3d printed hat block?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

3d printed hat block?

Post by Indy Magnoli »

As my fedora inevitably taper over time, I keep wishing I had my own hat block since being so far away from a good hatter limits my options. I've been on the look out for a good block for years, but never managed to get one. Then I was thinking... I wonder how hard it'd be to model up a good block, then 3d print it. I don't see why the print wouldn't hold up to the reblocking since the felt doesn't get super hot. Not sure if it'd be a viable option... what do you more experienced hatters think? :-k
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: 3d printed hat block?

Post by jlee562 »

Very happy with my 3D Printed Randal Alan block (via Etsy). I believe he puts some sort of finishing over the print though. No issues so far, though I am using just a regular ol' iron. Via the Fedora Lounge, Rick @ Phoenix Hats also had a positive experience building a Boss of the Plains replica from a RA block and he has more heavy duty equipment.

Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

I second Randal Alan's equipment. Good stuff at a reasonable price. I have a custom model 52 of them that I use to refresh my Indy hats.

But if you're any good at CAD and 3D printing it should be no problem to get the basic measurements off your own hat, refine it in CAD into the correct shape and print it with an FDM. I'd definitely go thermoplastic instead of fiberglass. I think RA uses PLA but I think PEEK would work too. PEI might not be as rigid or heat resistant.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Modelling it shouldn't be too hard... I'll have to dig through the annals of COW to find those old block illustrations I remember seeing back in the day. :-k
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Indy Magnoli wrote:Modelling it shouldn't be too hard... I'll have to dig through the annals of COW to find those old block illustrations I remember seeing back in the day. :-k
https://hatterssupplyhouse.com/crown-contour-profiles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hatter's Supply House recently updated their site with this handy guide to the front and side slopes.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Thanks! That should come in handy. I'm guessing the 52 is the way to go. :TOH:
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yeah, it's the 52 that's the best of the common block shapes for an Indy.

The contour is definitely important. Years ago I once tried to reblock an old Fed with a big pickle jar that had the right circumference. The fit was fine but the laser-straight, totally perpendicular 90-degree walls...well, let's just say if major mushrooming of the crown is your thing then that's the way to go.