Shopdisney has a bag now

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Shopdisney has a bag now

Post by SFGiant »

https://www.shopdisney.com/indiana-jone ... 21866.html

It looks pretty good, based off accurate details it seems. What do you all think?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Shopdisney has a bag now

Post by bearbeast »

The bag itself looks quite nice, I like it. The strap can be replaced, I don't think the PVC one has a long life. And I am not a fan of plastic-leather-immitation. :rolling:

Cheers,
Bear
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

bearbeast wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:23 am The bag itself looks quite nice, I like it. The strap can be replaced, I don't think the PVC one has a long life. And I am not a fan of plastic-leather-immitation. :rolling:

Cheers,
Bear
@#$% me either I wish I had seen that before ordering two....but I really like the buckle.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

SFGiant wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:07 am
bearbeast wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:23 am The bag itself looks quite nice, I like it. The strap can be replaced, I don't think the PVC one has a long life. And I am not a fan of plastic-leather-immitation. :rolling:

Cheers,
Bear
@#$% me either I wish I had seen that before ordering two....but I really like the buckle.
The bag looks really good, so no worries! You can find two strips of veg tan leather for next to nothing! :TOH:
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Is this only available online? I'm curious if it's at the Parks somewhere :-k
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

bearbeast wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:16 am
SFGiant wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:07 am

Cheers,
Bear
The bag looks really good, so no worries! You can find two strips of veg tan leather for next to nothing! :TOH:
Are the straps hard to unbuckle from the bag? Are they like riveted in/together?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I'm impressed with the details for a "retail" bag. I wish they showed pictures of the interior set-up.

It looks like the strap is held on with rivets, but rivets aren't hard to drill-out/remove or since the strap is fancy plastic, just cut it off and reuse the buckle with a new strap attached with Chicago screws.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

SFGiant, I agree with Indiana Jeff. You can cut off the strap and dispose of it. If not, those pop-rivets are as easy to remove as they are to put it. I never trust them too much when I make leather items: I go with screws or 'real' rivets.

Indiana Jeff, I was also expecting pics of the interior, kept scrolling to the end... :rolling:

Bear
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

This one also looks very nice AND it has a leather strap. The canvas also looks sturdy and thick. Hopefully the Sankara stones cannot burn through it. :CR:

Bear
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

I received mine today.
The bag itself seems pretty nice authentic color, authentic gribblies, but I have a feeling it’s too thick/wide in the narrow side sections and not the right proportions. On the inside of the flap, there’s a neat logo, which I believe is oh! Just realized it’s the staff of ra.

The belt though is annoying and frustrating. Out of the package. If I didn’t know better, I wouldn’t have immediately realized it wasn’t actually leather, but the more you feel it you can tell it’s fake but it IS soft and feels nice albeit a little bit sticky. It feels like those really soft beef jerky strips you find in stores. The big problem is that the strap itself is REALLY short and you have to slide the buckle all the way back to the actual circle that’s attached to the bag for it to fit. The buckle itself is also put on upside down. I have no honest idea how to undo double-sided rivets if anybody can give me advice I’d appreciate that. I suppose I could try to make my own strap but maybe just buy one would be better if anybody can suggest one that’s not too expensive. I also realize this bag is probably meant to replicate the one scene in dial of Destiny as you can see in the trailers. The buckle isn’t on the front anymore.
Last edited by SFGiant on Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

You can use to pliers to drive the rivet heads apart and then a wire cutter to cut their stems.

Second option is to drill through the middle of the rivet.

Third option is still to cut the strap. My personal favourite as I am a bit lazy.

I think Wested has a strap, but it does not look too great, but is CHEAP!

Cheers
Bear
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

bearbeast wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:00 am You can use to pliers to drive the rivet heads apart and then a wire cutter to cut their stems.

Second option is to drill through the middle of the rivet.

Third option is still to cut the strap. My personal favourite as I am a bit lazy.

I think Wested has a strap, but it does not look too great, but is CHEAP!

Cheers
Bear
Yeah I’m just going to cut it lol

The wested strap isn’t too bad but the buckle is weird and too big looking. So I have an extra and will try that with the shopdisney buckle. I’m going to buy a couple WPG straps too they seem nice.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Good choice! (cutting the strap) ;)

I think WPG has quite a good reputation so you'll be happy with their stuff.

Cheers,
Bear
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

I guess I can't win. I received my WPG straps today and they're 7/8" wide and have two lines going down the sides like you see in Dial of Destiny. Those weren't shown on the website.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

SFGiant wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:13 pm I guess I can't win. I received my WPG straps today and they're 7/8" wide and have two lines going down the sides like you see in Dial of Destiny. Those weren't shown on the website.
Yes odd specs. 7/8” is the CS width but did not have the edge grooves.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

I'm just going to return them.

I'm sorry I'm just really frustrated, can anyone please tell me where to just get a prebuilt strap with the correct buckle that's not overly priced? For both Raiders and LC. Thank you
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I think makeitjones is your best choice. He shared yesterday this site, his work looks amazing:

https://sites.google.com/site/makeitjon ... bag-straps
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

The bag was half price in the UK this week, so I picked one up.

I did a video review here if you're all interested at all

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5bBLN-jSpNg&t=102s
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Great video, Leigh. I left a comment for you. :mrgreen:

Btw, which part of the UK are you from?
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

SFGiant wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:10 pm https://www.shopdisney.com/indiana-jone ... 21866.html

It looks pretty good, based off accurate details it seems. What do you all think?
It's a cute enough thing for 'normies', but when the real thing is so easy to obtain and modify with a proper strap (honestly the easiest mod ever), why bother? :-k
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Just as most of us want authentic, screen worn Indy gear, some folks prize officially merchandised "Disney" gear...

I must admit, if this ever comes back in stock, I'm tempted to order one just to use as a back-up when I do any "adventurey" travel (assuming it's somewhat durable). As much as I love my authentic MKVII's and agree that they were made for war, those things are almost a century old, and I'd hate to put too much abuse on them. Would be like shoving a WWII veteran into a battlefield today...
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

Canyon wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:15 pm Great video, Leigh. I left a comment for you. :mrgreen:

Thank you! I really appreciate that. I'm actually from the South West. Devon, to be specific.

In regards to prizing Disney gear as Castor said, I also think there's some mileage in supporting Disney when they try to produce these costume replica pieces. There's been a slight uptick recently in usable, decent replicas and I like to try and support that to encourage them to do more. I mean, compare this bag to a Dorfman. At least here they've put the effort in to get something that's reasonably accurate.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Leigh wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:49 pm
Canyon wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:15 pm Great video, Leigh. I left a comment for you. :mrgreen:

Thank you! I really appreciate that. I'm actually from the South West. Devon, to be specific.
Awesome! I'm originally from the South West as well, Bristol to be specific. :mrgreen: I'm now in the United States where I've resided for just over 12 years. :TOH:
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

Canyon wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:30 am
Leigh wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:49 pm

Awesome! I'm originally from the South West as well, Bristol to be specific. :mrgreen: I'm now in the United States where I've resided for just over 12 years. :TOH:
Oh awesome! Not far from me then!

I'd love to move to the US one day!
MegaLEGOFilms
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by MegaLEGOFilms »

With my annual pass discount I was able to get one in June for about $25, free shipping because other people in my family were buying stuff at the same time too. For that price, I’m very happy with mine. Not 100% accurate, but I don’t think I could get one better for cheaper than that unless I got a miracle haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk