a bit and settled for a mix of LC and CS which I think fits this hat quite good.

Image Image

The felt is on the thicker side, compared to my Penman, Fed IV and AB Henry but it has a nice rugged feel for rabbit. The overall finish is okay, it is definitely not as smooth and nice as my Penman or even the Henry but it is not unlike the Fed IV.
They forgot the dimensional cut I asked for so I had to do that myself later on (I went with roughly 2.6125" on the sides). To their defense, you can´t chose that in their customization menu and I asked for that via email a bit later.
The sweatband has a nice softness and thickness to it that makes it comfortable to wear. The fit was also good but just in case it also came with a couple of cork spacers, which I thought was a nice touch, just like the little canvas bag that was included. I guess it is meant to further save the hat during transport or storage. You can choose the stiffness for the brim and crown and I went with moderate with both. While the crown is pretty soft, the brim almost reminded me of a cowboy hat when I got it. Needless to say, it softens up quite well.

Overall I am happy with it and look forward having fun with this hat. :) Here a some pictures with the hat dirtied up a bit and a dimensional cut brim. :whip:

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: New Agnoulita Templar fedora

Post by bearbeast »

I did not know about these guys. :D

It looks like a great hat, and indeed the felt looks like the Fed IV. A bit rougher, but nice and "warm" to the touch. You did a great job cutting the brim yourself and also on the bash. :clap:

The hat looks amazing and you wear it well!

Cheers,
Bear
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Thanks for the review! I really like the look of that hat - gives me LC vibes.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Is there a link to their site, this needs investigating.

But that’s a nice looking hat, and yes nice job on the demensional cut. Thought I remember reading they took a large pair scissors to cut the brim.

Croft :mrgreen:
rc325
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by rc325 »

Indiana Croft wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:26 pm Is there a link to their site, this needs investigating.

But that’s a nice looking hat, and yes nice job on the demensional cut. Thought I remember reading they took a large pair scissors to cut the brim.

https://www.agnoulitahats.com/en-us/col ... s/explorer

Take a look here ^

rc325
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

I've seen them around on Etsy and such for years. It's a better looking hat than I would have thought. Has a CS-like look. If it's a fairly thick rabbit and sort of Fed-like in weight that's a bonus -- as much as I appreciate the Harrison it is pretty thin and prone to warping. The thicker the rabbit felt the better in terms of longevity.
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Right, they are on Etsy as well. The pictures there didn´t quite impress me that much but when I looked at their own shop( https://www.agnoulitahats.com/collectio ... 51224#show ) I liked the pictures in one of the reviews. That convinced me to give it a try.

Regarding the thickness, here is a little comparison with my other hats:

From top to bottom:

Christy´s Adventurer (rabbit)
Adventurebilt Henry (80/20)
Penman (beaver)
Akubra Fed IV (rabbit)
Agnoulita Templar (rabbit)
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Oh, yeah, that is a thick boi! The thickest I have is the Fed IV. And I have to say I am partial to thicker felt.

I do like my beaver AdVintage, but it is SO thin.

Thanks for the comparison!

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Buzzing around the site and I like some of the options on felt colors.
I’d tried a Fed in tawny, on the site it looked tarnish, but was more grayish.

So if I do order one and I probably will, it’ll be in one the the lighter colors.
Got plenty of brown. :-k