Whip mildew

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Whip mildew

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

I discovered, with shock, what appeared to be a ‘fuzzy’ coating on one of my whips. I initially thought it was dust, but nothing around it had the same look. I’m not sure if it is mildew, but it’s the first thing I thought of, as I have no idea.

The whip was loosely coiled and hung up as part of a display - jacket with two whips hung over the front of it and the whole lot hanging vertically. It is in a room with heating, but it’s not over or near a heat source. It also gets oblique non direct sunlight.

I’d stored my other whip in a pillow case under the bed, no sun and also no damp, for years. Never had a problem.

It appears to have come on quite quickly, as I dusted the area at the start of the year and didn’t notice it. I last used it around the end of November, start of December, last year. It got ‘damp’ a few times, and I loosely coiled it and it didn’t feel ‘wet’ the next time I used it. I treated the fall before I used it again as it did feel a little stiff, the fall that is, before I treated it.

When I decided I’d not use it again, for a longer period, I put a little ‘Fiebings Aussie Leather Conditioner’ over the whole whip and hung it up. I can’t remember how long it was from it’s last use to treating it and hanging it up. A few days probably. The whip it’s been laying against shows no sign of the same thing.

I’ve wiped it all off with a towel, there wasn’t anything to wipe off near the top / on the handle. I like to think I take good care of my gear, so this is really upsetting me. I searched but could only find advice on how to store a whip to prevent mildew. Turns out I’d been doing that. What I need is advice in how to prevent its return and any damage etc.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Whip mildew

Post by Indiana Jeff »

It's possible it was leather spew.

https://www.lttleathercare.com/spew-on- ... you-think/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

I thought I had a similar problem and like Jeff suggested, it was plaiting soap coming out. That was the word from the maker. Can you check with yours?
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thanks Jeff, I’d never heard of that. Ever. It does look white, though some may say more grey, which doesn’t help. I think it did feel ‘waxy’ so another pointer to ‘spew’, which though it sounds weird comes as a bit of a relief. I just couldn’t se how it could possibly be mildew, but what do I know.

@Justin. I hadn’t, as it’s not a new whip. However you make an excellent point so I’ll email them. I just hope that they don’t view it as my ‘appalling treatment’ of the whip, and hunt me down. :CR:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

If you didn’t see any signs of mildew on any of the other leather pieces, it likely is spew. Not necessarily from the plaiting soap or leather fats, but from the conditioner you applied. You may have applied a bit too much since you were putting the whip into “storage.”

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indiana Jeff wrote:If you didn’t see any signs of mildew on any of the other leather pieces, it likely is spew. Not necessarily from the plaiting soap or leather fats, but from the conditioner you applied. You may have applied a bit too much since you were putting the whip into “storage.”

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ahh, ok. That being the case, will it stop as the whip dries out in the house? Then remember to be more sparing when I next do it (I’d always put some on at least once a year, so it doesn’t get too dry)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Raider Of The Lost Ark wrote:Thanks Jeff, I’d never heard of that. Ever. It does look white, though some may say more grey, which doesn’t help. I think it did feel ‘waxy’ so another pointer to ‘spew’, which though it sounds weird comes as a bit of a relief. I just couldn’t se how it could possibly be mildew, but what do I know.

@Justin. I hadn’t, as it’s not a new whip. However you make an excellent point so I’ll email them. I just hope that they don’t view it as my ‘appalling treatment’ of the whip, and hunt me down. :CR:
Spew is quite possible we've had some colder weather recently that can bring it on.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I have something similar on a whip i have hanging on the wall, never really got wet and if it had i dried thoroughly.
I have a whitish film on on the seams, not all over just at where they over lap.
What I do is heat it with a hair dryer, not right on top of it, just enough to get it warm, and i wipe it off and I’m good for awhile.
I believe i over Picarded it. :oops: I’ll try to find the thread I posted a picture of it.

