Pics of Newest Wested Trophy

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Pics of Newest Wested Trophy

Post by Got Maul »

First, let me say that Peter, you are a demigod in my book. Your service, your delivery date, the craziness in alterations that I put you through, I am speechless. You came through on EVERY detail I asked for and you are a A Rated individual. Thank you from the deepest of my heart for making this a reality...my perfect jacket.

To everyone else, I am extremely proud to show you my newest addition to my family, my Authentic Raiders Goat Jacket. Before sending in the order, Agent5 and I painfully went through every post, thread, stop captured every scene in Raiders (with the jacket) and mailed out the finalized customization list in order of priority to Peter. To say that he nailed it is an understatement.

First pics of me :)

http://www.chunkmonkey.com/~jose/Indy7.jpg

Don't let the tired look fool you, I am really ecstatic. The first two pictures (going from left to right on top show that I went with the one inch extention in the front to prevent ride up. The second two pics illustrate that I asked Peter to take in the sleeve quite a bit and go for the "fitted" look. I didn't want any drooping armpits, just the clean look of two Gussets staring right back at me. As a result, the jacket looks clean and fitted to my body.

Now the next pic is HUGE and will most likely be taken down by the mods. I have provided a direct link to help those in Dire Straights.

http://www.chunkmonkey.com/~jose/Indy8.jpg

Again, going from Row 1 left to right : First pics shows the back panel extending all the way out to the edge of the jacket. Make note ! Seams cannot be sewn directly onto seams so there will always be a gap, I told peter to minimize that gap as much possible and he did. The first pic also shows the INFAMOUS sleave stitch one inch BELOW the Yoke as seen in Raiders. Now, note, if you do opt for this feature, you WILL BE restricted in movement. To me, accuracy over comfort is my goal and to tell you the truth, its not that restricting...you should try the leather thong I was wearing in his pic ! The second pic shows that we had the collar end a bit deeper into the storm flap. Not too serious a change, but something we noticed. The last pic shows the way peter sews his straps, X pattern in stitch Box...the infamous X-Box Pattern !

Row 2 left to right : we had the pockets shrunken down and scalloped edged. Peter warned us that the pockets would mean that you wouldn't be able to get your hands into the pocket for comfort. Again, accuracy versus comfort....accuracy for me. I have size medium hands and yes, mind do fit...snuggly though. This pic also shows the one inch extension in the front I had tacked on. The third pic in this series illustrates the two Gussets we paid extra for...yes, that's TWO gussets.

Row 3 left to right - btw- first two pics are on their side : first pic shows the infamous arm seam, again, an inch below the yoke. Now I know some have asked Peter to actually shorten the yoke on these jackets. While I would personally love this myself, I do understand his answer, being a seamster myself...if you shortened the yoke, you would not only alter its pattern, but the back panel pattern and attachments as well.. Therefore, its not as easy as it seems. I settled to have him move my sleeve seam an inch lower...to me, its perfect. The second pic shows a big big improvement in my book. Jason and I requested the SMALLER of his two zippers he uses, in fact the zipper he uses in his Cotton Westeds. I told him I would take full responsibility if its tensile stregnth wouldn't hold...the effect is amazing, smaller brass teeth and smaller zipper pull (that doesn't show underneath the jacket when pulled down ! ). Also in this pic, I asked Peter to extend that zipper as far down as he could. He mentioned, that back in the Indy days, the real jacket didn't have a linining on the inside and that's why one was able to extend the zipper all the way down. But, because the modern day jackets have the lining, it creates a hem between the lining and leather that cannot be sewn over...just approached real close...that's what I had him do...take it all the way down as possible.

The last pic was a comparison show of the jacket and an Xwing Fighter. Notice how the R2 unit compliments the jacket exterior so well...uh...guys...where did everyone go ?!?

So there you have it my friends. Because of your posts and threads about various pieces and parts of the jackets that needed to be updated and accurized, Jason and I are very proud to present our jacket.
Last edited by Got Maul on Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Beautiful jacket!! Your mods made it one fine looking jacket.

And the fact that you added the extra inch to the front of the jacket makes
it fit sooo much better!!

I have always told people to do this, as I did it myself, and like you, I
do not have a beer gut, or bad posture, and it makes the jacket bottom
look perfect!!

