Pistol grips

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Pistol grips

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone knows where the correct wooden pistol grips, to match Raiders, could be sourced for a S&W .38, Victory model. Ideally they would come from the UK, though I don’t believe they would be classed as parts that require a licence etc, so customs ‘shouldn't’ be a problem. However if I could avoid all that I’d be far happier.
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Pistol grips

Post by Nosirrah »

Here's a link to Numrich Gun Parts, where I used the search term "victory" and selected "grips" from the submenu:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#/Ca ... ry=victory
There's a couple of promising-looking results in there.
Good luck! :TOH:
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

I've got assorted plain (Victory grips) and a few chequered silver medallion grips for the .38 model 10 S&W available to buy and UK based. PM me for details. Bit overcast at the minute but here they are.
Attachments
model 10 grips.jpg
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

A couple of years ago one of my UK holster customers ordered some PPK grips from the US and he got a visit (conducted very politely) from armed Police to check why he was buying 'gun parts'.

About the same time I had a holster sent back for modification that UK customs opened and alerted my local Police for a home check. I was away when they came so they left a 'sorry we missed you' card. I phoned them back and explained I made holsters and the copper said "Oh well, you don't sound like a master criminal so I suppose that's fine". Pretty thorough.

Equally I bought a Tokarev barrel bushing off Ebay from Rumania post-Brexit which came straight through customs without a murmur.

Anything that's a 'component part' (barrel, firing pin etc) should get stopped but total pot luck as to what might happen with anything innocuous but gun related coming into the UK...
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Raider Of The Lost Ark wrote:Hi, I’m wondering if anyone knows where the correct wooden pistol grips, to match Raiders, could be sourced for a S&W .38, Victory model. Ideally they would come from the UK, though I don’t believe they would be classed as parts that require a licence etc, so customs ‘shouldn't’ be a problem. However if I could avoid all that I’d be far happier.
The correct grips for the Raiders gun are the checkered grips with the deep-set brass medallions. There are many grip versions for the .38 and most are similar to the one's @Nosirrah posted but they are not the correct ones. The checkered grips also come with flat (small) silver medallions as seen in @makeitjones' post but those are not correct either. The larger, deep-set brass versions for the .38 are available but are very scarce (it took me about 2 years to source mine) but they are worth the wait if you can stretch your patience.

I am in Australia and the laws involving gun parts and importing them are insanely strict (I can't comment on the UK laws).
I finally sourced mine through an eBay vendor but they refused to ship to Aus. Happily our own Mike stepped in and purchased them for me and shipped them to Aus and they arrived without any issues..

This is my pre-victory S&W.38 with the correct grips.

Best of luck,
MARK
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

These are some websites I was recommended when I was looking for an authentic wooden grip over the summer...
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/category/g ... ps?page=10
https://www.gunbroker.com/
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/979450
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thank you all for responding, I really appreciate it. I ended up getting a set from makeitjones, they TOTALLY transform the look. As with everything Indiana Jones there are varying degrees of accuracy. Past a certain point the only people who would notice are people here on these forums. Whilst I would, all things being equal, prefer ones with the gold medallions; I don’t think it’s worth the time and cost to get the ‘right thing to put on the wrong thing’. The pistol itself is wrong, so that, to those who know, stands out the most as being wrong.

Our customs and law enforcement can make weird and random decisions. The fact that it is legal to import grips, such as these, does not mean you won’t get a heck of a lot of grief. Or maybe not. That ‘unknown’ is not worth it. I looked at the links and there is tonnes of fantastic stuff there. Each country has its own advantages for collecting gear, normally related to the talented maker living there, so no long wait times, high shipping costs, or large import fees to pay. In this case the place to be is North America.

However, that being said, the ones I got from makeitjones are amazing. As I said they make it look ‘right’, or as close to right as is possible. So a HUGE thank you to you sir. Much appreciated. :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

You could hit the silver medallions with some gold Rub'n Buff to change the color.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

I didn't know MakeItJones made pistol grips. How much that cost you? Post photos of the finished product when it arrives!
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indiana Jeff wrote:You could hit the silver medallions with some gold Rub'n Buff to change the color.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
That is an awesome idea. Thank you. :TOH:
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

mr_alex wrote:I didn't know MakeItJones made pistol grips. How much that cost you? Post photos of the finished product when it arrives!
He doesn’t. I bought one of the sets he posted above. I used to know how to post pictures. If you, or someone, could pm me with instructions I’d be happy to post.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Got it. That makes more sense! If you figure out how to post images, I'll look forward to seeing the new grips in action. :TOH: