Amazon - 10 foot, 16 plait kangaroo - $150

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Rondiana Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Amazon - 10 foot, 16 plait kangaroo - $150

Post by Rondiana Jones »

Hi. New guy here.

Maybe this is heresy, but does anyone have experience with this whip seller on Amazon?

Is this $150 reproduction too good to be true?

Bull Whip - 10 Foot 16 Plaits Kangaroo Hide Leather Equestrian Bullwhip - Leather Belly & Leather Bolster Inside Indiana Jones Black
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YRS2G1Y/

I'm not keen on it being black, but as long as the quality isn't the worst, the price is certainly right.

Thank you for any advice.

Ron

p.s. I've been peeking in on IndyGear once or twice a year since, like, 1999 or 2000. It's like window shopping... I was one of those kids in 1981 who spent all day dressed up as Indy and playing with rope whips and cheap leather whips from the fair. I got pretty good at some of it. But I've never splurged on a real whip. I tried ordering from, I think, Dave Morgan in 2000, but it kinda never happened for some reason. Anyway...
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Amazon - 10 foot, 16 plait kangaroo - $150

Post by bearbeast »

Welcome, Rondiana!

I think LB most likely stands for Leather Bond, a seller from Ebay and Etsy. They don't have a reputation for making great whips.

Yes, $150 is cheap, but also expensive for what you are getting. If I remember right nylon and even nails were found inside the whips.

You can do a search for ”Leather bond" here on COW and see what some people say.

I think you are better off saving some money and getting a whip from a more reputable maker.

Cheers,
Bear
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I’d recommend Todd’s costumes over that if you want a cheap, leather whip.
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

You could always make your own whip - takes time but getting that first crack from something you've made from scratch is pretty special.

Make your first one with paracord core and bellies (to get the hang of braiding) and finish off with a leather overlay.

100 m roll of paracord, roll or 2 of artificial sinew, 9 inch nail, leather lace cutting tool and about 6 sq ft of 1 mm thick kip leather. Book on braiding leather optional.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Magnoli also has a nice offer. Even a deluxe version. :-k

And for sure, like Makeitjones said, I would encourage anyone to get into whip making. It is a very nice obsession. Uh... I mean hobby! :rolling:

Cheers,
Bear
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

It's not looking good. I'd save more money and get a proper leather whip or a nylon one if you don't want to break a bank.