(Close Enough) Raiders Pocket Knife

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

(Close Enough) Raiders Pocket Knife

Post by HerculeTheFox »

Came across this knife in sporting goods store near me that does some consignment on guns and knives. I knew when I saw it, it wasn't exactly SA to the Raiders knife but it's the closest I've ever seen and it's a nice knife. It's a Puma and made in Germany from what I could find it was made around 1977 or so. I collect knives anyway so I didn't mind forking out what I did for this "Close Enough knife." I'm curious if anyone has ever come across one before. :D
Attachments
Picsart_23-06-18_13-21-41-066.jpg
Picsart_23-06-18_13-20-13-595.jpg
Picsart_23-06-18_13-18-57-083.jpg
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: (Close Enough) Raiders Pocket Knife

Post by bearbeast »

Nice find! Close enough in my book, too. I like the scale on the second side, the darker one.

And do I spot a bit of serration?

Cheers,
Bear
HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerculeTheFox »

Yes just at the very base, have found it useful. It is very fine serration too.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Very cool, hope it serves you well!

Bear
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

That looks great, and Puma is a nice knife to boot! :TOH:
HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerculeTheFox »

I know it's a small piece of gear but I wish it had made it into more films. I have the same opinion of the gloves too.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

It should have at least popped up in CS, when Indy uses Mutt's knife and then the dagger he finds in the 'grave'.

Bear
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

This might not be the best place to put this, but since it's active I'll drop it here.

I have a Linder that the locking bar (IDK knife terminology...it's the long piece of metal on the back of the knife with the locking tab) inexplicably broke in half. Anyone know anyplace that does knife repair?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

If you're in the US I think there are plenty of knife makers and armourers that could take care of it. :-k maybe armourers are a better choice, knife makers might not want to do such a job.

If you are any place else (like me :rolling: ) then I think you need to do it yourself. Or maybe a locksmith/keysmith?

Cheer,
Bear
HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerculeTheFox »

Hollowpond wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:35 am This might not be the best place to put this, but since it's active I'll drop it here.

I have a Linder that the locking bar (IDK knife terminology...it's the long piece of metal on the back of the knife with the locking tab) inexplicably broke in half. Anyone know anyplace that does knife repair?
If that happend to one of my knives I would try to contact the manufacture, even if it is an older model knife. Linder might have you mail it to them and repair it for you or know who can fix it. I have had luck with this in similar situations, (should note I've never tried it with Linder.) Other than that I would look into a local "small time" machine shop near by. Any machinist worth their salt should be able to make a template out of the existing part. But I would definitely try to contact manufacture first.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Pretty sure Linder have closed their doors. I'll keep looking.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Would appear Linder closed last summer.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/im- ... e.1875843/

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Wow, what a shame... :(
HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerculeTheFox »

I hadn't heard about them closing, very unfortunate!
parfaitelumiere
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by parfaitelumiere »

hello.
I was browsing trying to find informations about the raiders pocket knife.
I see sone good informations, mostly about Linder closure, also some wrong informations, about knifemaker who can make it.
Industrial knifemaking is far from handmade knife, the processes are completely different, especially the blade edge shaping, it requires industrial process, to get accurate finish (flat edge, no concave edge)
I am knifemaker, and it can be easy for me to design something very accurate, get it laser cut, shaped, and then I can make assembly, shaping, polish and sharpening.
The investment for me to design such a knife and get in prototyped would be reasonable, but the investment to develop a complete tool set, to get accurate sharpening is a bit more costly, however it's not that bad.
The thing I am missing is reference pictures, the only picture I saw is a small definition screenshot, which is not very informative.
I dug a bit on the internet and read about a linder knife.
For pictures, would thing the handle length is 11cm, lockback, centered tip blade, stainless bolsters, stag handle, brass rivets
If anyone here has screenshots to share, archive pictures, and accurate pictures of the bolster material, just to confirm if the color is same as the blade, meaning stainless, or more pinkish, meaning german silver, then I can start designing it, and get it laser cut very quickly.
If there is german silver, it will be more difficult, because this material is now quite restricted in European union, but from pics I saw, it's stainless.
I already designed several knives for my own business project, which is to make new regional knives, like those made in second half of XIX century in France, I also designed replicas of technical english knives known as barrel knives.

couteau indy Linder 312111.png
linder_312111.jpg
1488243839_51_3042_4.jpg
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I think the best picture of the knife from the movie is what you have posted. As you know it only gets a few seconds of screen time.

The best place I know for clear screen grabs is movie-screencaps.com. They have a 4K copy of ROLA.

Your trained eye may be able to pick up details most miss.
Regards,

Indiana Jeff
parfaitelumiere
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by parfaitelumiere »

found it, thanks.
I melted the two best pictures of that knife.
indianaraiders4k-movie-screencaps.com-5411.jpg
It looks very close to the Linder but the blade base seems a bit different, and actually, has a much better shape, that is much closer to a real knife fro the 30's.
I think the handle is not stag, but plastic, as this is the exact kind of finish I saw just today in a friends cutlery shop, but this can be done from stag, it will require a very picky selection to match the design.
In this case, the rivets are probably steel, not brass nor german silver, that's really helpful, as this material is the easiest to find.
I already started my design, I will work on it and maybe offer a run here and on therpf forum, using genuine stag, depending on how many knives we can do, the price may change a bit, but probably won't be under 150€
Another concern I have would be the shipping, the item is small, but my country doesn't offer international small packet anymore, and the lowest sworldwide hipping cost is more probably around 40 bucks now, EU shipping would be lower.