Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

approx $$ of a Wested vs Steele & Jones

Post by rbxb »

Hey Guys and Gals,

I sold my last two Indy "hides". It's time for new..

I'm deciding between Wested Legacy Temple of Doom or Steele & Jones Cazadora 36 in 0.9 ml cowhide.

My question is for those (in the USA) who recently purchased a jacket from either. What charges did you incur beyond the price ???
Currently the Wested is apprx $340 + $40 ship
The Steele & Jones is $390 shipped... So barring any additional Duty or Customs charges they are about the same except S & J has a longer wait and better communication.
What are your personal experiences?

Thanks in advance
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: approx $$ of a Wested vs Steele & Jones

Post by joeyofarimathea »

Hello RbXb.....

I didnt see this one until you mentioned it in the other thread.....

I just recently bought Indy Trousers from Wested and there were no import taxes or.any extra postal fees. But there was a nominal bank fee ( $1.85) for currency converison???

Also S &J tells me there will be no import or postal fees on theirs either.

But keep this in mind ...... I just can't overstate the phenomenal customer service experience I recieved from S&J over the last several months! Wested is sadly no longer even in the same sport let alone league...lol!
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

joeyofarimathea wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:09 pm Hello RbXb.....

I didnt see this one until you mentioned it in the other thread.....

I just recently bought Indy Trousers from Wested and there were no import taxes or.any extra postal fees. But there was a nominal bank fee ( $1.85) for currency converison???

Also S &J tells me there will be no import or postal fees on theirs either.

But keep this in mind ...... I just can't overstate the phenomenal customer service experience I recieved from S&J over the last several months! Wested is sadly no longer even in the same sport let alone league...lol!
Thanks. That's good information. It's sad but dealing with Wested currently is a bit of a buzz kill. If I can truly get into a well made custom Indy jacket for the same approx $400 at my door with good customer service at S & J then maybe that's the right route. that said.. I will continue to try to give Wested a shot at my business again until I pull the trigger
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

I mentioned this is the other thread, but I will say it here. If you're going to go with Steele & Jones Cazadora '36, then save up longer, or invest more in the lambskin, which is $650 before shipping. The Wested Raiders Legacy in lambskin is about $325, before shipping. Cowhide is bad for screen-accuracy in a Raiders jacket, in my humble opinion...
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

My two cents.
I have 1 Wested Hero in lamb, it fits me perfect.
Not going to tempt fate with ever buying another.

If I want a jacket, S&J is the only way, I’ll know it’ll fit.
And I have my third coming by end of the year, a DoD in a very close to screen accurate leather.

Can’t wait.
So save your coin and get something you’ll cherish for a very long time.

Croft :mrgreen:
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Indiana Croft wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:01 pm My two cents.
I have 1 Wested Hero in lamb, it fits me perfect.
Not going to tempt fate with ever buying another.

If I want a jacket, S&J is the only way, I’ll know it’ll fit.
And I have my third coming by end of the year, a DoD in a very close to screen accurate leather.

Can’t wait.
So save your coin and get something you’ll cherish for a very long time.

Croft :mrgreen:
Had a Hero just sold as it was a bit baggy and didnt hang right. Been through several Wested Raiders and OTR Cooper Originals. I'll likely go with S & J next time or m a y b e a Wested T O D Legacy. my ceiling for such things is $450 / $500 turnkey so Kelso's, Schotts, and anything else above that threshold is out of the question.
Drifter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Drifter »

I think you need to get to the root of what you want.

We all end up buying multiple jackets chasing the dragon so you to speak, trying to capture what we see on the screen.

If you narrow it down to the true essence of what you want, then spend whatever it is to get the product you desire, I think you’re better off.

I’ve never had a legacy Raiders, so I can’t comment on that. I’ve had a Kelso ( leather is top notch) but I wasn’t happy with the cut.

My vote is you go all in on a Lambskin S&J. Also pay extra for the mock up jacket.

It’s a lot of money, but if done right, jacket will last you a life time. Spend big now or run the risk of not being happy and spending more later.