Prop Store Hat Stand Display

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

cocomonk22
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Prop Store Hat Stand Display

Post by cocomonk22 »

Trying to identify what Prop Store used to display the Temple of Doom Fedora:

The stand itself looks like it could be the Elevate helmet stand.

However I'm not sure what the two things on top of the stand in the second picture are. Anyone know what those could be?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Prop Store Hat Stand Display

Post by Illinois_Jones »

They look like bean bags or the gel-filled analogs. You'll see them in museums for exactly the purpose shown. Gotta dissipate that weight.

Way back when I was in grad school and interning at the Oriental Institute, we would have to regularly shift certain objects that could be malleable thanks to gravity -- objects on display from the old days, especially gold or fabrics, would often distort if kept in place too long. Displays now have a lot of cushioning built in to them that they didn't used to. Like if you go see some of the Mycenaean Linear B tablets, they often sag some in the middle thanks to being displayed on an angle like a decorative plate for a century. Reminds me of when people wonder why the asphalt in their driveway dips where they always park their car even when nothing is contacting the ground at that spot; turns out gravity has something to say about a 500 pound engine block hanging over the same spot for years.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Prop Store Hat Stand Display

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Mildly off the topic, but not entirely. Adam Savage posted a video from the Smithsonian on how they display textiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WPg7xTl6ZE&t=608s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff