First Advintage Hat Question

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

BrikHaus
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

First Advintage Hat Question

Post by BrikHaus »

Hello everyone. I recently joined this excellent forum, and it is a treasure trove of information. I was hoping you all might be able to help me with my first Advintage hat.

I have already ordered the hat from Thomas at Advintage. It is a Raiders without the turn. I am having some trouble deciding on what size to go with. He wants to know my hat size in millimeters.

My actual head size would be 575mm. Using Thomas’ own suggestion of making “paper crowns” to size the hat, I found that 575mm was too tight. I emailed Thomas and he suggested going up by 2-3mm for a more comfortable fit. (Also keeping in mind that it might shrink with time.)

So, what do you all think? Should I go up 2 or 3mm? Should I go with exactly 575mm? I’m wanting to get this right the first time, since it’s a lot of money, and I want to be able to enjoy this hat for many years.

Thank you everyone for your help!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: First Advintage Hat Question

Post by IJJTM »

I’d go 3mm more, that’s not a lot of extra space so it should feel snug on your head. Also, if you feel like it’s a tad big when you receive it, Thomas does include cork to make bigger hats snugger.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well the sweatband will tighten up with time, but AdVintage does tend to run slightly big. And it's generally better to be a little big than too small. That said, a hat stretcher is a good idea no matter what. In the end, a half size too big or too small is not a problem.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Welcome aboard!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

As someone who has ordered many custom hats, I can tell you that head size is not static. Especially when you get down to mm's. Sinus swelling, ambient temperature, and hair growth can all be a factor. And don't rely on previous hat fit. A hat often conforms to the wearer over time.

My recommendation is to measure your head 2 or 3 times to ensure accuracy, and repeat the process for 3 days. Then, if dealing with a hatter that's new to you, discuss your results to be sure.

And I agree, a little large is better than too small.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well first off, welcome to the madness.

And as those owner of a brand new AdVintage Master Piece Raiders and with no turn no less.
I gave him my head size and in the end I sent a paper tape of my head I had from Penman, requested for return (future hats ya know) and he did.

Time is on your side so find a paper tape or make your own and mark in mm & cm and inches. Wrap it around your head tape it and send it to him in Germany, you’ll be glad you did.

And yes go up the extra mm, let Thomas guide you as what’s been said is true, the sweat band will shrink some and then you take out the cork and you’ll fine.

See my thread, My Fedoras and yet I want another. You’ll get a good idea of your future lid.

And the wait wasn’t to bad, ordered October 10th and arrived January 31st.
Have fun as the waiting begins.
Are you going standard or Master?

Croft :mrgreen:
BrikHaus
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by BrikHaus »

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I’m going with the standard hat in beaver. Unfortunately right now the wait time is 6 months. :shock: At least I have plenty of time to decide exactly what I want.

I’ll do some additional measuring, and after that I’ll probably have more questions, lol!