My Magnoli jackets gone. Info on Wested Raiders legacy vs hero?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My Magnoli jackets gone. Info on Wested Raiders legacy vs hero?

Post by starks_6 »

Hi guys,
I skulk around the forum a couple of times per year and have a look but haven't been too active in the last 10 years. 4 kids later and a 6 day working week and hobbys become a thing that you had once.

I was pretty happy with my gear overall so wasn't in the market for much. I loved my Magnoli jacket. I must have ordered that around 2009/2010. Im sure theres pictures of me wearing it on our honeymoon. Its the only jacket I had.
About 2 years ago my then 6 yr old son was quite ill and 10pm prompted a trip to the hospital, jacket came with me. They filled him with medication. We were headed home around 3am, he was cold and I put the jacket over him. Long story short he didnt stomach the meds well and threw up in the jacket.

Next day wiped it out and my wife put it in a bag, on top of the washing machine to take to the cleaners. 2 weeks or so later we get the kids passed the illnesses and backed up work completed and I go to grab the jacket to take to be cleaned, its gone.

The bag containing the jacket had vibrated off the washing machine, fell on top of a rubbish bag next to the washing machine, and been included in the garbage and thrown out.
Yup my Magnoli jacket mistakenly thrown out, if you have ever seen anger and depression this was it.

I had a Wested when I was 16 ( Im 40 next year btw) that I had sold to my cousin way back when I had some money troubles arould 18. He gifted it back to me but it's far too small. I should post a picture, the pockets are especially horrible.

I havent gotten around to replacing the Magnoli for a number of reasons, hasn't been that cold here in Queensland the last couple of years, single income supporting wife and 4 kids doesnt leave much change for jacket purchases ( not a sop story just our reality). But this winters been a bit fresh with a few 7 degree celcius mornings and having no Indy jacket bothers me so its time for a new one.

Im a bit overwhelmed with how many options there are now, back then you got a Wested, Todds, Magnoli, I think the Nowak's were a thing by then but expensive. Many more good options now.

I looked at the Magnoli again, love the S&J, the kelso but heres the kicker, with the exchange rate from Aus to USD these jackets cost upwards of $900 Australian and at nearly a weeks wages I can't sensibly make that happen.

I had steered clear of Wested as back in the day the patterns were quite inaccurate and I had an argument with Peter Botwright over his customer service. He was alright, I actually felt for him having to put up with the gearheads. But I can buy a Wested for around $500 Australian and the patterns are very good I see. So looks like I'm in the market for a Wested.

Whats the difference between a Hero and a legacy? Ive been reading through the forum but cannot find a list of differences except the hide perhaps? And is it just me or in the pictures of the Legacy on the website do the pocket flaps look long? Id really like some info on these jackets and any pictures people have to contribute.

Regards,
Josh
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: My Magnoli jackets gone. Info on Wested Raiders legacy vs hero?

Post by Indy Magnoli »

That's a horrible story on so many levels! I've had an HJ fedora stolen out of the back of a church of all places, so I know the feeling of senseless gear loss.

Have you seen our White Label line? One of these would be under $500 AUD (shipped): https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/produc ... rrency=AUD
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

Indy Magnoli wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:34 pm That's a horrible story on so many levels! I've had an HJ fedora stolen out of the back of a church of all places, so I know the feeling of senseless gear loss.

Have you seen our White Label line? One of these would be under $500 AUD (shipped): https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/produc ... rrency=AUD
Thanks for the sentiment. Sorry to hear the misadventure with your HJ and as you said, a church of all places. Growing up my father worked for Answers in Genesis, and we were surely made to attend church every week. It taught me how to treat others well and values I follow to this day, it also taught me the absolute hypocrisy of those who are supposed to follow said values and don't whilst maintaining a religious persona.

Anyway back to topic!

I had not seen your white label line. It looks great. A bit surprised by the cowhide though, how do you find it compared to the lambskin? I like the pre distressing and colour.
And are the wait times still current? I expect a wait time, just curious.

Cheers,
Josh
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

What's the differenc ebetween Hero and legacy, just hardware and leather choice. The cut and fit of the jacket is the same.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

starks_6 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:23 amI had not seen your white label line. It looks great. A bit surprised by the cowhide though, how do you find it compared to the lambskin? I like the pre distressing and colour.
And are the wait times still current? I expect a wait time, just curious.
The cowhide is strong without being stiff, so it gives a really nice practical Raiders look and feel. The wait times are long, but we're working to get those down throughout the rest of the year. :TOH:
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

xmasters wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:27 am What's the differenc ebetween Hero and legacy, just hardware and leather choice. The cut and fit of the jacket is the same.
Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Indy Magnoli wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:40 pm The cowhide is strong without being stiff, so it gives a really nice practical Raiders look and feel. The wait times are long, but we're working to get those down throughout the rest of the year. :TOH:
Thanks for taking the time to respond! Im hoping to order something in the next few weeks so this really gives me something to think about!

Cheers,
Josh