The MBA Noel Howard Raiders Belt "is a keeper"

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Hey all,

I know it instantly ages me to start this with "I bought my Raiders belts, bag, and holster from Noel Howard in the late-90s." But whatever. I've spent the past few weeks trying to find a good stand-in for my Raiders gunbelt so I can keep the wear and tear down on my now-cherished Noel Howard version.

Specifically, I was interested in getting a belt with the new trend in the double-wrap whip holder (something I inadvertently found success with using a modified tape measure holster for my whip for YEARS). However, I've run into an issue with all of the current vendors of the Raiders belt - the metal keeper is consistently too far away from the buckle. I understand there are probably variations in the belt throughout the film in terms of hardware dimensions, etc. But going by the Cairo sequences (which is my measuring stick for most things Indy) I see the metal keeper as thick and undeniably close to the buckle.

None of the present vendors make the belt this way. The keeper is often rather thin and markedly farther away from the buckle. Am I missing some vendors in my search anyone could recommend? I'm trying to achieve the classic Raiders gunbelt with the fixed position whip holder, just with a double-wrap whip holder configuration. Here's my MBA Noel Howard buckle and keeper for reference. It just looks the most correct to my eye, and it also doesn't use four large rivets to secure the keeper like many vendors presently do.

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: The MBA Noel Howard Raiders Belt "is a keeper"

Post by IJJTM »

I’d look into Make it Jones, he’s the only guy I can name off the top of my head that does the secured whip holder, and if you aren’t pleased with the length between buckle and keeper I’m sure he’d be able to adapt it to your specs.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Thanks so much.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Seconding MakeItJones. He's an absolute pleasure to deal with and I can confirm that his custom items are great (I'm 6'5" and he's the only one that makes straps long enough that I've found) and that the double wrap whip holders are great. My double wrap from him works like a charm.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

wow, this brings back memories..... I originally purchased my belt, my bag strap and my Mark VIII from Noel.

Amazing fellow. He used to send me christmas cards every year.

When I needed some cash about 15 years ago I sold them on the bazaar and for some reason I thought anyone on this forum was trustworthy. So not only did I give up my Noel Howard gear cause I needed money, the person never sent the check.

My fault, live and learn but still kinda stings.

that being said... I can agree with makeitjones as your best option with Wade Egan being MIA forever now. :TOH:
belloq
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by belloq »

Indeed. Fortunately I still have all my Noel/MBA items from over the years. And I still miss receiving the annual Christmas card from him.
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

I still have all my M.B.A. gear as well. I cherish it now. 2 shirts (one Raiders, unworn. One ToD/LC), 2 pants (one Raiders, one ToD/LC, unfinished and unworn), a Raiders gunbelt and holster, a Mk VII bag with strap.

I don't blame you for wanting to preserve your belt. I'll never let my stuff go.