WESTED pants?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

WESTED pants?

Post by Indakin »

Found a Few threads with mention of the Wested Pants. The ease of ordering a pair and the price is enticing.

Anyone have opinions of them? I have ordered custom from Magnoli before, and may do that again instead. But the wested looked pretty good to me.

My eye for all the detail is getting retrained.... so any help is appreciated.

Thanks Everyone !
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: WESTED pants?

Post by indyfan1234 »

Indakin wrote:Found a Few threads with mention of the Wested Pants. The ease of ordering a pair and the price is enticing.

Anyone have opinions of them? I have ordered custom from Magnoli before, and may do that again instead. But the wested looked pretty good to me.

My eye for all the detail is getting retrained.... so any help is appreciated.

Thanks Everyone !
They have improved the pants and the back pocket flaps as well. I have a size 44 for sale if you are that size.
bullit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bullit »

Have two pair's of Wested trousers and use them regularly. They're exeptional quality for the price.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

100% agreed! Wested's quality and detail to authenticity is equivalent to the screen-accurate pants offered by Noel Howard back in the day - and they're a bargain at only a fraction of the price. The M.B.A. Indy trousers were $150 off the rack, $400 custom tailored, while Magnoli's pants top $300, last I checked. And, as mentioned above, Wested has refined their pattern, incorporating a more accurate rear pocket flap design and correct belt loop configuration. Their cavalry twill is the same grade as the wool fabric used in Noel Howard's pants, and the legs are unfinished, with enough excess material for the screen-accurate 4" officer's hem. It's truly the best option on the market today, so don't hesitate to buy them! :TOH:
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

whipwarrior wrote:100% agreed! Wested's quality and detail to authenticity is equivalent to the screen-accurate pants offered by Noel Howard back in the day - and they're a bargain at only a fraction of the price. The M.B.A. Indy trousers were $150 off the rack, $400 custom tailored, while Magnoli's pants top $300, last I checked. And, as mentioned above, Wested has refined their pattern, incorporating a more accurate rear pocket flap design and correct belt loop configuration. Their cavalry twill is the same grade as the wool fabric used in Noel Howard's pants, and the legs are unfinished, with enough excess material for the screen-accurate 4" officer's hem. It's truly the best option on the market today, so don't hesitate to buy them! :TOH:
Defiantly agree with this! I read they had fans who helped them refine the pattern for a more screen accurate look
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

They would be crazy not to accept input from the experts! If they get the details wrong, they'll be dodging arrows from every direction! Obsessive Indy gearheads like us ensure that vendors offer the most accurate products, because we're the ones voluntarily spending a small fortune to dress like a Depression-era ditch digger! :D
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

I loved my Wested pants. They were great in so many situations. If only I could have kept them, but time and gravity take over. The quality of their pants is amazing. The material was soft and held a crease forever and a day. And, as mentioned before, the price makes them the best thing in town.
bullit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bullit »

I hope they continue to offer these for as long as possible.
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

I've been considering picking up a pair of Wested pants, and I was wondering about elasticity of the cavalry twill fabric. I'm between sizes 32 and 34 for my true waist measurement (33"). A couple of years ago I tried a pair of original vintage WWII officer trousers in a size 32 waist and I was swimming in them, mostly because of the generous full cut, but I think maybe also because they lived up to their "elastique" name. I haven't read many comments on that quality when it comes to Indy pants and getting a good waist/hip fit, so I was wondering if any owners had any thoughts on the subject.

I'm 5'7" and 150 lbs, 28" inseam, so it's generally better for my frame to err on the side of closer-fitting pants.

Side question: has anyone ever successfully shrunk their cavalry wool pants down to a target goal measurement?

Thanks all!
cybertrek
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cybertrek »

I think I remember Holt buying a size Larger and washing them to get to his actual size and have the pants look
more lived in but this may have been with military pinks.

I have the new model wested without the tapered legs and I am a 33 waist. I bought 36
washed them and they are perfect for me.

jim
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

cybertrek wrote:I think I remember Holt buying a size Larger and washing them to get to his actual size and have the pants look
more lived in but this may have been with military pinks.

I have the new model wested without the tapered legs and I am a 33 waist. I bought 36
washed them and they are perfect for me.

jim
Thanks for that info! Can you recall how you washed them?

From what I've read, the old model leg opening was 8.5" doubled, whereas the new model is 9" doubled. That's a 17" vs 18" leg opening, which might not sound like much but can make a pretty significant visual difference. Aside from that and the more screen accurate pocket flap shape and belt loops, has anything else changed with the fit? Has the front rise changed at all?
cybertrek
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cybertrek »

I just washed them on gentle or wool cycle and let them lay flat to nearly dry
then wore until dry.
Sounds weird but worked great for these and my super heavy weight WPG pants.

I dont have a tape handy but the rise is higher than most people are used to and the pocket flaps on mine
look much better than the earlier ones.

jim
cybertrek
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cybertrek »

FOUND IT....
here is Holt's remarks about the pants.

Holt wrote:Yes, I measure my waist and I ad +1 inch for play.

So lets say my waist is 36'', I know I need to look for 38. When I get them I wash / dy them down to a 37.
this is on the second page of his LC gear thread.
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

cybertrek wrote:FOUND IT....
here is Holt's remarks about the pants.

Holt wrote:Yes, I measure my waist and I ad +1 inch for play.

