Advintagebilt DLX? A Potential Utopian Future for Indy Hats

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Advintagebilt DLX? A Potential Utopian Future for Indy H

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Ah that's interesting, I had the same assumptions as Jeff, but it's awesome to know that Thomas is going all out with sewing techniques as well
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Advintagebilt DLX? A Potential Utopian Future for Indy H

Post by Illinois_Jones »

My guess is that he also leaves it on the block longer and subjects it to more rounds of heat and steam as well as more rapid cooling, etc., to get the fibers to interlock even more and squeeze more air out of the felt.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Advintagebilt DLX? A Potential Utopian Future for Indy Hats

Post by IJJTM »

Hey guys, my Advintage CS Hero arrived yesterday, and it's a beauty. Thomas was very accommodating to my specifics, and the picture does it no justice, I hope to post some more soon.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Now that’s a beaut.
Been wearing mine since I received it.

Wear that in good health.

Croft :mrgreen:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Very nice. Wear it in good health.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

Looks perfect! Very jealous right now
j2m
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by j2m »

Beautiful hat and loving the box too. I have a CS Hero on order from Thomas myself, the waiting part is the worse :? but his hats are so worth it.
I'm eager to see more pictures of yours, especially the inside with the liner... :CR: Does yours have a logo on it? I've asked for mine to be without, just plain so as to be as SA as possible.
Enjoy your beautiful lid and looking forward to seeing more pictures :TOH:
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Wow that hat looks perfect! Congrats IJJTM! Would love to see more pics as well.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I plan to get more in depth over the weekend, and I did indeed ask for a plain sweatband. He was able to print the logos inside the sweatband for me. But after research here, I came to the conclusion that the screen used hats said Adventurebilt on the sweatbands since Marc and Steve were on a time crunch and didn’t have any blanks at the time. Though the way I see it, my hat is what Bernie would have gotten if Steve and Marc had more time since he wanted a blank sweatband along with a hat slightly bigger to fit Ford’s head better. Mine is a 584, but still used Marc’s 58 Ford block.

Also, I know Steve said he used white liners for Ford’s hats and gold ones for the stunt hats, but the liner in my CS Hero changes from white to gold depending on the lights. :TOH:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Here are a few more photos real quick.
Image Image Image

Image Image Image
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

Looks fantastic really! Was Harrison a size 58 exactly for KOTCS? Does anyone know what size to get to be fully SA ?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's really great sweatband work there. :clap:
Loneken wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:02 pm Looks fantastic really! Was Harrison a size 58 exactly for KOTCS? Does anyone know what size to get to be fully SA ?
Both Michaelson and I (in addition to others) have AB hats made off of the block used to make the hero hats for HF. Michaelson had hats made on that block for years and years prior to CS ever being a thought in anyone's mind. I wear a 23" hat which equates to 58.42cm.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Ford wore a 58, which was apparently small for him since hatmakers assumed that Ford's hat size was in US head measurements rather than UK. So in reality Ford wore something between 58 and 59. Bernie wrote it off that the tighter hat would stay on better. I think you can get the Ford block if your head size is between 57.6-58.5 cm, though I could be wrong.

Also, Jeff, wasn't Michaelson's hat that you're referring to from the grey train block rather than the brown hero?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Now that you say that, that sounds right. Either way Michaelson and I wear 23” hats and CS hats came off of that same block for HF to wear.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

IJJTM wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:31 pm Hey guys, my Advintage CS Hero arrived yesterday, and it's a beauty. Thomas was very accommodating to my specifics, and the picture does it no justice, I hope to post some more soon.

Jumping a bit 'off-topic' here, but would you please be so kind and tell me about the hat box in the picture. Is that what the hat was shipped in, or is one of your own? If it is the later -- would you please point me to the source -- I would like to get a couple such as that one. Thanks, in advance and regarding the hat -- :tup: , :tup: ! Awesome :clap: ! W>
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

Just noticed Thomas stopped taking orders as of 2 days ago until at least Q3 this year. Hope he clears his backlog quickly so that I can get in on this amazing piece!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

WConly wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:17 pm
IJJTM wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:31 pm Hey guys, my Advintage CS Hero arrived yesterday, and it's a beauty. Thomas was very accommodating to my specifics, and the picture does it no justice, I hope to post some more soon.

