Tampa Bay Whip Enthusiasts

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Tampa Bay Whip Enthusiasts

Post by JohnnyD97 »

They say when two or more COW members get together, an angel gets their Raider's bash. Today I made my way to the Tampa Bay Whip Enthusiasts monthly get together after hearing about it from fellow Tampa resident and COW member PyramidBlaster. Everyone out there was very friendly and eager to help a newbie like me learn better technique. Steven from 21st Century Whips spent over an hour with me going over some great stuff and I definitely walked away much better than I showed up. Not only was it a great way to learn technique from guys and girls who have been cracking whips for years, but I also got to see and handle a variety of different whips made with a variety of different materials. If anyone else has access to a similar group I highly recommend you check them out. Yes there are YouTube videos and DVDs but getting immediate feedback on technique, and not to mention the company, is awesome.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Re: Tampa Bay Whip Enthusiasts

Post by PyramidBlaster »

It was great to see you out there! The TBWE group has definitely had its ups and downs, but there's a core group that's been there for well over a decade now. Think we're going through a bit of a low spot, but that will certainly go on the uptick once we get closer to the release of 'Indy 5'. It's definitely been a bit slow lately, but hope to see you out there again!

I just realized that yesterday was the 10th anniversary of my first visit... Before that i'd never been in contact with anyone else who had any real experience handling whips, let alone anyone else who made them... That visit changed everything!

I just recently started going after a long absence, lots of family issues and I had severe tendonitis in my right elbow... I'm making it a point to go every month now. It's easier now that even my little ones are old enough to start cracking... Now i'm having to buy a couple of whips for them to use until I can eventually make one especially for them! A couple of basic Krist King stockwhips should do the trick...

I'll indeed echo that if there's a whip group near you, you should go! Support your local crackers....
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

I live in Apollo Beach, so pretty dang close by. How does one get in touch, etc?
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

:whip: Howdy, are you still getting together once a month? How can I find out more info? Thanks!
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

I'll be down at my place in Sarasota in April. I'll have to look this up when I head down.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

We are still getting together. Our monthly meetings have moved to the 3rd Saturday of the month, AND we do a couple of shows a year---Coming up, TBWE is doing the Pinellas Pepper Fest the last weekend of April. I typically do the shows, but can't make it this April.

https://www.facebook.com/TBWhip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://pinellaspepperfest.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out!!!

PyramidBlaster
agary7046
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by agary7046 »

Is there still a Tampa group meeting? No posts on the Facebook page or anything.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

agary7046 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:05 am Is there still a Tampa group meeting? No posts on the Facebook page or anything.
I have been wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking. :TOH:
agary7046
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by agary7046 »

IndianaJustin wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:19 pm
agary7046 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:05 am Is there still a Tampa group meeting? No posts on the Facebook page or anything.
Looks like we're it. I'm over in Tarpon Springs, you?
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

agary7046 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:54 pm
IndianaJustin wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:19 pm
Looks like we're it. I'm over in Tarpon Springs, you?
I'm near Bradenton. I know there was someone else, I just can't remember who. It's been a couple of years or more since I last read about them here... :-k