Top Jacket Maker These days?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

AldenanaJones
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Top Jacket Maker These days?

Post by AldenanaJones »

Used to be a member here many, many, many years ago.
At that time the Wested jackets were among the best options. I know Peter sadly passed away since that time. Are Wested jackets still as good as they used to be?

Just curious what the general consensus is on the top jacket makers these days? (Both best bang for your buck makers and/or top tier $$). I notice some new maker names that I don’t think existed way back then.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Top Jacket Maker These days?

Post by CM »

Well that will be personal opinion, right? Best, as in best made; strongest; most accurate patterns and materials; bang for buck - a combination of all of these?

Wested are pretty well made and affordable still. And quick to obtain. I prefer their current work to when I first bought from them 20 years ago. Patterns have much improved.

Some of the newer makers, like Steel and Jones have actually had documented access to film used jackets (materials and measurements) so that helps.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

In terms of bang for your buck and value for money, I’d be surprised if Wested can be beaten.
I have a Bill Kelso and I love it more, but it was a lot more money!
AldenanaJones
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by AldenanaJones »

Quite right! I was probably a bit too vague and I know most answers will be a matter of opinion. Perhaps only screen accuracy could have an objective answer.

How about…

Best bang for your buck:

Most screen accurate:

Best fit and finish:

Favorite maker:
AldenanaJones
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by AldenanaJones »

Thunderspy wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:53 am In terms of bang for your buck and value for money, I’d be surprised if Wested can be beaten.
I have a Bill Kelso and I love it more, but it was a lot more money!

That’s good to know. I had 2 Westeds in the past but back then I was too skinny to really pull off the look so I ended up selling them. Fast forward to now, I think I’ve put on enough heft to be able to wear them and look okay. (Haha :’() So I’m thinking about giving it another go.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The most expensive vendors out there (there's more than one) will get you the most screen accurate jacket, but you won't get it quickly (it's going on 7 months now for my Relic Hunter). Wested have upped their game in the last year or two and their legacy range of jackets are the most accurate *they* have put out and they are pretty good. Also the turn around is still about 29 days.

I'd ask yourself what are your requirements. Are you a jacket freak, do you know all the tiny diffferences and quirks of the different movie jackets. If the answer is yes you might want to consider spending extra money on one of the more expensive vendors. If you're not a jacket freak and you can't tell the jacket difference between one scene to another, then Westeds excellent legacy range will be more than good enough for you.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

xmasters wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:05 pm The most expensive vendors out there (there's more than one) will get you the most screen accurate jacket, but you won't get it quickly (it's going on 7 months now for my Relic Hunter).
You're kidding? Mine took 10 months but I that was during lockdown so I had to give them some leeway. But they don't have that excuse now. Have they been in contact at all?

The thing I would say is that the leather is delicious. No other jackets I've seen have that quality. But from what I've seen of Wested's Legacy series on here they look not bad at all. Also I've been getting my Wested novapelle out recently and I'd forgotten how much I like it (it's not screen-accurate, it's just a nice, heavier leather which ages well).
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Thunderspy wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:14 pm
xmasters wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:05 pm The most expensive vendors out there (there's more than one) will get you the most screen accurate jacket, but you won't get it quickly (it's going on 7 months now for my Relic Hunter).
You're kidding? Mine took 10 months but I that was during lockdown so I had to give them some leeway. But they don't have that excuse now. Have they been in contact at all?
Last I heard was the end of July when the email arrived to confirm measurements, which I did. That was the most recent communication. I'd heard on the grapevine that 8 months was the current wait time, and it's coming up to that for mine, so fingers crossed.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Hi guys,

Just to inform waiting time, for anyone ordering a jacket these days, according to our current schedule.

Steele & Jones

SIZING AND MEASUREMENTS PROCESS = January, 23rd (approx.)
JACKET COMPLETION = Febraury, 27th (approx.)

Cheers.-
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Indiego Jones wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:28 am Hi guys,

Just to inform waiting time, for anyone ordering a jacket these days, according to our current schedule.

Steele & Jones

Cheers.-

My vote is for Steele and Jones. 100% worth the wait!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Yup. They don't disappear on you!! ;)
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Dr. Jones, Jr. wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:14 am

Steele & Jones

Cheers.-

I second this. Diego was top-notch professional. I opted for the mockup option and glad that I did. Finished product was 100% spot on. Mine is their cowhide and it feels super soft to boot.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Cowboy wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:50 pm
Dr. Jones, Jr. wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:14 am

Steele & Jones

Cheers.-

I second this. Diego was top-notch professional. I opted for the mockup option and glad that I did. Finished product was 100% spot on. Mine is their cowhide and it feels super soft to boot.
S&J has been the best to work with in my opinion. I have also gotten a custom Wested and Bill Kelso, they’re great… but Diego’s communication is just on another level. I also opted for a mock-up jacket and it was totally worth it. Diego saw that it could use a little length and still be accurate proportionally.