Jumping a bit 'off-topic' here, but would you please be so kind and tell me about the hat box in the picture. Is that what the hat was shipped in, or is one of your own? If it is the later -- would you please point me to the source -- I would like to get a couple such as that one. Thanks, in advance and regarding the hat -- :tup: , :tup: ! Awesome :clap: ! W>
It comes with Thomas’ Masterpiece and CS Hero hats, or you can buy one separately here. https://shop.advintage.de/en/Accessory ... with-inlay
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Loneken wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:06 pm Just noticed Thomas stopped taking orders as of 2 days ago until at least Q3 this year. Hope he clears his backlog quickly so that I can get in on this amazing piece!
Thanks for pointing that out. I’m highly considering buying a Raider from him now, so looks like I have some time to decide.
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

IJJTM wrote:
Loneken wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:06 pm Just noticed Thomas stopped taking orders as of 2 days ago until at least Q3 this year. Hope he clears his backlog quickly so that I can get in on this amazing piece!
Thanks for pointing that out. I’m highly considering buying a Raider from him now, so looks like I have some time to decide.
I emailed him to see if he was maintaining some sort of wait list in the meantime so will post the response here once I hear back.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

IJJTM wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:30 pm
WConly wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:17 pm

It comes with Thomas’ Masterpiece and CS Hero hats, or you can buy one separately here. https://shop.advintage.de/en/Accessory ... with-inlay
Thanks! Boy that really is one fine looking lid! W>
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Thanks guys, also I’m not sure if Thomas would hold a wait list since he’s trying to lower his wait time. Seems a little counter-productive to me. :-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I'm glad to see he's put a hold on taking new orders until he can get caught up. Waaaaay too many vendors get buried with orders and that just leads to frustration.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Here’s a video I made where I go more in-depth about my thoughts on the hat.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BHkp0XOZivg
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Wow, just watched your video. You did an excellent job on the filming, editing, and showcasing the hat and package. It’s the perfect unboxing video that covers everything in a concise way. Thanks for making it and sharing.

I told myself I didn’t need another hat, but now I’m more curious than ever to try an AdVintage hat!
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Yes, that was a very nice video, easy and fun to watch. AdVintage hats are beautiful!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

tubasthebest wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:43 am Wow, just watched your video. You did an excellent job on the filming, editing, and showcasing the hat and package. It’s the perfect unboxing video that covers everything in a concise way. Thanks for making it and sharing.

I told myself I didn’t need another hat, but now I’m more curious than ever to try an AdVintage hat!
Thanks Tuba, now if only I can be less monotone. :lol:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

IndianaJustin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:29 am Yes, that was a very nice video, easy and fun to watch. AdVintage hats are beautiful!
Thanks Justin. :TOH:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Any more reviews and pictures of these?

Marc is a dear friend, and I planned on ordering a hat from him every so often. Of course it’s been years since he has made any hats, and I have always regretted not getting a Raiders fedora from him. I have several other hats made by Marc, including a special hat he made for my wedding. The Crystal Skull hat he made for me is something I occasionally wear, and somehow after nearly 15 years looks new still.

So with that, I’m excited at the prospect of these hats being made by Tomas. When he opens orders again I might have to pull the trigger.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

jnicktem wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:17 pm Any more reviews and pictures of these?

Marc is a dear friend, and I planned on ordering a hat from him every so often. Of course it’s been years since he has made any hats, and I have always regretted not getting a Raiders fedora from him. I have several other hats made by Marc, including a special hat he made for my wedding. The Crystal Skull hat he made for me is something I occasionally wear, and somehow after nearly 15 years looks new still.

So with that, I’m excited at the prospect of these hats being made by Tomas. When he opens orders again I might have to pull the trigger.
It’s a phenomenal hat. I think Thomas makes the best Indy hats on the market, I’ve never handled one of Marc’s, but comparing my CS hero to every other hat I’ve seen in person (and I’ve seen a lot), it’s the best constructed hat out there in my opinion.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

That’s great to hear. The photos I have seen look very similar to my hats made by Marc. Back in the day, I have owned probably somewhere around 30 fedoras made by lots of makers. I’ve become a bit of a snob when it’s come to my hats, and I have been impressed with what I have seen come from Thomas.