Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by Michaelson »

Cajunkraut wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Nothing we have here in the way of wearable gear was every made to last forever.
Huh. I'm not sure G&B would agree. :D
There ARE exceptions to every rule..... [-(

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Elwood95
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Elwood95 »

It's been about a year since anyone posted in this thread it looks like. Since Todd doesn't have any jackets for sale I suppose it might be worth it to revive this thread to post my ages, well broken in Todd's coat from 2011.

Its held up fantastic, and it's been my go to off-the hook coat since I got it as a gift for Christmas. I tore the seams of the inner lining a couple times but it was an easy fix. The only time the leather itself got a hole was in the cuff- my dog was overexcited and practically yanked the whole coat off!

http://image.ibb.co/nOkEk0/20181029-115621.jpg

http://image.ibb.co/bEmLQ0/20181029-115707.jpg
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have actually owned about 3 of them. The first 2 I gave to friends to thin the herd of Indy jackets I have. I ended up buying the last one on eBay a few years ago. Not sure what generation it is but it was in newish condition. I leave it at the office and wear it inside when they freeze us out with the AC.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

Elwood95 wrote:It's been about a year since anyone posted in this thread it looks like. Since Todd doesn't have any jackets for sale I suppose it might be worth it to revive this thread to post my ages, well broken in Todd's coat from 2011.

Its held up fantastic, and it's been my go to off-the hook coat since I got it as a gift for Christmas. I tore the seams of the inner lining a couple times but it was an easy fix. The only time the leather itself got a hole was in the cuff- my dog was overexcited and practically yanked the whole coat off!

http://image.ibb.co/nOkEk0/20181029-115621.jpg

http://image.ibb.co/bEmLQ0/20181029-115707.jpg

Your jacket looks awesome. Did you do any artificial distressing to it, or did that just happen over time? I had a Todd's jacket for about three days. It came with a goofy looking pocket flap, really messed up. I sent it back. I also had a Bantu Wind for a bit, but sold that, to. I just didn't like the yoke being curved like that. The body on both jackets was nice.

What ever happened to these jackets?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Prodigal Son wrote:What ever happened to these jackets?
Todd shifted his production focus after the last jacket run because the Star Wars franchise was on the move again. Last time I inquired about another run, Todd said he had no idea if or when they'd go into production again. That was around 2013 or so.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

Cajunkraut wrote:
Prodigal Son wrote:What ever happened to these jackets?
Todd shifted his production focus after the last jacket run because the Star Wars franchise was on the move again. Last time I inquired about another run, Todd said he had no idea if or when they'd go into production again. That was around 2013 or so.
Wow. That was a long time ago. I don't guess they're coming back any time soon. Thanks for the info.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Todd saw a spike in Indiana Jones related gear around the time of Crystal Skull and he put out some great items, but interest cooled fairly quickly and it wasn't cost effective for him to order the volumes he needed to and tie up capital in unsold inventory.

I hope when Indy 5 comes around Todd will find it cost effective to produce Indy gear again.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Todd saw a spike in Indiana Jones related gear around the time of Crystal Skull and he put out some great items, but interest cooled fairly quickly and it wasn't cost effective for him to order the volumes he needed to and tie up capital in unsold inventory.

I hope when Indy 5 comes around Todd will find it cost effective to produce Indy gear again.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Couldn't have said it better myself. Our last order of jackets sat unsold for years and years. And we stopped ordering from that manufacturer because they were having problems with QC. We had to pull way too many out of spec jackets off the shelf and sell them at a loss. We hope to get back into the game, but now so many other vendors have begun producing good replicas that it's a bit of a crowded field. Back in 2009 it was a different story and we could definitely fill a gap. It's not off the table, though. We're thinking about doing some custom to-order jackets in other interesting leathers.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Your original calfskin was a great hide, Todd.

Regards! Michaelson
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Yeah, I remember that stuff. It was left over from a tannery run. I might be able to find something similar again.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Great stuff! Please do!

Regards! M
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Yes indeed, you find calf skin and I’m all in. I missed that run by a month, but the lamb was nice too.

Croft :mrgreen:
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Thanks for chiming in Todd. I own several of your Indy items and have enjoyed them for many years!

Best, Dr. J
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Dr._J wrote:Thanks for chiming in Todd. I own several of your Indy items and have enjoyed them for many years!

