Indy gear from Karolian Dry Goods

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Hey there!

Karolian Dry Goods has released a line of Indy gear including pants, shirt (classic & Indy 5), web belts, bag strap & gloves. https://karolian-dry-goods.myshopify.com/

I've ordered a classic Indy shirt & a pair of pants. I'll let you know what I think when they arrive!
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Indy gear from Karolian Dry Goods

Post by tomek9210 »

Please review them when you get the package.

Is it a new company? Items look good. I'm curious about the quality.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

tomek9210 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:29 am Please review them when you get the package.

Is it a new company? Items look good. I'm curious about the quality.
same here! especially curious about the pants. they're cotton twill which is about half the weight of wool from what i've read - also curious on the sizing of the pants...
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Wow, looks quite good, thank you for sharing! :TOH:

Will be waiting for some pics of the new gear!

Cheers,
Bear
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Adam Karolian has been around for a while as a seller on Etsy, though he's mostly been making/selling Has Solo cosplay gear. It's new that he's expanding his offerings to include Indy and is doing larger runs of things. Check him out Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/karoliandrygoods/?hl=en
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

So I reached out to him regarding the pants and received the following reply (very quickly, I might add!): "Thanks for reaching out!

In regard to the sizing on the pants, they will fit like most retail brands. For instance, I wear a 36 waist at both Old Navy, and LL Bean, and I am wearing a 36 in the product photos. The trousers are currently in production, so they should arrive shortly."

I also asked about the cut of the shirts, and was informed that "I would say they are more of a tailored fit, not a euro slim, but not boxy."

Adam was very friendly and I personally look forward to trying a pair of the pants in a couple months. It sounds like they'll be a little easier to get properly fitting pairs of than, say, vintage or Wested's brands, etc.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

It would be a lot easier if the sizing chart was fuller - sleeve length, pit to pit, shoulder to shoulder, true waist etc.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I’ve heard the stuff is good, I’m just irked that he hasn’t put the dark khaki up for pre-order yet.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks for sharing. I may have to pick up one of the 'seconds' shirts. I'm pretty good with my Indy shirt inventory, but at $25 that's a great deal.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

I found Adam Karolian very pleasant and professional to deal with, both answering questions and shipping products quickly. Oh, and his shipping costs are very reasonable!

I have an Azuma size 16.5, and WPG shirts in medium and large. Although the Indy shirt is supposed to be slim-fitting (I'm sorta average at 5' 7" and 150 lbs), I like my shirts a little roomier, and found the WPG large more comfortable than the medium.

When I saw the Karolian Dry Good Indy items pop up among the Indy Facebook groups, going by the size chart on his website, I ordered a classic adventure shirt in large. Nice shirt, seems well-made, a little more on the tan side so not sure about screen accuracy. I did a machine wash & dry on the delicate cycle, and the shirt seemed none the worse for the wear.

But I found the large fits more like the WPG medium -- tighter across the chest and shoulders than I prefer. Then I ordered an XL classic adventure shirt (one of Karolian's "seconds," which have incorrect buttons) and this one fits like the WPG large. So anybody ordering one may want to keep that in mind.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I bought one of the seconds shirts in M. Size is correct for European medium, though probably on the short side on the length on the arms and body. It fits snugly, though I could do with losing a few pounds. The buttons as noted are too big, I'll need to swap them out.

The weight of the fabric reminds me of the AB shirt. I's still a bit thick to be accurate to the NH screen used shirt, but this is an Indy 5 so the bets are off as to if it's accurate to that.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Would you mind to take a few key measurements like pit to pit, arm length, back length and collar?

:TOH:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Funny this.
I too just found him through Etsy my self. On the esty it more $$ but free shipping, through this site with fast shipping it’s less.
:-k
Best part he’s literally 10 miles from where I live +/-
His Indy 5 shirt is what I’m eyeing,are the button qty correct though, research must be done.

