Shirt sourcing questions.

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Shirt sourcing questions.

Post by Parttimeteacher »

For years I've worn the Cabelas safari style shirts, in various colors, as a part of my normal wardrobe, not so much to dress like IJ but bc they are comfortable and cooler than a lot of other options in hot weather. I have used the stone color as my "close enough" shirts as well. I have 2 of the WPG shirts that are sized weird. (They say XXXL on one tag and XL on a different tag so IDK. They definitely fit like XL.) Ideally, I wear 2xlt in most of my shirts. I need the extra length in the body and sleeves. I know that Wested and Magnoli both make the IJ shirts and that Magnoli, maybe Wested as well, will make them custom sized, but how is the durability. My cabelas shirts handle pretty much whatever I throw at them, and I'm not easy on my clothes. (read, less adventure, more working and clumsy) The last thing I want to do is drop $100+ on a shirt that I have to baby, no matter how well it fits. Let me know your experiences and whether the shirts offered out there can hold up to my bull in a China shop lifestyle or if I'll end up looking like I'm about to cut the bridge after a day "in the mines." TIA
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Shirt sourcing questions.

Post by bearbeast »

Well, I just ordered a Wested one... You'll have to wait till I put it through the wringer, but let's see. It better hold up, I am not a fan of babying my clothes, shoes, hats..

But I hope they are made to last, I have pretty ok experience with their jackets.

Cheers,
Bear
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Update: Well, my shirt arrived. I got XL, as I measure 46" around my chest. It fits very nice, but the sleeves are a tad too long. The material is a bit thin, kind of like a dress shirt cotton. I have nothing to compare it against, but I expected a thick cotton, like usual safari type shirts.

:TOH:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

bearbeast wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:35 am Update: ........... The material is a bit thin, kind of like a dress shirt cotton. I have nothing to compare it against, but I expected a thick cotton, like usual safari type shirts.

To me, Indy shirts are more akin to military dress shirts. In the movies when the shirt is wet at all it's easily seen to be very thin. They've never been something along the lines to what Percy Fawcett, for example, would have worn.

At the end of the day Indy gear was designed to look good on screen not necessarily to be for functionality. I'd wear my shirts for office work, or maybe light to moderate hiking but I'd consider it a waste of money to take an Indy shirt out expecting it to last through some hardcore work unless you like that TOD look.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

backstagejack wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:41 am
bearbeast wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:35 am Update: ........... The material is a bit thin, kind of like a dress shirt cotton. I have nothing to compare it against, but I expected a thick cotton, like usual safari type shirts.

To me, Indy shirts are more akin to military dress shirts. In the movies when the shirt is wet at all it's easily seen to be very thin. They've never been something along the lines to what Percy Fawcett, for example, would have worn.

At the end of the day Indy gear was designed to look good on screen not necessarily to be for functionality. I'd wear my shirts for office work, or maybe light to moderate hiking but I'd consider it a waste of money to take an Indy shirt out expecting it to last through some hardcore work unless you like that TOD look.
Yup, I think you are right! I think it will stand the test of time, either way. I usually wear normal shirts when hiking and they aren't yet worn out. To be fair, I only do light hiking.

I just checked some of my formal shirts. I have to say they are thinner than the Wested one. Initially was comparing the material with the one from some Indy shirts I made some years ago, but of course I had chosen the cotton material then myself, to be according to some safari shirts I had. :CR:

Overall I would definitely still recommend the Wested shirt!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I always felt the WPG shirt was of a heavier material, at least the one I have from several years ago.
Not light weight like my Azuma, which I wear to the office and light adventures, like a walk through Newburyport MA.

Never been big into hiking.

Croft :mrgreen:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Indiana Croft wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:38 pm like a walk through Newburyport MA.

Jealous! I loved Newburyport when I lived up in NH I'd swing down all the time to visit! There was that massive antique store on the waterfront that I'd spend hours in.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Yup, still there.

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

backstagejack wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:39 pm
Indiana Croft wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:38 pm like a walk through Newburyport MA.

Jealous! I loved Newburyport when I lived up in NH I'd swing down all the time to visit! There was that massive antique store on the waterfront that I'd spend hours in.
Man, that sounds like such a fun time, just getting lost in antiques.

It sounds familiar to my childhood experience: My mom used to be librarian and I used to go between the bookshelves looking at all the books, for hours. It was such a big place, with some abandoned desks in the back, really felt like an Indy adventure, looking through the years old, dusty stuff. 8-[]
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Agreed! When I was a kid my folks would drag me into antique shops and I couldn’t wait to get out. Now I’m looking for them for recreation. :)
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

IndianaJustin wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:41 pm Agreed! When I was a kid my folks would drag me into antique shops and I couldn’t wait to get out. Now I’m looking for them for recreation. :)
Just another one of those activities you dreaded as a kid, but ended up enjoying as an adult: like afternoon naps, going to bed at a reasonable time, a nice quiet Sunday... Hmmm, for some reason all I have in mind is relaxation. Maybe I am tired! :CR: