Advice for altering a Schott B3 Bomber Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Advice for altering a Schott B3 Bomber Jacket

Post by ijq8 »

Looking for some general...and specific advice on altering a Schott B3 Bomber Jacket (Style 257S). I just acquired this jacket for a song. It's probably between 30-35 years old but it is in superb condition, well kept and hardly used. Only problem, it is several sizes too large (especially in chest, waist, and shoulders). I think it might be possible, but I'm wondering if you any of you have any experience/advice with the altering a B3 for a better fit. More specifically, any recommendations on where I could get it altered? I'm physically located near Kaiserslautern, Germany, if anyone is familiar with that area. I'm also willing to ship (I have access to US APO), but that seems like it might be more complex requiring all sorts of measurements. Any advice, per usual, would be most helpful.

Moderators, if this isn't in the right place, my apologies.

Cheers,
ijq8
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice for altering a Schott B3 Bomber Jacket

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Based on your description of the sizing, you would essentially have to have the entire jacket rebuilt. That’s particularly hard to do with leather and would likely cost as much as a new jacket with the risk of the alteration not coming out to your satisfaction.

As much as you may like the jacket my suggestion is if you bought it for a song, resell it for a profit and use the proceeds to buy a jacket that fits you.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff