Disney Indy Jackets (2022)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Disney Indy Jackets (2022)

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Not sure if this already is being discussed, but does anyone who is making Disney's Indy jacket? Looks like a new(?), unlined model is up on Disney's retail website, and it honestly doesn't look half bad for the price.

https://www.shopdisney.com/indiana-jone ... 9027M.html

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't been to the theme parks in a long time, and for all I know, this model could have been on sale there for years now.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Disney Indy Jackets (2022)

Post by Indiana Jeff »

No, that’s a new offering.

Michaelson checked with US Wings and they are not the maker, but we don’t know who is.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Ooh, I'll be in WDW in a couple months and will definitely have to snag one then! Really curious to see how these compare!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

‘100% bovine leather’? Isn’t that a fancy way if saying‘cowhide’? :-k :lol:

Oh, and I hope you understood what Jeff said I found out…USWINGS did NOT make these. They did years ago for the parks but now contract for executives and the stunt shows.

We have no clue who they contracted with for the item, so for $399, proceed with caution, as many (most?) times you’re mainly paying for the Disney name/connection rather than an actual quality item.

That said, if that’s fully understood, absolutely get one and give us a review! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Completely understood, and thank you for the warning! I guess I should have clarified that I wanted to get one of these just to see how this mystery jacket compares... But will certainly proceed with caution. Might not even make it as far as the jacket rack, to be honest! ;)
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

I purchased one from the Disney store online. It is not great. The leather is soft, but it has a red hue to it. The edges of the leather are unfinished and raw (pockets, storm flap, etc). There is a seam in the middle of the rear of the sleeve. The side straps are short. The lining is okay, polyester throughout. It is advertised as being inspired by Indy 5, so maybe all these "features" are accurate. I will post pictures when I get a chance.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Shishak wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:00 pm I purchased one from the Disney store online. It is not great. The leather is soft, but it has a red hue to it. The edges of the leather are unfinished and raw (pockets, storm flap, etc). There is a seam in the middle of the rear of the sleeve. The side straps are short. The lining is okay, polyester throughout. It is advertised as being inspired by Indy 5, so maybe all these "features" are accurate. I will post pictures when I get a chance.
Not really, it looks closest to a KOTCS jacket if anything. :-k
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

The raw edges are so weird, you don’t get that even on cheap high street leather jackets.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Thunderspy wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:58 pm The raw edges are so weird, you don’t get that even on cheap high street leather jackets.
Yeah, I agree I've almost never seen raw edges on a leather jacket...especially not one of that price. :-k
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

You do see raw edges on incredible cheaply made leather goods that lack any attention to detail, but then again that pretty much describes all the new Disney props save the crystal skull for fans of that film.
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

In Hollywood Studios today, and they have different Indy jackets. No raw edges. Appears to be fake leather (but nicely done). Only $99 which seems much more reasonable. Still shortish straps.

I'm actually tempted.

Quick bad shot I took here:

https://imgur.com/nHroWHo
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

For an affordable option that does look much better.
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

So, last day of my vacation today and I decided to pick up the Indy jacket. My beloved Wested shrunken lamb has a cat related tear on the arm now, ideal for Raiders cosplay, less ideal for day to day wear, so I thought this would do as a cheap casual replacement.

Initial opinion; its obviously not the perfect replica, but for a fake leather jacket, it's not bad. The skin looks a lot like shrunken lamb, but actually a better colour than mine, imo. Pockets aren't sculpted on the flaps, and the straps too short, but I think it has a reasonable LC look.

For a budget Indy jacket, it's not half bad. The shine isn't as bad as these pics either, these were taken under harsh yellow hotel restaurant lighting.

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Looks quite well, and the fit is nice! :TOH: cool, thank you for sharing, man!

Cheers,
Bear
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

How much did it cost you?
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

$99. Which I don't think is too bad by official Disney standards.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

It's definitely a decent alternative...and waterproof. Those straps are really darn short, tho. And it's funny that those straps are in the normal configuration. Personally I'd still go with a cotton Wested and wax it myself, not least because it will patina, but that faux leather version honestly looks in some ways better than the cowhide one they're selling.
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:14 pm It's definitely a decent alternative...and waterproof. Those straps are really darn short, tho. And it's funny that those straps are in the normal configuration. Personally I'd still go with a cotton Wested and wax it myself, not least because it will patina, but that faux leather version honestly looks in some ways better than the cowhide one they're selling.
I'm going to try and lengthen the straps a little by tightening them, hopefully it won't look too stupid.

As far as the fake leather goes, I think it's really good for pleather. Good enough I thought it was real at first glance, AND thought 'wow, that Disney hide looks better in person'.

I do own a cotton Wested, and it's well worn , but I'd hate to try waxing it.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Wow, I thought it was $400. :-k
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Leigh wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:20 pm In Hollywood Studios today, and they have different Indy jackets. No raw edges. Appears to be fake leather (but nicely done). Only $99 which seems much more reasonable. Still shortish straps.

I'm actually tempted.

Quick bad shot I took here:

https://imgur.com/nHroWHo
Oh man, how did I miss this? Was in Disneyworld a week before you, and I couldn't find a single Indy related item at Hollywood Studios! The only Indy merchandise I found that week was on a shelf at the Pirates giftshop at Magic Kingdom...

Did they reopen one of the Indy carts?
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

IJJTM wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:57 pm Wow, I thought it was $400. :-k
It's definitely not the $400 jacket. It's fake leather, with no raw edges.

Castor Dioscuri wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:33 pm
Oh man, how did I miss this? Was in Disneyworld a week before you, and I couldn't find a single Indy related item at Hollywood Studios! The only Indy merchandise I found that week was on a shelf at the Pirates giftshop at Magic Kingdom...