So, anyone who thinks the extra inch is not worth it, or that its only for
people who are portly challenged, just look at these pictures, and prove it
to yourself that its for everyone who wants the jacket to fit correctly, and
not ride up in the front.

The color of the jacket is great too! I have the Authentic Lamb, and it
has always surprised me how much alike the two leathers are in color.
Other than the grain pattern, I bet nobody would ever know it was not
lamb. That is until you go on your first real adventure! :shock:
Your jacket will be ready for the next one, and my lamb would be ready
for some serious repair.

Wear that beautiful jacket in good health!! You and Peter did a fantastic
job together. This is another reason why Peter gets my money over all
the other vendors. He will work WITH us, not just give us off the rack
jackets with no room for improvement. This is the best business practice
for creating more word of mouth customers. Each time someone sees
what Peter can do, by working with us, it creates another customer.

Great jacket dude!!

Flathead
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

That is a fine looking jacket. The blows away the jackets Peter made in the ninties. Enjoy!
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

That's awesome! Great-looking jacket. Suits you very well!
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

amen flathead !! Wested Rules !
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Congrats on your new jacket!! :D

I have the 1-piece under-arm Gusetts for my Dark Brown Goatskin, however, had I known that we could have the 2-piece like you have on your jacket, I probably would have went with the 2-piece....just for some extra room in the arm/shoulder.....But did the 2-piece under-arm Gussetts cost more than the 1-piece? (just in case I purchase another jacket in the future)....

Kind Regards!
Captain D

p.s- Also, does anyone think that if I shipped my jacket back to Wested to have the extra piece(s) of Gusetts added to my jacket, they could do it....or do you think that something so small like that isn't worth the time or $$ to have it done? (I know, I know, I'm too particular, lol, :wink: :oops: ).
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

I think they would totally do it. You would just have to pay shipping and customs, so if its about worth 50 bucks or so to do it, then do it...its when you want to legnthen something that'+ 15(for the extra gusset) the problem. Adding on and shortening is usually not a problem, usually (that is the in the world of sewing alterations)
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I sent Peter an E-mail off asking to see if this task can be done....but, I have been thinking....does anyone feel that, if I have this done, that the durability of the Goatskin stitching would be "less" durable in any way?

Maybe I'm just off my rocker, but I just thought that I would ask, simply because sometimes taking something apart, and then re-attaching it, it doesn't always have the same quality as it once had "before" something/anything was done to it.....Not that I am questioning Wested's work/craftsmanship, just a curious question for for those who know sewing since I know nothing about stitching/sewing, lol....

Kind Regards,
Captain D
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

when you deal with leather, unlike fabric, you poke in a hole in it, its there to stay. Fabric kinda makes the hole disappear because of fibers, but leather is epidermis... a nice continuous pattern of dead cells on top each other etc. etc.- in other words quite the different material. But when altering, if you poke a hole in leather and re thread the same hole, the strenght will be exactly the same as it was before. Most likely that's what WESTED would do, realign the sew holes if need be, otherwise create new ones. That's the greatness of leather, you can do quite a bit to it and it won't lose its stregnth and endurance as a material. It was meant to take a licking and keep on ticking !
TheMantis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TheMantis »

Its perfect!!!!!
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hey there Got Maul!

Thank you for the replies! :D Hmmmm, while I am awaiting Peter's response, I'll have to think about whether or not to risk it, but I'm sure Peter and his crew would do just fine with my baby :wink: ....I'll write back to let ya know what he said, hopefully soon!

Take care!
Captain D
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

I am thinking about sending this one back...there is one part that I do want him to correct that I FORGOT to add and noticed...the action please should be only 1.5 inches wide...mine is around 2.5 (yes, it makes a difference).
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

oops, I meant Action Pleat ...lol.