Can’t wait for y’all to see what he and I have cooked up… when I started the process it was completely unique. My December 1st dispatch can’t come soon enough!!
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

For accuracy, value, and service Steele & Jones can't be beat!
Indy_Dave
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Dave »

I think Steele and Jones hit the right spot between price and accuracy. I've bought several jackets from them and have been very pleased with every one.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

I'm curious, what is the mock-up jacket? I must have missed an announcement.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

An option to pay for a cloth mock up jacket to make sure it fits you before the jacket is made properly in leather.
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

For what it’s worth. I bought a wested hero in 2015 as it was probably the cheaper jacket at that time (might still be) as well as being the “official” jacket. I was happy to have had a jacket made by Peter but soon after I realised the leather for me felt way to thick and too smooth etc. No striations or character. Didn’t drape how I felt it should. In short I wanted thinner lamb skin jacket.
In 2017/18 I went through the same thing you did and BK was then hot property and sought after and there was a lot of hoo ha about them so I got a relic hunter. I was and am very happy and it saited my jacket thirst although I did find my leather that was used a little on the chocolate-ty side from what they advertised. Saying that though the drape etc. is still the best I’ve seen. Almost has a nappa type effect. A lot of “great” looking jackets out there but upon further digging they all look as stiff as my grandmothers sheets even from the YouTube reviews. Only other leather drape that compares is the wested shrunken lamb which I don’t think is made anymore. But you might not care about that aspect!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Frederick wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:29 pm Only other leather drape that compares is the wested shrunken lamb which I don’t think is made anymore.
It is.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Best for the money? Wested I suspect. Strong designs and accuracy, and sometimes great leather choices too.

Best for screen accuracy? Steele and Jones...I have two and they're both the closest you could ever get. Superb stuff.

Best for fit and finish? Fit? Steele and Jones again, they have a great system for matching jackets to you, and sizing based on pictures and other jackets that you KNOW fit you. Superb. But if I had to say one thing bad about them? It's the finish..Both of the linings have worn through, and the thread has broken several times, which I don't hate, since it means I can learn to sew and make it work, but isn't quite as superb as their leathers or designs! So, for finish? I'd say Kelso first, then Wested and then S&J..

Best overall? (Favourite maker) - Steele and Jones. It was SUCH a delight working with Diego to make the jackets and seeing them come through...Nothing beats that...They've NAILED the pattern, and the leather choice, and their prices aren't at all insane too...So they're easily in the lead for me there. I've not dealt with Kelso to buy a jacket, so can't comment there, and Wested are fine, but not as able to email back and forth as Diego is....So, Steele and Jones, easy winners I suspect.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Hi fifthchamber, thanks for your detailed post. Please, send us an email about the stitching problems. We don't charge anything to make repairs on our jackets.
Best regards.-
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Another good balance between price and accuracy is our White Label Adventure Jacket: https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/advent ... p-731.html
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Indy Magnoli wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:22 pm Another good balance between price and accuracy is our White Label Adventure Jacket: https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/advent ... p-731.html
Indy, what’s the lead time on the WL jackets now?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Indiego Jones wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:08 am Hi fifthchamber, thanks for your detailed post. Please, send us an email about the stitching problems. We don't charge anything to make repairs on our jackets.
Best regards.-
Sent Diego! Thank you!
Although, as I say, most of the wear patches and broken lining seams were repaired by me...There's still a couple in the arms, but honestly, I'd not want to lose the jackets for the time it would take to send them over to you and get them back! They're used so regularly here....But! It's a cool offer, and maybe in summer when I can't go near leather without sweating! :TOH: :TOH:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

fifthchamber wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:40 am
Indiego Jones wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:08 am Hi fifthchamber, thanks for your detailed post. Please, send us an email about the stitching problems. We don't charge anything to make repairs on our jackets.
Best regards.-
Sent Diego! Thank you!
Although, as I say, most of the wear patches and broken lining seams were repaired by me...There's still a couple in the arms, but honestly, I'd not want to lose the jackets for the time it would take to send them over to you and get them back! They're used so regularly here....But! It's a cool offer, and maybe in summer when I can't go near leather without sweating! :TOH: :TOH:
No problem!
We are here by the time you need assistance.
Cheers.-
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Kokopelli wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:45 pm
Indy Magnoli wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:22 pm Another good balance between price and accuracy is our White Label Adventure Jacket: https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/advent ... p-731.html
Indy, what’s the lead time on the WL jackets now?
I think it's officially eight months, but we're working to get this number down over the coming year.