Close enough Raiders handgun

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Close enough Raiders handgun

Post by bearbeast »

Since I can't really own firearms in my country, only airsoft stuff, I've been looking for a close enough airsoft replica of the Raiders M1917 S&W.

Tanaka makes a cap gun, but it's really light. I had one a while ago and was quite disappointed in it. They also have an airsoft version which I did not so much like, because it does not have removable shells. On top of this it is quite pricey, at around 200 Euro.

Some weeks ago I stumbled on the HG-131 GFC replica, which looked close enough to my eye. Though definitely not an M1917, it has some elements of its general aesthetic. It also has a grip adapter, that I reaaaally hoped I could take off. Also, it's not full metal, which is normally a deal breaker for me, but I decided to go for it, since it was also quite cheap at 40 Euro + shipping.

This is the original condition the replica came in:

It was a really easy task to remove the grip adapter, and the replica looks great without it:

Unlike other airsoft replicas the 'bullets' really fill up the cylinder:

It even has an 'ejector', but you have to be careful, otherwise the whole cylinder slides off. :rolling:

One other thing is: the 'bullets' that come with the replica are not so nice. I bought replacement shells, which for some reason look different, and quite amazing. Here is a picture, where you can see the original shells, and the new ones (who try and imitate real bullets).

If you want a really cheap Indy-ish handgun I would recommend it. Not screen accurate, but for me it works OK. (until I find another closer one, that IS full metal... :roll: )

Cheers,
Bear
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Close enough Raiders handgun

Post by Nickboss9936 »

I got mine in a few weeks ago!! It is really cool. Haven't actually put the green gas in it yet but it's so fun reloading it and watching the cylinder turn counter clockwise just like the S&W.

The thing that I don't like is when I took apart the grips to take off that piece behind the trigger, the metal bars in the grip started rattling around and it sounds like a rattle sometimes. I can always go back in the handle and glue those to the grips but just haven't bothered with it yet.

It's a really cool close enough. I've always thought the S&W was just a little more Indy's style than the Webley for some reason. Also him using the Browning hi power was so #### cool in those few scenes. (and on the bantu wind!)
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Yesss, I love the Webley, it was one of the first airsoft replicas I acquired, but the S&W is Indy's handgun for me too!

I like this replica a lot, I only wish it was full metal. ](*,)

A Hi-Power airsoft pistol is on my wishlist... I've been putting off getting one for some time now. Never too late, though.

Cheers,
Bear
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I always think of the Webley for Indy; it's a bit more of a quirky choice and looks rather unique- I think it suits him more with his rather international tastes too.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I am not sure why it's the S&W for me. I think I've seen Raiders the most and on top of that the S&W gets way more screen time. :-k
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I think because there are so many iconic moments with the S&W in Raiders, including a lot of close-up shots and even promo photos, that there is something very Indy about it. Even though the Webley became the "standard" it just never played as great a role as the S&W did in the first film. Heck, the two best "gun" moments in the subsequent films (that come to my mind quickly anyway) are the MP40 mow-down in Brunwald Castle and the Luger multi-shot atop the tank.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indy Magnoli wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:34 pm I think because there are so many iconic moments with the S&W in Raiders, including a lot of close-up shots and even promo photos, that there is something very Indy about it. Even though the Webley became the "standard" it just never played as great a role as the S&W did in the first film. Heck, the two best "gun" moments in the subsequent films (that come to my mind quickly anyway) are the MP40 mow-down in Brunwald Castle and the Luger multi-shot atop the tank.
Yup, I believe that's exactly it! Indy really uses the S&W in loads of iconic scenes in Raiders: handing it over to Belloq, then Indy packing his suitcase, Ravenbar shootout, swordsman fight and we get another glimpse of it when Indy chases baskets.

The Webley gets some screen time on the biplane and then when Indy checks for ammo and it's empty. Then in KotCS we only see it in the graveyard scene... I think that's it, but I might be wrong. :-k
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

bearbeast wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:34 am The Webley gets some screen time on the biplane and then when Indy checks for ammo and it's empty. Then in KotCS we only see it in the graveyard scene... I think that's it, but I might be wrong. :-k
I believe he fires it while chasing the tank on horseback too.

Is that the only time the Webley is shot on screen? :-k

- I.C.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indiana Charles wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:07 am
bearbeast wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:34 am The Webley gets some screen time on the biplane and then when Indy checks for ammo and it's empty. Then in KotCS we only see it in the graveyard scene... I think that's it, but I might be wrong. :-k
I believe he fires it while chasing the tank on horseback too.

Is that the only time the Webley is shot on screen? :-k

- I.C.
Hmmm, I think he shoots with it from the plane as well, but I am not sure. Though I did watch LC last week only.... Even so it is not so much screen time for the Webley. :-k