I am so tired.

gm
lowmileage
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lowmileage »

It's a beauty. But my work is cut out for me. I have only 2 months to do research so I can order my Wested before the summer ends.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You'll probably be better off putting this up for sale in the classified before sending it back, as Peter will just have to put it in his showroom for sale. I'm also sure he'd have to tear that jacket completely apart to correct the pleat depth, and that would throw off the OTHER specs you've had made for your jacket. May as well make another fan happy here, then purchase a replacement. Saves you all the shipping and Peter the bother of having to sell this return. You'd have a quicker turn around too, as it would just be a new order for him, rather than a replacement jacket. Just a thought. Regards. Michaelson
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

yup, peter just emailed me saying that it couldn't be done. To tell you the truth, I lucked out because somehow, this goat already conformed to my body and the flaring isn't even really that much anymore...in fact, I would say that its not even noticeable. I love this jacket and I think in a lot of ways I got lucky with timing, the diligence that peter was able to give my specs, etc. So I am keeping this bad boy for sure for the mere fact that I am utterly in love with it.. I will just remember to add the pleat part to my next jacket that I have peter make me (probably next year).
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Good deal! That's the neat thing about goatskin...it will conform more and more to your shape with wear, so just get to know it, and it you, and you'll not even THINK about that pleat in short order. :tup: Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

There are pleats in my jacket?! :shock: :wink: It didn't take me long at all to fall in love with my Wested goatskin. It started conforming to my frame shortly after I started wearing it. IEven though I might do one or two tiny things different with my next jacket, I wouldn't trade this one for anything... except maybe a horsehide jacket. :wink:

bink
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

lowmileage- I hope my specs above aid you in some way...it pretty much sums up all the research this incredible board has done. Then again, I think a lot of my appreciation of this jacket is due to the fact that jason and I researched this thing to high heaven, frame by frame, post by post. But at the very least, you have a good starting base :)
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

the thing I loved best was how after a good week of wear, my arm sleeves already curved out to my standing posture arm bend...so when I slipped my arms in, it was like putting on custom glove !
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

GM-
I'm planning on ordering a raiders goat soon and wondered if you could give me some more detail on your jacket.

1.What are the exact dimensions of the cargo pockets?
2. Did you just tell Peter you wanted the pockets with scalloped edges?
3. Do you have an exact measurement on how much you extended the collar onto the storm-flap?
4. How is the smaller gage zipper holding up? Do you think it will cause any problems in the future?
5. Other than being screen accurate are there any benefits to having the yoke above the sleeves' seams?
6.What kind of lining did you choose?

I think I'm going to go with a pretty similar setup to your jacket, although I might lean a little more towards comfort over accuracy! :oops: Hopefuly your answers will help?
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Got Maul,

Would you post a list of ALL the features
that you requested on this wonderful jacket?

That way I can just copy it, insert my measurements
and send it off to Peter.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I'd like to know the features also.
creamedgeezer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by creamedgeezer »

I'm just about ready to order my new jacket, and I would really appreciate this list as well. Yours looks beautiful.
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

hey guys, so sorry I didn't see this post pop up ! I will get that information to you ASAP !

gm
creamedgeezer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by creamedgeezer »

Just got my measurements taken at a tailor today, almost ready to order mine :)
creamedgeezer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by creamedgeezer »

Anyone care to take a crack at guessing? I love this jacket, and I want to copy it :)
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

1. Yoke- 1.25" shorter thereby bringing the bottom of
the yoke seam up, towards the shoulders; arm seam
should be 1.25" BELOW the yoke lower seam

2. Collar- The collar that meets the storm flap
should extend out 3/4" past the storm flap seam
(e.g.If the storm flap is 1.5", then the collar should
end midway in the storm flap.)

3. Right Pocket- 1.0 inch from storm flap, 2 inches
from bottom/ Width of pocket : 6.25 inches, legnth
(including pocket flap) : 7.5 inches ---- scalloped
pockets

4. Left Pocket- 1.5 inches from the zipper seam (or
edge of jacket), 2 inches from bottom/ Width of
pocket : 6.25 inches, legnth (including pocket flap) :
7.5 inches ---- scalloped pockets

5. Extend zipper as far as it could go down

6. Inside Pocket- left inside pocket; smaller one
requested (less leather)- the slit version.

7. 2 piece underarm gussets

8. Added 1 inch to front to prevent "ride up" effect

9. Extend back panel out to sleeve seams so that the
bottom yoke seam extends out as far as possible to the
shoulder seam ;

As far as ride up and uncomfy, I have to admit its a little more restricting than a normal fitting jacket, but you know, I love the accuracy dearly and in all honesty, you don't even notice.
creamedgeezer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by creamedgeezer »

Thank you, sir. :)