Croft :mrgreen:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Indiana Jeff wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:55 pm Thanks for sharing. I may have to pick up one of the 'seconds' shirts. I'm pretty good with my Indy shirt inventory, but at $25 that's a great deal.
Hmm...I've just been thinking about how to display my Howard Studios Indy bust and was thinking of how to us a shirt. A second might be perfect for doing this!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Pit to pit 21.5"
Back length 28"
Collar 15.5" approx.
Arm from shoulder 24.25"
Sleeve 33"

mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Dr. Jones, Jr. wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:16 pm So I reached out to him regarding the pants and received the following reply (very quickly, I might add!): "Thanks for reaching out!

In regard to the sizing on the pants, they will fit like most retail brands. For instance, I wear a 36 waist at both Old Navy, and LL Bean, and I am wearing a 36 in the product photos. The trousers are currently in production, so they should arrive shortly."

I also asked about the cut of the shirts, and was informed that "I would say they are more of a tailored fit, not a euro slim, but not boxy."

Adam was very friendly and I personally look forward to trying a pair of the pants in a couple months. It sounds like they'll be a little easier to get properly fitting pairs of than, say, vintage or Wested's brands, etc.
Thanks for this tip! Based on this I reached out to Adam and updated the sizing on my order. I had ordered a size larger than I normally wear assuming the sizing would be closer to 'true sizes' like Wested pants rather than a standard retail fit. He said if the pants didn't fit well I could exchange them for another size without a problem, which I really appreciated. Looking forward to adding another shirt and pants to my growing collection!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Just ordered a L
Going by the above dimension's the L should be fine.
I'll post my dimensions when I get it.
I'm assuming the 33 for the sleeve is base from the center across the shoulder and down to cuff.
Put these up against a size 17 Azuma and they were close, but needed more.
The L should be perfect.
Missed the boat on the seconds though, will watch the Bazar.

Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

mr_alex wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:02 pm
Thanks for this tip! Based on this I reached out to Adam and updated the sizing on my order. I had ordered a size larger than I normally wear assuming the sizing would be closer to 'true sizes' like Wested pants rather than a standard retail fit. He said if the pants didn't fit well I could exchange them for another size without a problem, which I really appreciated. Looking forward to adding another shirt and pants to my growing collection!
My pleasure! Looking forward to trying some myself in a few months. It seems like Adam has some excellent customer service. Let me know how the sizing attempt worked when they arrive!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Ordered on Tuesday and it showed up today.
Nice to finally have a supplier less than 20 miles away.

In the cold wash now, once dried I'll take measurement's and some pictures this weekend.
Tried it on and the fit felt good, my stomach will be the deciding factor if I do go
up one size, which would be a first XL I've ever bought.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

OK, first impression.
Very well put together.
Color: can't say to screen accurate, but I like it, reminds me of those close enoughs that we've all have.
Fit, here's were it get's interesting, My Azuma are M/L favorite is my neck size 17 but most are 17.5, they all fit perfect.
KDG I went with L as the chest was were I want it, now I have to admit I have a stomach :oops: and in the pic's I confess to a little suckin in the belly, for the pictures of course. :CR:

Now I took some basic dimension of some shirts ( see 1st pic). all are from a seam. (Azuma's are all Raiders by the way)
A = shoulder to cuff
B = pit to pit
C = collar stand to btm (front & back)
D = shoulder (neck seam to shoulder seam (not from center of back)
E = shoulder seam to shoulder seam

AZ 17 A: 23.5" B: 21.5" C: 30" (f) / 32" (b) D: 6.25" F: 18.5"

AZ 17.5 A: 24" B: 22" C: 30" (f) / 32.5" (b) D: 6.75" F: 19"

IM (OTR) L A: 25.5" B: 19.5" C: 28" (f) / 31" (b) D: 6.5" F: 18"

KDG I5 L A: 23.5" B: 19" (site says 40/42 chest circumference) C: 28" (f) / 29" (b) D: 6" F: 17.75"

These were all taken while shirt was on a flat surface, so inches are +/-

Left to right IM / AZ 17 / AZ 17.5 / KDG
Close up AZ vs KDG
Buttons look good

Some basic picture with my Truck case from S&J, my KOTCS from Steve Delk and Wested paints and my Alden's.
Whip is 8' Joe Strain and MKVII is W&G
* man did it feel weird putting the satchel on right side and over the jacket.

