Dial of Destiny Gun Discussion

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Cajunkraut

Dial of Destiny Gun Discussion

Post by Cajunkraut »

Well, it's been a little while. Glad to see a good mix of older and newer membership on the boards.

Never to stray far from my comfort zone, this thread is dedicated to DOD gun discussion. We'll have to wait for the digital release for more comprehensive screencaps on the Internet Movie Firearms Database (IMFDB). If we can play "I Spy" without spoilers, I say let's get on with it.

DOD's WW2 and 1969 settings allow for a variety of guns. There were the obligatory German P-38 pistols, K98 rifles, and a motorcycle-mounted MG-42 machine gun. I was thrilled to see what appeared to be a MAC-10 submachine gun and CAR-15 Commando rifle.

What did you catch that interested you? Or what didn’t you catch that you were surprised not to see?
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Dial of Destiny Gun Discussion

Post by Marcus Brody »

Hauke (the big goon) uses a PPSh-41 in the Tangiers chase.
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

If memory serves, the gun Shaw uses on top of the train was a P-08 Luger (that was dropped by Weber?).
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Herr Doktor wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:15 am If memory serves, the gun Shaw uses on top of the train was a P-08 Luger (that was dropped by Weber?).
Yep, definitely a P08, with its noticeable toggle lock.

Voller also has a PP or PPK.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Looks like imfdb believes it to be a PPK.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Coming from someone who isn't really a gun expert, I was curious about what gun Indy uses. :anxious: :mrgreen:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

One of my wishes for DoD was to have Indy carry a 1911. He did not carry a gun and he did not even shoot a 1911... :(
Canyon wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:19 am Coming from someone who isn't really a gun expert, I was curious about what gun Indy uses. :anxious: :mrgreen:
I also did not catch whose gun Indy uses in the tomb scene. :-k Voller's PPK maybe? Or was it Klaber's P38?

Will also wait for people who know guns better to say.

Cheers,
Bear
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Not sure whose gun Indy uses but the pistol he uses is a p-38, lot of those in the movie. First time I see Indy use two hands to fire a pistol though. :TOH:
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Oh wait, that's not correct, he uses two hands to fire the Browning Hi-Power in the Raven Bar.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

and maybe two hands to fire the revolver to blow out the lock on the cockpit canopy on the flying wing, funny how the memory starts getting rusty after 50... lol. :TOH:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

micsteam wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:48 am Not sure whose gun Indy uses but the pistol he uses is a p-38, lot of those in the movie. First time I see Indy use two hands to fire a pistol though. :TOH:
I guess it is Klaber's gun then. Guess I need a fourth watch just to make sure. :rolling: Not that I needed a reason for a rewatch...

Cheers,
Bear
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

I've gotta admit that I was disappointed not to see Indy toting a pistol of his own this time around. No gunbelt = no bueno IMO.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Cajunkraut wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:05 am I've gotta admit that I was disappointed not to see Indy toting a pistol of his own this time around. No gunbelt = no bueno IMO.
Yeah, even though I'd seen the trailers, costume pics, etc... I kept holding the hope we'd see Indy with a holster. :(

Cheers,
Bear
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

Yeah - didn't seem to be any open or concealed carry concerns from the baddies at all.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

makeitjones wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:12 am Yeah - didn't seem to be any open or concealed carry concerns from the baddies at all.
They were basically juggling handguns and flashing them every moment possible.

Cheers,
Bear
Kyarklover
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kyarklover »

That was a little interested why they didn't actually have any even carry a gun in this film. At least the whip was used at least twice
Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Iandiana Jones »

I imagine since Indy was wanted on suspicion of multiple murder he intentionally left his gun at home.

Or instructed Sallah not to grab it (I've only seen it once as yet).

Reason being he didn't want to be found armed while fleeing the country...
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Kyarklover wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:36 pm That was a little interested why they didn't actually have any even carry a gun in this film. At least the whip was used at least twice
The whip should have gotten more usage too... After the intro it wasn't used at all. :(
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Iandiana Jones wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:31 pm I imagine since Indy was wanted on suspicion of multiple murder he intentionally left his gun at home.

Or instructed Sallah not to grab it (I've only seen it once as yet).

Reason being he didn't want to be found armed while fleeing the country...
I think it might be the time setting of the adventure, too... In the 30's you can get away with carrying a gun somehow. In the late 60's I can see how it would be frowned upon. :-k
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

bearbeast wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:43 pm
Kyarklover wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:36 pm That was a little interested why they didn't actually have any even carry a gun in this film. At least the whip was used at least twice
The whip should have gotten more usage too... After the intro it wasn't used at all. :(
He uses it in the auction scene, but I think that's the last time.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indiana Jon wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:46 pm
bearbeast wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:43 pm
He uses it in the auction scene, but I think that's the last time.
Ahhh, you are right! It was only once in the intro, on the train I think. And once in Tangiers... Still, it's missing in a big chunk of the movie. :( It was one of the things I wanted for Indy V: loads of whip action. ](*,)
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

bearbeast wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:50 pm
Ahhh, you are right! It was only once in the intro, on the train I think. And once in Tangiers... Still, it's missing in a big chunk of the movie. :( It was one of the things I wanted for Indy V: loads of whip action. ](*,)
Yeah, the train usage was cool, but the whip was mostly a gag setup in the auction scene and it fell flat for me.

Firearms became illegal on commercial aircraft in '61, so that could be their excuse for him leaving the gun at home. Really, I suspect Disney didn't want the hero packing heat. It's clear they were going for a more gentle Indy this time around. Whether or not that worked is a matter of opinion.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I think this makes most sense, at least for the 60s part of the movie.

For the intro, he should at least have the holster, since they show him recovering the rest of his gear. :-k

I also get the feeling that Disney was behind this in some way or another.

Cheers,
Bear
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I wonder if it was meant to be a change in attitude for Indy, like he didn't have the desire to draw that kind of trouble anymore or something. Maybe even his views on death—"my friend just died."

Then when he had to, to save Helena and Teddy, he used a weapon. Part of Indy being "back"?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Hmmm, that's a nice take on it, Mike. I would add it might also be related to him losing Mutt in the war, or at least a combination with that aspect.

Would make him taking up a gun to save his friends even more meaningful. :-k

Cheers,
Bear
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I like that theory as well!

And while it's fun to speculate, a backstory would be an excellent reason for a novelization!!
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Mike wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:47 am I wonder if it was meant to be a change in attitude for Indy, like he didn't have the desire to draw that kind of trouble anymore or something. Maybe even his views on death—"my friend just died."

Then when he had to, to save Helena and Teddy, he used a weapon. Part of Indy being "back"?
To me, that was very obviously intentional and personally I really like this approach. It shows character development in a franchise that didn't necessarily require that sort of thing before. Given that our leading man is now 80 years old and can't necessarily do all the things he used to do, it allows for a quieter, more introspective take on things that were previously par for the course, such as violence. He's more Sr. here than Jr., and it's one of my favorite aspects of DoD. Mostly because it allows Ford the opportunity for a more measured, deeper, nuanced performance. Something he's always been capable of but was never really required in the previous films. I realize this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's what makes DoD so special for me.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Aside from the age numbers...character would be 70, not 80...I like your take.
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Mike wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:53 pm Aside from the age numbers...character would be 70, not 80...I like your take.
Actually, I was referring to Ford's age and how it may have influenced the script or the overall approach. But I can see how that might be confusing. My wording could've been better.