Help sizing Wested Raiders for myself and son

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

raychenc
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Help sizing Wested Raiders for myself and son

Post by raychenc »

I am planning on getting a Wested Raiders (standard or custom) jacket to replace my previous leather jacket (that was donated accidentally by my wife).

The jacket is for me, but I want my son to wear it as an heirloom in the future. I am trying to size it so we can both wear it comfortably. How would you recommend the sizing (based on measurements using tape measure):

Me: 5’7”, chest 36”, arm 23.5, back 23”

Him: 6’0” (16 years old, possibly growing still), chest 36”, arm 24.5”, back 25”

Should I just split the difference, or pick his size? I know there is compromise, but wanting advice as to which direction to compromise. At this time I cannot buy two jackets. Thank you in advance (first post).
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Help sizing Wested Raiders for myself and son

Post by xmasters »

You should order based on your Sons sizing (that's what I'd do), but off the rack might be be a bit too short in the sleeves (for him, not you), so you'll have to go custom and order his measurments and add a half inch to the sleeve measurment to be safe.

However the sleeves will be too long for you if you're going to wear first..

So what to do. To be fair I think you need to realise if you're 5'7 and your son is 6'0" (still growing possibly) you can't really pass on a jacket of yours to him if it's based on your measurments, it won't fit him well, so it's not really a pass on heirloom he's going to appreciate. He might pretend he does, but lets be realistic here.

Buy yourself a jacket, and start saving up to buy another one for him.
raychenc
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Re: Help sizing Wested Raiders for myself and son

Post by raychenc »

Thank you for your response. I keep remeasuring myself and my on. I think the 36” Otr will fit him and be a bit big on me, but that’s ok.

Sizing was tough…and picking leather was almost as tough.

Wound up picking washed lamb. Needed something lighter so I can wear more seasons. Wanted some patina that can evolve, so ruled out goat.