It was in the last shop on the left on the main street in Hollywood Studios when you enter. The one with the Star Wars and Marvel stuff. They had a whole Indy display. These jackets, the shirt (better colour in real life, still weird dark buttons), and a few other pieces. The Staff of Ra and Sankara Stone replicas and some toys.

Oddly no hats. Not even Dorfmans.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Yeah that's not horrible at all, especially for that price; have fun wearing it!

My brain still can't quite compute the zip pull being on the right, but you guys do you! :D
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

Thunderspy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:11 am Yeah that's not horrible at all, especially for that price; have fun wearing it!

My brain still can't quite compute the zip pull being on the right, but you guys do you! :D
Oh, I'm British, so the zip thing confuses me too. I was just on holiday in America.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Good man :D

I only just noticed your Han Solo shirt too- that's a good Harrison combo!
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

Thunderspy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:50 pm Good man :D

I only just noticed your Han Solo shirt too- that's a good Harrison combo!

Haha, thanks. It was our last day and we spent it at Hollywood Studios, so I wanted to rep Star Wars at Galaxy's Edge, but most of my stuff was packed. So I just settled for a Han t-shirt. The Indy jacket/Han combo was a coincidence 😆
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

Little update if it helps. Here's a comparison of this Disney jacket next to my well loved shrunken lamb hero (eight years old, very well worn and naturally distressed).

Obviously, the shrunken lamb looks better. It's real leather, and Wested do better than Disney, but I still think for a pleather jacket the 'hide' on the Disney jacket looks really good.

I honestly think for a vegan Indy jacket, this is a great option.

I can do some worn comparisons tomorrow, as well as next to my Wested horsehide if people are curious. Just got back to England from Florida so pretty shattered tonight.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

It does look shockingly well made given the price. Even just comparing it to any $100 pleather jacket it looks like a pretty good bargain.

If it were more widely available I'd say we have a new winner in the "I want an Indy jacket and I've got less than $200 to spend" category.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Yes I think Wested would have reason to worry if that were available widely: I remember the guy there telling me that they get a chunk of business from people buying Indy outfits from them for Halloween costumes, and that one looks a great bet for that sort of thing. Well, it's a good value jacket full stop, really.
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:15 pm It does look shockingly well made given the price. Even just comparing it to any $100 pleather jacket it looks like a pretty good bargain.

If it were more widely available I'd say we have a new winner in the "I want an Indy jacket and I've got less than $200 to spend" category.
I am curious about its future availability, as it was only in one small section of one gift shop in one park. Usually, this stuff is also available at Disney Springs or the huge Disney stores in Magic Kingdom or Epcot, but not here. (It does seem to be more the norm now; there were Star Lord replica jackets only in Epcot, and nowhere else, for example, and all the Galaxy's Edge costume merch is only available in, well, Galaxy's Edge, and a special Star Wars store in Disney Springs). But the other Indy gear is on ShopDisney so maybe they'll add it.

As promised, here's a (partial; I couldn't be bothered to get my gun belt and whip) gear shot comparision.

The pleather jacket:

The shrunken lamb:

Honestly, it's enough to make me tempted to consider doing a Last Crusade gear variation.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Leigh wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:43 am
Castor Dioscuri wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:33 pm

It was in the last shop on the left on the main street in Hollywood Studios when you enter. The one with the Star Wars and Marvel stuff. They had a whole Indy display. These jackets, the shirt (better colour in real life, still weird dark buttons), and a few other pieces. The Staff of Ra and Sankara Stone replicas and some toys.

Oddly no hats. Not even Dorfmans.
Aw... what an odd choice to hide the Indy wares. I'd even suggest that the Star Tours gift shop would have made more sense. Thank you though, Leigh. I might need to do a mileage run later this year, and might just revisit WDW...

Also, sweet fedora. Is that a HJ?
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Leigh wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:26 pm Little update if it helps. Here's a comparison of this Disney jacket next to my well loved shrunken lamb hero (eight years old, very well worn and naturally distressed).

Obviously, the shrunken lamb looks better. It's real leather, and Wested do better than Disney, but I still think for a pleather jacket the 'hide' on the Disney jacket looks really good.

I honestly think for a vegan Indy jacket, this is a great option.

I can do some worn comparisons tomorrow, as well as next to my Wested horsehide if people are curious. Just got back to England from Florida so pretty shattered tonight.

Hi I was just reading some of your posts from 2015 in the hero thread. Did your shrunken hero sleeves shrink at all? Would you still get 23”?
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

Castor Dioscuri wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:18 am
Aw... what an odd choice to hide the Indy wares. I'd even suggest that the Star Tours gift shop would have made more sense. Thank you though, Leigh. I might need to do a mileage run later this year, and might just revisit WDW...

Also, sweet fedora. Is that a HJ?
Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if it's temporary until the Adventure Outpost (the Indy show giftshop) reopens, as it was closed the entire time I was there.

And thank you! It's actually a pretty old Fed III. Crown is a bit too tall as they were on the Fed III's back in the day, but I've had it for a long time now so don't really want to replace it.
SFGiant wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:53 pm

Hi I was just reading some of your posts from 2015 in the hero thread. Did your shrunken hero sleeves shrink at all? Would you still get 23”?
I think so, yeah. I mean, in terms of fit, I feel that my Shrunken Lamb now fits me perfectly like the Raiders should. The sleeves did ride up a little (not much), and I've put on a bit of weight since 2015, so now it sits pretty well I think like it sits on Indy in Raiders. It's far too light now due to wear, but I could always have fixed that with Pecards if I could be bothered.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Saw a guy in one of these that was distressed and it looked FANTASTIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro