Hat Making

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Hat Making

Post by MikeMac »

Hi there,

I’m looking for feedback on a fur Capeline color. I’m looking for something similar to Herbert Johnson’s Sable. Is this capeline a similar color?

https://millinerywarehouse.com/collecti ... ooth-felts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Hat Making

Post by jlee562 »

No, the Sable is closer to HJs Sable.
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Thanks for the reply. I did purchase the sable originally. I find it quite dark. I believe it’s close to the Deep Sable (perhaps). I’m looking for a capeline that is lighter like the HJ Sable. Maybe it’s just a computer screen issue.

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Computer screens are definitely an issue for gauging color of products. However, I would say that in general anything called "camel" would be lighter than what you would want for an Indy hat. I think of camel as being a dark-ish tan vs. any true shade of brown.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

I'm not sure if they're still selling single hoods - their business has expanded considerably since I last purchased - but check out Pure Beaver Hat Supply on Instagram. They stock FEPSA bodies and recently posted about some dress weight rabbit bodies and 'brown sugar' looks pretty good to me: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cijk_kKuNqK/
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Funny you should mentions that. I just am trying to figure out shipping. They only have 95g beaver at the moment. Is that too flimsy?

jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

I don't have any experience with that particular weight. I tend to like thinner felts in general, but YMMV. Pure Beaver also has my favorite sweatbands too, really good quality.
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

jlee562 wrote:I don't have any experience with that particular weight. I tend to like thinner felts in general, but YMMV. Pure Beaver also has my favorite sweatbands too, really good quality.
Good to know about the sweatbands, thanks!