Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

NP1975
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

HELP! Advice on darkening jacket.

Post by NP1975 »

Hi All.

I have a fairly old Wested Indy jacket. It's in great shape and nicely worn in. However, it's become noticeably lighter in colour over the years. I've heard that Pecards make a leather dressing that would darken the leather.
Question: Is Pecards the way to go? And if so, which type of dressing do I get? How much will I need?
OR
Are there better alternatives? A different approach to darkening it? A different leather company's product that you would recommend?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Neil
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: HELP! Advice on darkening jacket.

Post by Charybdis »

First thing I would do is apply Pecards. The lightening is caused by the leather drying out. The leather dressing should darken it somewhat.
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

NP1975 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:20 am .......... a leather dressing that would darken the leather.
Question: Is Pecards the way to go? And if so, which type of dressing do I get? How much will I need?
OR
Are there better alternatives? A different approach to darkening it? A different leather company's product that you would recommend?
Lexol is half the price of Pecard's. After a light shower wearing them I just used it on a Wested Shrunken Lamb AND a 2008 Indiana Jones licensed (Cooper or Wilson). Both came out darker and softer. I cattle ranched for 35 years and swear by Lexol conditioner for all saddles, Tack and especially my luxury leather jackets..Image
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 11.11.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 11.11.43 PM.png (12.53 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Last edited by rbxb on Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Pecards won't darken the leather beyond the time it's still wet, at least...It's a very good colour free dressing....But that also means it doesn't change the colour at all once fully dried...

I'd suggest maybe having a look at the Eco-Flo line of tanners? Since you can use those with a little water to change the colour for good, and the effect is often quite subtle and slow to build up, so you can go slowly and see the effect once dry and work in layers to darken the leather by tanning it differently....That might be what you need to get the effect...

Go slow and use a little water to lighten the effect of the tan...(And try on a part of the jacket you can't see well before!)
NP1975
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by NP1975 »

Thanks for the advice. I initially tried Lexol conditioner oil. It has slightly darkened the leather, which now feels, and smells!, great. But it's still more of a darkish tan than a dark brown. Maybe I'm being too picky.
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

NP1975 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:04 am Thanks for the advice. I initially tried Lexol conditioner oil. It has slightly darkened the leather, which now feels, and smells!, great. But it's still more of a darkish tan than a dark brown. Maybe I'm being too picky.
Lexol is my GO-TO product for all my saddles, bridles, Leather jackets etc. It does darken slightly. it also softens and brings out rich color. I swear by it.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Pecards does have brown dressing.
I’ve used it to darken areas that I’ve over distressed, worked for me.
But be cautious.

Croft :mrgreen:
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

I'd agree with what's been said above and say 'conditioning' it won't darken it long term as soon as the jacket has been left for a while the effect vanishes till the next application. ... I have a few wested''s and also got friends with them to some older than 20 odd years so i know exactly the effect you mean especially if it's one of the older skins. The lightening is a mix of UV rays basically killing the reds in the surface coat and natural wear .. each time leathers folded or creased and especially as it gets older and dryer, it will inevitably crack the surface leading to a loss of the surface finishing ... its the natural equivalent of distressing which artificially removes the surface.

Having used then a couple of times I'm a fan of the Fiebings Leather Dye's .. but dont use the creams. Use a deglaze and the Dye. you get various colours but the Medium Brown and Dark brown are good. One of the advantages is they adhere well and can be used sparingly or cut down with alcohol to just give a little colour back to the surface and give a great colour to any exposed weathered areas .. so you still get a nice contrast between weathered and non weathered areas .. they dont 'resurface' as such so you won't go back to having a glossy new jacket ..

EDIT just read yours is an LC so there is a Tan dye but I think would be after a mix of Medium Brown and Tan

BUT .. as always go easy at first and test on an area first like inside the cuffs.