Trimming Akubra Adventurer Brim

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Trimming Akubra Adventurer Brim

Post by MikeMac »

Hi there. Has anyone trimmed the brim of an Akubra Adventurer? I’m looking for some guidance on how to do it before I mess up my hat. Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Trimming Akubra Adventurer Brim

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well, since you're not using a rounding jack and I doubt you want to do a bunch of differential calculus, the best way would be some tailor's chalk and an Xacto blade and mat. Measure the dimensions you want and chalk it out on the brim, then check, recheck, check again, then get to slicing.

The big issue is usually the flanging, though. You *might* want to flatten it out. You could also use tailor scissors if you've got a good eye and steady hand, but a precision blade on a flat surface will usually give you a cleaner, finer cut. I mean, historically many brims were trimmed with scissors -- albeit a professional with decades of experience -- but scissors nonetheless. And often times the dimensional cut has to be done by hand after the initial brim trim with the jack.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

I did that with two Adventurers. Once I'd decided how much I wanted to remove, I made chalk dots 1/4" in from the outer edge all the way around the brim, then connected the dots to form a solid guideline.

I used sharp tailor scissors to cut along the line VERY carefully, a little at a time. I felt that the scissor gave me more control than free-handed cutting with an X-Acto knife.

It's almost impossible to get a completely smooth cut around the entire circumference of the brim. When I was done cutting, I used a file to smooth out the edge as needed.
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Thanks for the pointers! I believe the brim is too large for my face. So, I’m hoping to correct that issue.

jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

If you're only ever going to trim one hat, this may not be worth the price, but they do make brim trimmers that are mostly sold to the western crowd. They make them in 1/8" and 1/2", that is they trim that much off.

Look up the m&f brim trimmer, available on a variety of e-commerce sites.
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

jlee562 wrote:If you're only ever going to trim one hat, this may not be worth the price, but they do make brim trimmers that are mostly sold to the western crowd. They make them in 1/8" and 1/2", that is they trim that much off.

Look up the m&f brim trimmer, available on a variety of e-commerce sites.
Thanks for this! I hope to only have to ever trim one brim. But having this information is certainly helpful.