Croft :mrgreen:
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indiana Croft wrote:I have something similar on a whip i have hanging on the wall, never really got wet and if it had i dried thoroughly.
I have a whitish film on on the seams, not all over just at where they over lap.
What I do is heat it with a hair dryer, not right on top of it, just enough to get it warm, and i wipe it off and I’m good for awhile.
I believe i over Picarded it. :oops: I’ll try to find the thread I posted a picture of it.

If you could find some pictures that would be great. Does it keep coming back and back?

I used to know how to post pictures but can’t for the life of me work it out now #-o
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Just took this one.
I was gone at one point with low heat application, but it comes back.
I'll do it again, but no Pecard for you my ol whip for awhile.

Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thank you Indiana Croft, that does indeed look similar / the same. I’m assuming that, if it comes back, wipe off again. Then, when it does stop, use less product next time. It is though a huge relief to know that, A, I’m not the only one and, B, it’s nothing to worry about. Thanks for your photo. :TOH:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Your welcome.
And ya, it's the ol heat/warm, whipe and repeat. (ya the type is a pun of sorts :TOH: )

BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Sometimes leather whips will develop a whiteish, powdery coating on the surface and in between the plaiting. A lot of people worry, thinking its mold, fungus or mildew and that their whips are damaged, or ruined, its actually just leather bloom/spew that occurs when the soap, fats and tallows from the plaiting soap and leather dressings seep out and precipitate onto the surface of the leather and between the seams of the plaiting. It’s not uncommon, especially with older whips that have been in storage and/or that have been subject to hot and cold climate/temperature fluctuations and although unsightly, fortunately doesn’t damage the leather and is much easier to deal then mold/mildew etc. It can usually be cleaned off easily with a damp rag, sponge and sometimes a soft bristle brush and some saddle soap if it’s being stubborn. While it can resemble mold or mildew, it typically has a slight silky/waxy soapy film feel and will melt if exposed to a heat source.

Hope that helps.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Yes it does, thank you sir.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Just a quick bump to this thread.
I took a few minutes (as that's really all it took) this morning to work on my whip.
I tried with hair dryer first, but it was to hard to hold the whip, direct the heat and wipe it down, so I
used my heat gun on low, it has a stand so I could direct the heat and move the
whip about 6-8 inches away.

Going to use this comment to sorta time it to see if it comes back again and how long it took.

And this shot shows where it heated it up, wiped it down, you can see the change.
You can literally see the stuff disappear.

Here's a question for treating the whip after I've done this in an attempt for it not to come back.
I have four things from Pecard's.
Leather Cream
Leather dressing
Leather lotion
Motorcycle leather lotion
Or would a beeswax be better or is there a better item?

Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thanks,that’s helpful to see. :TOH: I didn’t initially use heat, I just wiped / rubbed with a cloth. I’ll check later to see how it currently is.

Re treating it afterwards. I’d assumed it shouldn’t be treated at all, as it already had ‘too much’. My belief being it was the excess that caused the spew in the first place. Am I wrong?

I’ve only ever used Fiebings Aussie Leather Conditioner, which is beeswax based, as I preferred the idea of ‘natural’ over petroleum based products. However I still got this problem. So, as far as this particular issue goes, it doesn't look like it makes any difference.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Agreed, the spew is from excess product coming to the surface so adding more will exacerbate the spewing. Next time you see spew, I suggest heating the whip as you have and then wiping it down with a cloth (t-shirt or otherwise) and be done.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Ya, this is what sorta figured was going to be the solution. Jus t was curious if the there was an option for using something to seal it so it doesn’t keep coming back.

Will heat on low and repeat.

Croft :whip: :mrgreen:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

You don't want to seal the whip and trap the spew inside, that could lead to rot. Just let it "breath" naturally.

At a QM Summit Dan Bullwhip Borton taught a whip cracking and care class. In the class he said the thing he sees most commonly is people over conditioning their whips. He said well made whips don't require that much leather dressing/conditioning. Depending on use and overall conditions in which the whip is stored, occasionlly take about a quarter sized dab of Pecards in the palm of one hand and run it down the length of the whip. That's enough.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Good advice as I'm sure I'm guilty of over conditioning. :oops:
So I will hold off and do some crackin in the back yard this summer, come on summer [-o<