Over all I'm pleased, but I may try the XL so I can have more room for my belly. :-
Over all I think its a great shirt for the money, just might want to go up a size.

Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Looking good Croft! It's interesting how much the color of that shirt seems to change. Inside it looks really tan but outside it looks accurate, at least to my eyes.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Indiana Croft wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:21 am OK, first impression.
Very well put together....

Over all I'm pleased, but I may try the XL so I can have more room for my belly. :-
Over all I think its a great shirt for the money, just might want to go up a size.

Indiana Croft: Sizewise, your experience with these new Karolian Dry Goods shirts confirms mine. I also like my shirts a little roomier, so my first KDG order was a Large -- which turned out to fit like a WPG Medium. Then I bought a KDG XL and it fits like a WPG Large. I do like these KDG shirts, though, despite the color being a little more tan-ish than I expected from KDG's website photos, and the price is right.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

All of it looks good. Croft, they should make a movie series about you!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Looks really good, Croft! I think I can get ok board with the Indy 5 shirt. :TOH:

And the whip cracking action shot is really great!

Cheers,
Bear
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Indiana Croft wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:21 am OK, first impression.
Very well put together.
Color: can't say to screen accurate, but I like it, reminds me of those close enoughs that we've all hav
Great pics mate, your picture posts are always some of the best

Regarding the color, remember that there isn't a single color in the screen used shirts - even within the same movie.
The colors of the shirts in the archives - for even Raiders - vary from shirt to shirt, to nail a single color is an impossibility.

M
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Thanks everyone.
A movie about me, ha, don’t think so. Unless Mrs Jolie wants to do a Lara Croft camo. Then I’m in.

And yes I know the color variations are endless.

And I have a lot of fun taking these pictures, KDG may even use a couple of the pictures I sent him.

Once the XL comes in I’ll do my thing.

mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Indiana Croft wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:23 pm Missed the boat on the seconds though, will watch the Bazar.
There are more seconds available on the website now, if anyone is still in the market!
https://karolian-dry-goods.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by KarolianDryGoods »

Hey gang,

Thanks for all the support on these items! Folks seem pretty happy with the trousers! :D

There will be a second run of the Adventure shirt, as well as the Cairo shirt.

In addition, the sizing chart will be adjusted. They are sized up a bit, but I still wanted to keep things slimmer.

I also chose a new color for the Adventure shirt that has a bit more of a grey undertone vs. a reddish undertone. To my eyes, the V shirt does look quite a bit darker and sandier than the others. Particularly if I take a look at the fellas lucky enough to see Ford in costume and had photos taken in gear.

Also may have found a great color for '38. So I may delve into that in 2023!
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

KarolianDryGoods wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:34 pm Hey gang,

Thanks for all the support on these items! Folks seem pretty happy with the trousers! :D

There will be a second run of the Adventure shirt, as well as the Cairo shirt.

In addition, the sizing chart will be adjusted. They are sized up a bit, but I still wanted to keep things slimmer.

I also chose a new color for the Adventure shirt that has a bit more of a grey undertone vs. a reddish undertone. To my eyes, the V shirt does look quite a bit darker and sandier than the others. Particularly if I take a look at the fellas lucky enough to see Ford in costume and had photos taken in gear.

Also may have found a great color for '38. So I may delve into that in 2023!
Looking forward to seeing the new sizing chart! :TOH:
KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thanks!

New chart is up with an updated photo of the Raiders shirt with the corrected button on the placket and the best I could approximate the color (though of course it'll change based on your screen, etc.

