David Morgan... Didn't Make the DoD Whips?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

David Morgan... Didn't Make the DoD Whips?

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Has anyone seen David Morgan's DoD congratulations?

https://www.davidmorgan.com/shop-conten ... bullwhips/

Considering the embargo has been lifted for companies associated with DoD to make their announcements (HJ, Frost River, Hamilton, etc...), I find it odd that DM doesn't mention they supplied any whips for Indy IV on their "congratulations" page, especially since they go very into depth on the whips they supplied for I-III, and especially IV.

Is it safe to assume they didn't actually supply the whips this time around?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: David Morgan... Didn't Make the DoD Whips?

Post by bearbeast »

I think the whip was a copy, the modern Morgans look a bit differently. And in my mind less qualitative.

Cheers,
Bear
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

You barely see it, and mostly cgi...it kinda looks like plastic to me. Sorry :[
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

No sorries, IndianaJustin... It did look pretty bad in the close up, when we see it in his bag. :CR:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

They were made at David Morgan by Alex Ruggeri.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

IJJTM wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:35 am They were made at David Morgan by Alex Ruggeri.
Oh, I did not know about this. Was it confirmed? :shock:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

bearbeast wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:40 am
IJJTM wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:35 am They were made at David Morgan by Alex Ruggeri.
Yep, though I’m not sure if the source wants to be known at this time. :-k
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

IJJTM wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:15 pm
Got it, no stress! Cool to know the maker. :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

IJJTM wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:15 pm
Why is that? No offense, but I'm sure we've all grown to be wary of anonymous sources after what happened with he-who-shall-not-be-named...
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Not sure, it was public knowledge for a day, then the source took it down due to something in the comments.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, that's just not too much to go on. Maybe they did, and maybe they didn't, but at this point, even a micro operation like Frost River is enjoying and publicizing their involvement in Indy V, and I'd be shocked if FR paid any product placement fees.

I mean, without knowing the context of what you're referring to, it's so hard to even speculate.

But FWIW, I'd be wary of deleted social media "announcements" from third parties after embargos are lifted. Things like that are usually taken down because of false representation (e.g. a vendor may tell a customer something in private that is a fabrication/embellishment, and when the customer happily shares that info publicly, the vendor quickly asks them to delete their statement for fear of repercussions).
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

With all due respect, I know with 100% certainty that they were made at David Morgan, but for some reason the source who is an expert on Indy’s whip took down the post, so I am uncertain if they want their name attached.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Castor Dioscuri wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:12 pm I'm sorry, but with all due respect, that's just not too much to go on. Maybe they did, and maybe they didn't, but at this point, even a micro operation like Frost River is enjoying and publicizing their involvement in Indy V, and I'd be shocked if FR paid any product placement fees.

I mean, without knowing the context of what you're referring to, it's so hard to even speculate.

But FWIW, I'd be wary of deleted social media "announcements" from third parties after embargos are lifted. Things like that are usually taken down because of false representation (e.g. a vendor may tell a customer something in private that is a fabrication/embellishment, and when the customer happily shares that info publicly, the vendor quickly asks them to delete their statement for fear of repercussions).
I saw the post too, and know perfectly well who said it, but, as was stated above, it's been deleted now....So until it's reposted and the poster seems ok to have that info out? Best to leave it.....I'm a second witness though, if that's needed....I saw the same post...David Morgan's shop.....
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

:TOH:
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Not every company involved in the film received a product greenlight like Herbert Johnson or Hamilton Watches. For various reasons some are still not allowed to disclose involvement or offer detail. Interestingly Frost River announced their participation along with the release of the artifact edition of the pack seen in the film, then quickly took it down. They removed any mention of Indiana Jones or Dial of Destiny from their website and instead made the artifact edition an order option alongside the standard geologist pack, no explanation given. Something similar happened with that whip post. The information was accurate and may or may not be reposted later but for now it’s been taken down. In meantime it’s pretty clear who made the whips just by looking at them, but should be noted that flexible rubber stunt/prop whips were also made by the prop department, cast from the leather hero whips and were carried in certain action/stunt scenes.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Oh, that's interesting, I didn't realize Frost River had pulled their information as well. That would make complete sense why David Morgan would have done the same.

I take back what I said, hope no hard feelings, anyone. :)
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

No worries Castor, sorry if I came off as aggressive or anything in my messages, that was not my intention. :TOH:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Not at all, IJJTM! If anything, I apologize for being brusque in my replies, thank you for putting up with me! ;)

Well, now that this mystery is settled, I think I know where my next paycheck is going... :whip:
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Good to know about Alex Ruggeri at Morgan Whips, I would've thought left over or newly made whips by Jacka from KOTCS. :TOH: