My Noel Howard holster FINALLY has an occupant

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

My Noel Howard holster FINALLY has an occupant

Post by IndyFrench »

I've had the holster for 23 years. But I'd never had an Indy revolver that fit. I have the S&W Classics Model 22 of 1917 I bought new in 2007, I even have an actual Webley MKVI from 1917, but I wanted a modern rerelease with a vintage feel - and I couldn't see a way to have the M1917 barrel cut without all kinds of dubious compromises. Fortunately, last month I finally ran across another from the S&W Classics range - the Model 22 of 1950 (a.k.a. the Honor Blackman revolver from Goldfinger) that is the N-frame .45 ACP from 1917, just slightly altered for civilian sale and most importantly - with the 4" barrel. It fit the MBA holster like a glove. I couldn't be happier.

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: My Noel Howard holster FINALLY has an occupant

Post by IJJTM »

Looks fantastic, do you plan to add an accurate ring to the bottom, or are you happy with its current state and not too sure about modification?
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Very nice!

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/a ... ics-4-blue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

IJJTM wrote:Looks fantastic, do you plan to add an accurate ring to the bottom, or are you happy with its current state and not too sure about modification?
Alas, Smith & Wesson put the serial number right through the center of the butt frame, so there's no easy way to tap a swivel mounting hole there. Ah well, such is life.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

So cool! Love the revolvers and the holster is amazing as well!

Cheers,
Bear
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Looks great. I wish I would've kept my NH holster now for sentimental reasons.
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

IndyFrench wrote:
IJJTM wrote:Looks fantastic, do you plan to add an accurate ring to the bottom, or are you happy with its current state and not too sure about modification?
Alas, Smith & Wesson put the serial number right through the center of the butt frame, so there's no easy way to tap a swivel mounting hole there. Ah well, such is life.

Yeah.... same here, I'd originally gotten the new M1917 version (5-1/2" barrel), planning to cut it down, then instead got a 4" TR version, swapped stocks and sight, planning to add the lanyard ring, but, drilling through the serial number.... Led to me getting yet another S&W (see recent 'my Bapty' thread).

Enjoy!
elro2k
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by elro2k »

IndyFrench wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:42 pm I couldn't see a way to have the M1917 barrel cut without all kinds of dubious compromises.

If I may ask, what were the compromises you would have had by cutting the barrel? I've also looked into getting a Smith and Wesson model 22 and cutting the barrel. It seems a little more ethical than cutting an original. Would you recommend against it?