Here's a quick iPhone pic in my gear for fun.
Attachments
F971CB78-696F-4F8E-B0E6-2D589D25A322.jpeg
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

KarolianDryGoods wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:10 pm Thanks!

New chart is up with an updated photo of the Raiders shirt with the corrected button on the placket and the best I could approximate the color (though of course it'll change based on your screen, etc.

Looking good! And the gear looks great!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

KarolianDryGoods wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:10 pm Thanks!

Looks good! You're doing the Tom Selleck version!

I also have a moustache, I think it goes nice with Indygear. :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I like the sound of a slimmer fit shirt: I always felt my Wested was big and flappy, whereas Ford’s shirts looked more fitted to me.
Will there be more stock soon?
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

They're in stock now. They're just not listed on Etsy for some reason. You can buy them here https://karolian-dry-goods.myshopify.com/

I bought the trousers and the Classic Adventure Shirt, and I have to say they both fit amazingly.

The fitted shirt couldn't look better if it had been custom tailored (which is what I've had to do with my Wested, Azuma, and Todd's shirts). I also personally appreciate that that the shirt is shorter, so it looks good untucked as casual wear. With some of the longer shirts if you try to go around with them untucked, it just looks silly.

Interested in checking out the Cairo shirt when it's available.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Sorry, I meant the 'classic adventure shirt' which is showing as out of stock.
KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Hey guys,

I am re-upping on the Indy V style Adventure shirts and the Cairos before doing another batch of the Classic.

I have a few irons in the fire and wanted to prioritize some more specific designs.

Next on deck will most likely be a '38 :TOH:
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

KarolianDryGoods wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:16 pm Hey guys,

I am re-upping on the Indy V style Adventure shirts and the Cairos before doing another batch of the Classic.

I have a few irons in the fire and wanted to prioritize some more specific designs.

Next on deck will most likely be a '38 :TOH:
Excited to see this! I think it might just be the filter and color grading on last crusade, but I've always thought that that shirt looked a little greener than the others. I'm sure there's a thread on it around here somewhere that I haven't looked at yet :TOH:
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Thunderspy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:31 pm I like the sound of a slimmer fit shirt: I always felt my Wested was big and flappy, whereas Ford’s shirts looked more fitted to me.
Will there be more stock soon?
Same here. I've got a fairly large torso and chest but so far I have managed to keep weight off my middle although I'm sure that will become more difficult in the coming decades. The wested shirts generally end up being really loose on me through the middle and I feel like I'm wearing a dress almost.

I'm curious if anybody has tried the pants yet?
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Looking good in your gear sir, we should get together one of these weekends.

So first off, are the Cairo shirts in stock, just not listed on your site?
And my last purchase of a XL fits fine, sorry I have gotten around to pictures, but I just buttoned it up and measured pit to pit, sleeve length and and overall length, and I'm coming up that a M is my go to this time.
But that's a huge change in measurements.

Are these shirts that much different from your Indy V & classic. :-k

If they are, all I can say is ........................... :BD:
Pants and shirt soon to be my next purcahse.

KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Croft wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:51 pm Looking good in your gear sir, we should get together one of these weekends.

So first off, are the Cairo shirts in stock, just not listed on your site?
And my last purchase of a XL fits fine, sorry I have gotten around to pictures, but I just buttoned it up and measured pit to pit, sleeve length and and overall length, and I'm coming up that a M is my go to this time.
But that's a huge change in measurements.

Are these shirts that much different from your Indy V & classic. :-k

If they are, all I can say is ........................... :BD:
Pants and shirt soon to be my next purcahse.

Sorry if this is a little jumbled - bit frazzled at the moment.

But : the size charts are measured differently. The old one was based on size recommendations based on body measurements. These were the same sizes I've used for years on the Han Solo items I've offered.

So the actual shirt "garment measurements" would be larger.

This is standard for most retailers.

This is typical so you have "ease" to be able to move freely. If you didn't have this, you'd be moving around like Frankenstein's Monster.