Best, Dr. J
Awesome!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

As far as I know, I don't think anyone is offering a calfskin Indy right now, unless it's Steele and Jones. :-k

Like I said, I had one of your first in calfskin and THOROUGHLY enjoyed it, but unfortunately I kind of 'outgrew it' :[ , and gave it another member.

Regards! M
Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

I’d pick on up in a second if they came back!
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I'll keep an eye out for something suitable.
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

If anyone if looking for one, i'm willing to let my L sized one go. I think it's one of the first versions.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Todd's is taking pre-orders again for his jackets...... and there's nary a mention on this site? :-k

Did I just miss it somewhere?

https://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/ ... es-jacket/

WE ARE CURRENTLY TAKING PRE-ORDERS FOR A NEW RUN OF OUR FAMOUS JACKETS! THEY HAVE BEEN ABSENT FROM OUR WEBSITE FOR MANY YEARS, BUT WE ARE BRINGING THEM BACK! GET YOUR ORDER IN EARLY TO BE SURE YOU GET THE SIZE YOU WANT! EXPECTED SHIPPING DATE IS EARLY OCTOBER.
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

backstagejack wrote:Todd's is taking pre-orders again for his jackets...... and there's nary a mention on this site? :-k

Did I just miss it somewhere?

https://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/ ... es-jacket/

WE ARE CURRENTLY TAKING PRE-ORDERS FOR A NEW RUN OF OUR FAMOUS JACKETS! THEY HAVE BEEN ABSENT FROM OUR WEBSITE FOR MANY YEARS, BUT WE ARE BRINGING THEM BACK! GET YOUR ORDER IN EARLY TO BE SURE YOU GET THE SIZE YOU WANT! EXPECTED SHIPPING DATE IS EARLY OCTOBER.
Yeah I saw it on the website a few weeks ago and was thinking the same thing. I wonder if the jacket will be any different than their previous offerings.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

The leather looks pretty ribby to my eyes.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Now, I might be misremembering, but I think that the screenshots Todd is using might be old ones from his last run.

Either way, cool to see that these will be back on the market. Unfortunately, off the rack sizing doesn't usually work for me (I am too tall).
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

shade88 wrote:Now, I might be misremembering, but I think that the screenshots Todd is using might be old ones from his last run.
Yeah they definitely are. This guy did a review on it a few years ago and you can see in the video it is just like the photos on the website. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3cEdAfRQtc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Thee wrote:Yeah they definitely are. This guy did a review on it a few years ago and you can see in the video it is just like the photos on the website. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3cEdAfRQtc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How can I remember an old picture for Todd's jackets, but I can't remember what I had for breakfast a couple of days ago? :roll:

Good catch! :TOH:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

shade88 wrote:
How can I remember an old picture for Todd's jackets, but I can't remember what I had for breakfast a couple of days ago? :roll:

Good catch! :TOH:
Right? I can tell my wife the differences between every jacket in the movie (as if she cares) but I can't remember to get dish soap at the store..... :rolling:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Man, am I glad to see Todds jacket back in the game. These are super cool. I have a vintage one from his first run.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Thumb's up for seeing these offered again! I really hope this new batch turns out well. It is pretty amazing how much Todd got right way back when his first run were offered. The second wave of jacket, pictured on his site now, I wasn't as much of a fan. Would love to see actual photos of the new jacket.
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

I put in an order for this new jacket. I got a prompt reply from Todd.

Hi Erik,

I wanted to touch base with you with an update on our new Indy jackets. After several months (including a month lost in transit) the prototype is here! It has been so long since we have had jackets, it was like starting over again in many ways. But it’s finally here, and I think it’s great.

All of the details are as before – lambskin leather with authentic details everywhere. We are going to use an upgraded lining that will last longer than our old one. The leather is custom tanned for us, and I think it’s the best we’ve had. It has a great, soft feel and is light and comfortable.

Because the leather is slightly different than our old website pictures, I am checking with all of my preorder customers to make sure it is to their liking before I give the factory the green light. After that, I would expect about two months for them to be completed.