So lets say my waist is 36'', I know I need to look for 38. When I get them I wash / dy them down to a 37.
this is on the second page of his LC gear thread.
Thanks so much for the info! I also came across a thread about Wested pants by member Jeremiah, who states he measured his waist at 31 and ordered a size 30 from Wested. His pics look great, in my opinion--just what I would be going for in term of fit. The rise of the pants appear to be right above the hip bones/belly button, and yet there's not a lot of excess fabric hanging down below the crotch. Here's the link for reference: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=65000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Jeremiah's fit pic link from that thread: http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u58 ... on5rq.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
Wested size 30 pants by Jeremiah COW member v3.jpg
Wested size 30 pants by Jeremiah COW member v3.jpg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

For comparison, the current pattern Wested Indy pants, circa 2017:

McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

whipwarrior wrote:For comparison, the current pattern Wested Indy pants, circa 2017:

This is a great pic example, thank you! The crotch of the pants appears relaxed but not sagging down, not too low, with just a bit of room for the pants to sit a bit higher up at the waist. I think many cosplay pics I see must be of the Todds pants. Some pics out there look like really sagging, loose pants that must have a front rise of 13" or more and with a ton of room in the rear and hips. These Wested pics look like pretty well-fitted examples of a classic cut style, to me.

I think it's going to come down to whether I go with a 32 vs a 34 waist. Since these are cool weather pants, the holidays might tip me towards the size 34 :) . Is it improper to ask what a used very good condition pair tends to go for? I haven't been watching the Classifieds here regularly enough to have an idea. I could make an ebay guy an offer or I could post a WTB thread here...
cybertrek
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cybertrek »

Here are my wested pants after being washed and dried.

Jim
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

NICE hat!!! What brand, may I ask? And which Alden boots are those - chromexcel? Inquiring minds want to know! :D
cybertrek
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cybertrek »

The hat is a Akubra Fed I have reblocked a few times. It's now in a Last Crusade the bash since the height suits it better to me.

The Aldens are Epaulet Inssbruck model in chromexcel

Jim
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

cybertrek wrote:The hat is a Akubra Fed I have reblocked a few times. It's now in a Last Crusade the bash since the height suits it better to me.

The Aldens are Epaulet Inssbruck model in chromexcel

Jim
Fantastic pic! The gear, the lighting, everything comes together so well in that photo. Your Wested pants also look really good--even with sizing up and washing down slightly.

Long live the Akubra Fed! That pic really shows what it can do in the right hands--I'm impressed! I've been really happy with mine for looks and durability, but yours puts mine to shame! Might be the best looking Fed I've seen.

Thanks so much for posting pics here, you guys. Now that photobucket has changed there are so many great threads with lost pics.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Fantastic boots! They look just like mine, except with brass hardware. And the Akubra is really projecting the HJ streets of Cairo vibe. VERY Indy! :TOH:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Hey guys, I'm planning to get some Wested trousers and I was wondering what exactly the waist size is, like above the hips, or something else? Also, I have heard to order a size larger, does this still ring true for their current pants?
bullit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bullit »

When I order these I generally get my usual waist size and they fit perfectly. You may need to advise them on your inside leg length though to get your perfect fit.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

bullit wrote:When I order these I generally get my usual waist size and they fit perfectly. You may need to advise them on your inside leg length though to get your perfect fit.
I just followed the sizing instructions on their site when I bought a pair towards the end of last year, and they fit perfectly.

As you're no doubt aware, they are unhemmed which means you'll have to get your tailor to military hem them.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Smithy wrote:
bullit wrote:When I order these I generally get my usual waist size and they fit perfectly. You may need to advise them on your inside leg length though to get your perfect fit.
I just followed the sizing instructions on their site when I bought a pair towards the end of last year, and they fit perfectly.

As you're no doubt aware, they are unhemmed which means you'll have to get your tailor to military hem them.
I wasn't aware of that. :lol: So a military hem is basically longer in the back (heel) than the front? Any other things you need to tell the tailor to get it right?
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

What’s the difference in the pocket flaps, to make them more accurate? Can someone post a picture of each to compare?
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Hedji wrote:I wasn't aware of that. :lol: So a military hem is basically longer in the back (heel) than the front? Any other things you need to tell the tailor to get it right?
Pulled this from some fan site I heard about...
The Military Hem
The Indiana Jones pants are tailored with a classic military styled pants hem. The front of the hem is one inch higher than the back and the hem stitch is four to five inches from the bottom as illustrated by the stills from the film. A standard military hem is at most three inches, but it appears as though the Indiana Jones pants were hemmed at about four or five inches, most likely so Harrison Ford would not get them caught on his ankle-high boots while filming.
http://indygear.com/igpants.html
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

mr_alex wrote:Pulled this from some fan site I heard about...
:lol: Thank you. If it were a snake it would've bit me.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Never heard of the site, but they seem to have a lot of good info there. :-k :Plymouth:
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Following Wested's measuring guide, I have a question about where to wrap the tape:

The cut of our trousers is a classic cut and sit differently to modern cuts, this means the waistband measures the exact sizing, for example; a size 34" measures exactly 34". In modern cuts you get a bit of room, for example a size 34" trouser would measure around 36" at the waist. To enable you to get the right fit first time we advise to measure the waistband of your best fitting pair of trousers and use that measurement to pick your size rather than using the labelled sizing, for example, if your trousers label says Size 34", but they're actually measuring 36", order a 36"!

So, since my best fitting trousers are lower rise than Indy trousers, do I measure higher around my waist, say about an inch below the navel?

Incidentally, I do typically take a 34" in jeans, so does it make sense to lean towards a 36"? It's always possible to fudge measurements towards a desired or intended outcome, but I don't want to assume my off the rack 34 translates automatically to their 36.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I’m not very good with colors and was wondering what film panda the Wested emulates the most.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

I have ordered a pair and they're on their way. Beyond the information here http://indygear.com/igpants.html, what other suggestions should I be telling my tailor to get them hemmed the proper length? Is there any rule of thumb for measurement of where the back should fall or anything like that?