Not to get too inside baseball on pattern grading, but even is two shirts chest sizes are the same, if the armholes are different sizes, the shirts will move on your body MUCH differently. For example, American suits are typically cut with larger armholes, this actually restricts movements, and you'll find that the collar will move off your neck when you lift your arms. Compared to a more Italian or British cut with the same chest size, but smaller armholes which actually will allow more movement. Now there's other factors in there too, but that's a decent example of how even the "same size" will wear differently.

However, It seems like most folks in the hobby are used to garment measurements.

Meaning folks generally measure items of clothing to compare makers.

So the *New* chart is measured with actual garment measurements so you can compare to a shirt that to items you already have that fit well. Of course, all makers will measure differently (example being an XL from J Crew is going to be different than an XL from LL Bean, etc) with an Xl from one brand maybe fitting in the chest, but not neck, or sleeves but not length in the back, etc. Every cut is different.

Long story short, I was hoping to simplify the chart so there is less guess work in picking your size. You can directly compare to items you already have.

That said, I worked with a different company for the trousers. For the shirts, they're pretty standard sizing grades for chest, neck, sleeve.

But the trousers, I was able to get much more granular with measurements for the pattern grading. I gave them a full table of beltline, hip, rise, etc so grade the patterns.

--

The Cairo shirts are in production, holiday shipping may effect when they arrive, but they should be completed in a few weeks.

I put the preorder up on my site to help me gauge demand for sizing quantities (same as the trouser preorder)

But they will ship as soon as the freight crates land at my office!
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I hope it's not a stupid question, but what's the difference between a Cairo and a Classic Adventure?
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

I think the difference is that his classic is different from the norm. But the Cairo is based on how the shirt looks like during Cairo.
I think it looks great and can’t wait to get mine.
Order to be placed soon.

And I think your description in clothing speak was great, no fuzzy at all.

KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thunderspy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:37 pm I hope it's not a stupid question, but what's the difference between a Cairo and a Classic Adventure?
The Cairo is really Raiders specific. The epaulets are a little longer, the left breast pocket has the pen pocket stitch, the color is lighter, with slightly contrasting buttons, bar stitched buttons (I may be wrong off the top of my head, but I believe the Crusade has X stitched buttons) bias placket (same as the classic and V) and I chose a new fabric that's less slick and feels more period correct.

There are certainly quirks of the Raiders shirts that I did not include. The pockets in Raiders are not only uneven shirt to shirt, but also seem to have some where the flaps are not placed correctly and cause a lot of tension. I think that may be why they are unbottoned for a lot of Raiders. There's a few things with the pockets because they aren't practical.

As far as the color goes, I would describe it as a warm sandy grey.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Thank you.
KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Hey guys,

The Pleated Officer Trousers have been doing really well, which allows me to do a second run in a new color!

"Desert Grey"

In the photo, that is an approximation based on the pantone color I chose for these to be custom dyed to.

These will go into production next week - so they should be sent out to me around the new year. If you are interested, you can preorder on my site! Thanks for lookin!

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Those look nice.
Can’t wait to get the olive version your currently sell.
Any Idea on the eta Cairo shirt.

Last edited by Indiana Croft on Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thank you!

The Cairo shirts and second run on V shirts are in production now! They may get behind with rising COVID/RSV/Shipping increases around the holidays, but when I get word, I will definitely post another update!
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

KarolianDryGoods wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:18 pm Thank you!

The Cairo shirts and second run on V shirts are in production now! They may get behind with rising COVID/RSV/Shipping increases around the holidays, but when I get word, I will definitely post another update!
Would you ship to Poland? How much would it be?
KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Sure - not a problem shipping worldwide (as far as I have discovered so far) but it is much easier on Etsy. The fees are higher, but they handle all the taxes, VAT, etc.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Thank you!

Is the sizing true? I mean does the size 34 measure 34 inches around the waist (17 inches when measures flat)?