Hope the pictures work.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

That’s looking pretty nice.
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

Looks pretty good, but I think the pics of the old version as seen on the website look better.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

It looks like a mix between wested's older shrunken lamb and their current washed lamb. It's a cool texture but it's a bit over done for me and I don't see any of the screen accurate striations that were on the older run of jackets. Personally I would pass on that and order a Wested hero in washed lamb if I wanted that effect on the jacket. But I've just put money on Steele and Jones, so I won't be doing that anyway.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Ya I was looking at the jacket to, and I’m not a big fan of this much texture.
I’ve been reworking my Wested as I wanted a jacket with not as much distressing, ya I know coming from me.
I used some Pecards brown leather lotion and the distressing is toned down a lot.
Will be posting another thread soon.

But I digress.

Croft :mrgreen:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Todd was at his best with the first few runs of jackets, sizing etc. This looks super grainy.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. I had one of his first calfskin jackets, and it was a beauty.

Regards! Michaelson
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Texan Scott wrote:Todd was at his best with the first few runs of jackets, sizing etc. This looks super grainy.
I agree! my first Todds is the best Indy jacket i have owned
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

The texture is definitely overdone and too pronounced. Happy to see that he is back in the jacket game again.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Agh, I was hoping that he would put together a thin cowhide this time round.' And, I agree, the texture looks a dinosaur or alligator was filleted. I wonder if he'll re-produce the fedoras. They looked pretty good from what I had seen advertised & thought about going for one. Overall, great to see him cranking out jackets again! :tup:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Would be curious to see that jacket with a full cosplay at about 10-15ft distance. It might look awesome. In the same way that you have to overdo the distressing on a jacket for it to get noticed at all on a camera.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

It does seem a bit overdone :-k I had a Todd's jacket a number of years ago I ended up letting go because it didn't fit quite right. Very very good quality for the money.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

What do you'all think of this one? It is a prototype I made from some lambskin I found a few years ago.

Sorry the pictures are so bad, but if you merge and average all four pictures - you'll get the idea. I was working with the dregs of the leather lot, so some areas on the jacket are softer and thinner than I would use on a production run (especially the back), so take that into consideration.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The color is right, but this is when you were at your best, Todd:

https://ibb.co/KhgbDDp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://ibb.co/sqYzbbG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had suggested that for S,M,L use the old pattern specs and then for XL and above, the more relaxed fit pattern.

-or-

This follows a more standardized OTR pattern found in department stores:

STD OTR: XS, S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL
Chest: 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30
Back: 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Sleeves: 23 1/2, 24, 24 1/2, 25, 26, 27, 28
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I like what I see Todd! :M: :tup:

If I hadn’t put on ballast around the middle, I’d still have the one I got from you years ago.

Ah well, age and time.

Regards! Michaelson
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Michaelson wrote:I like what I see Todd! :M: :tup:

If I hadn’t put on ballast around the middle, I’d still have the one I got from you years ago.

Ah well, age and time.

Regards! Michaelson
I hear you. I have to avoid mirrors these days.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:
bantufo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bantufo »

Lots of great character in that jacket. If the body length were longer I'd definitely get one but it looks to have that "Bespin Gap" body/sleeve ratio that most (all?) Indy jackets tend to have. I really like a lot of the details I'm seeing in its design, however. Texturally, a bit much for SA stuff but a great historical adventure vibe to it overall. I WOULD WEAR IT beyond costume, otherwise.

Todd, your first-run jacket was fantastic, btw. It included some things that were wanted in an Indy jacket that weren't readily available at the time. That leather hit the mark very well (and distressed beautifully) but I do like the ribby, somewhat overdone vibe on this one very much.

*I just don't need yet another short-waisted Indy jacket at this time. :roll:

Some "Gen 1".
Last edited by bantufo on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Looks great!

please…
……………make the sleeves longer…. [-o<

Sleeves can easily be shortened, but not lengthened.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Tibor wrote:Looks great!

please…
……………make the sleeves longer…. [-o<

Sleeves can easily be shortened, but not lengthened.
This. :TOH:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

The leather looks great :clap:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I like the one you've just posted Todd.

I think the sleeves length looks correct. Fords sleeves were not more than 25". People are just not used to it.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

xmasters wrote:I like the one you've just posted Todd.

I think the sleeves length looks correct. Fords sleeves were not more than 25". People are just not used to it.
Perhaps, but tall people need some love (or longer sleeves at least). :lol: