Help Me Choose My AdVintage

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Help Me Choose My AdVintage

Post by Hedji »

Thomas from AdVintage has been wonderful to work with, and the time has come for me to make up my mind. I just can't decide, because I really like them all: Streets of Cairo, Idol Grab Scene, or Temple of Doom.

This will be my first major fedora since I sold my Fed IV.

I hope to make it an everyday wear hat, with Cosplay a few days a year.

Streets of Cairo: Thomas seems to sell these the most, and from what I see he knocks it out of the park. But is it TOO much character? Mind you, as a jeans and t shirt fella, I've never been a 'sharp dresser'.
Idol Grab: A more conservative Raiders bash, still has the turn, but maybe less 'exciting'?
Temple of Doom: My favorite Indy movie, and a nice, conservative hat that won't call too much attention with its looser features and tapered (shorter?) crown.

It probably won't be my only AdVintage I order, but in case it is, which would YOU suggest for everyday wear? Please weigh in freely. I know it's really up to me, but I like to hear other opinions.

Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Help Me Choose My AdVintage

Post by Charybdis »

Any of those are nice, but I would be careful about going full tilt with an SoC, especially if it has the dusting effects on it. You want your everyday hat to look nice, not like you were just dragged behind a truck!!

Other than that, any of the styles are great!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've vote 'Temple' myself due to the lack of the sharp crease in the felt. It will physically last longer with the looser bash, and as you say, blends in better with daily wear than the other two as they definitely scream 'movie character'.

In my personal wear, I wear Temple or LC styled fedora's and always have for the very reason you list above.....daily wear and low profile in public.

You also already said 'Temple' is your favorite film, so why not stick with what you like? ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Michaelson wrote:I've vote 'Temple' myself due to the lack of the sharp crease in the felt. It will physically last longer with the looser bash, and as you say, blends in better with daily wear than the other two as they definitely scream 'movie character'.

In my personal wear, I wear Temple or LC styled fedora's and always have for the very reason you list above.....daily wear and low profile in public.

You also already said 'Temple' is your favorite film, so why not stick with what you like? ;)

Regards! Michaelson
I second Michaelson! If you get a Raiders hat you’re probably always going to wonder if you should have gotten a ToD hat. ToD is your jam, so go with your jam!

I hadn’t seen an Advintage in the Idol Grab style. Now I’m probably going to have to order a hat. Haha. (Because Raiders is my jam, not because I think it’s a better hat than the ToD hat. That thing is beautiful.)
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I’d go with whatever matches the rest of your gear, also I remember hearing that Thomas will bash it to any scene, so keep that in mind.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

IJJTM wrote:I’d go with whatever matches the rest of your gear, also I remember hearing that Thomas will bash it to any scene, so keep that in mind.
Yeah, it makes my head whirl, because I have a Raiders jacket, and I do love the Raiders hat. The Temple of Doom hat isn't necessarily my favorite hat on Ford, but it's not going to be Ford wearing it.

I could solve the problem by getting a ToD jacket all nice and distressed from Steele & Jones. Again, it's a dizzying plunge down the rabbit hole.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:
IJJTM wrote:I’d go with whatever matches the rest of your gear, also I remember hearing that Thomas will bash it to any scene, so keep that in mind.
Yeah, it makes my head whirl, because I have a Raiders jacket, and I do love the Raiders hat. The Temple of Doom hat isn't necessarily my favorite hat on Ford, but it's not going to be Ford wearing it.

I could solve the problem by getting a ToD jacket all nice and distressed from Steele & Jones. Again, it's a dizzying plunge down the rabbit hole.
Well if you're going to do that you should get your hat from S&J too! I think they do discounts if you order both, and they make killer hats.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Chose Poorly wrote:
Hedji wrote:

Well if you're going to do that you should get your hat from S&J too! I think they do discounts if you order both, and they make killer hats.
Definitely throwing the proverbial 'spanner in the works', as they say, and I TOTALLY agree with this line of thought. They sometimes offer a good price on a combo line up of hat and jacket. I own an LC horsehide S&J and can't say enough nice things, and I've read NOTHING but good remarks on their fedoras.

Something more to mull over. :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Michaelson wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:
Hedji wrote:

Definitely throwing the proverbial 'spanner in the works', as they say, and I TOTALLY agree with this line of thought. They sometimes offer a good price on a combo line up of hat and jacket. I own an LC horsehide S&J and can't say enough nice things, and I've read NOTHING but good remarks on their fedoras.

Something more to mull over. :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
I basically live in my S&J Raven Bar fedora. Thrilled with it in every regard.

Don't get me wrong, Thomas' hats are works of art, and the price is phenomenal for Portuguese Beaver. S&J uses wild hare, resulting in a very screen accurate texture and thickness/floppiness. Something to keep in mind depending what you're after and where you live climate-wise.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, hard to beat that Portuguese Beaver. My two best hats are made of that, and they get the most wear.....one dating 2006, and the other 2008, and still going strong.

Difficult decision..... 8)

Regards! M
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Hedji wrote:Thomas from AdVintage has been wonderful to work with, and the time has come for me to make up my mind. I just can't decide, because I really like them all: Streets of Cairo, Idol Grab Scene, or Temple of Doom.

This will be my first major fedora since I sold my Fed IV.

I hope to make it an everyday wear hat, with Cosplay a few days a year.

It probably won't be my only AdVintage I order, but in case it is, which would YOU suggest for everyday wear? Please weigh in freely. I know it's really up to me, but I like to hear other opinions.
As the less extreme style, you'll probably get the most wear from the ToD. Plus, starting with the milder crease and pinch, the hat will be ready to take on its own character as you wear it.

Then you can add a Raiders hat later (you know you want to!) ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Howard Weinstein wrote:
You know what's weird, Howard? After 40 years, I've NEVER wanted a 'Raider's fedora with the tight front pinch. :-k :[

I always found it interesting, and found example after example of period photos showing it to be a correct and used style, but it never appealed to me at all.

Regards! Michaelson
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Michaelson wrote:
Howard Weinstein wrote:
You know what's weird, Howard? After 40 years, I've NEVER wanted a 'Raider's fedora with the tight front pinch. :-k :[

I always found it interesting, and found example after example of period photos showing it to be a correct and used style, but it never appealed to me at all.

Regards! Michaelson
I remember asking my grandfather while he was still alive, having lived through the peak fedora years in the prime of his life, about the characteristics of the Raiders hat and he always thought that the tight pinches were to try to salvage an old, already somewhat misshapen and beat up hat for another season since many men tended to buy a new hat every year around this time once Labor Day passed and that the tight pinch was a sign of being a pauper or a down-on-your-luck year, so to speak. Very Depression era, I suppose. So in that respect, the Raiders hat was apropos for an adventure hat. Though the tight pinch on the clipper hat being his dress hat is probably a little off, IMO.

But anyway, yeah, like the others are saying, unless you really want a Raiders hat specifically, go for the ToD. It's easily the most "regular" hat and will function as both an Indy hat and as a regular wear lid. The cowboy curls on the LC were always a little too distinctive and the more bulbous crown of the CS isn't the most forgiving, whereas the ToD goes with most faces.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If you want to see some 'brand new' tight pinch fedora's back in the day, find the original Dick Tracy serials from 1938. They're everywhere.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

somehow I see a ToD and maybe even a SoC in the future? :-k
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Ok I'll weigh in here but only because I have both an Advintage SOC and Idol grab, not because I know hats. At least not like the others. Just speaking from my experience, the SOC is cool looking but a little odd on my head. The mushroomy shape just looks.... different, bulbous somewhat. Not Thomas's fault, the hat is really well made and you can't beat his price. The idol grab, my favorite in the film, is great but what I noticed is that my forehead pushes out the crease. The crease down to the ribbon with the deep dents is what makes the idol grab. Again, not Thomas's fault but my forehead's. I only mention this because it seems that you may get any style hat and it not be screen accurate on your head, meaning it won't look exact. I love my idol grab but it's not truly an idol grab on me. Getting the color right is maddening too. Deep sable, regular sable-they both look right...and not. I guess I would say be ready to buy another one after this current one to get it right!
I'm sure S & J would be great also. I don't have a fedora by them, just a jacket, which is superb.
Have fun and keep saving your pennies.
Bo Invader
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bo Invader »

I say go for the TOD style. As for the specific scene, I'd go with the bridge hat.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

IndianaJustin wrote:Ok I'll weigh in here but only because I have both an Advintage SOC and Idol grab, not because I know hats. At least not like the others. Just speaking from my experience, the SOC is cool looking but a little odd on my head. The mushroomy shape just looks.... different, bulbous somewhat. Not Thomas's fault, the hat is really well made and you can't beat his price. The idol grab, my favorite in the film, is great but what I noticed is that my forehead pushes out the crease. The crease down to the ribbon with the deep dents is what makes the idol grab. Again, not Thomas's fault but my forehead's. I only mention this because it seems that you may get any style hat and it not be screen accurate on your head, meaning it won't look exact. I love my idol grab but it's not truly an idol grab on me. Getting the color right is maddening too. Deep sable, regular sable-they both look right...and not. I guess I would say be ready to buy another one after this current one to get it right!
I'm sure S & J would be great also. I don't have a fedora by them, just a jacket, which is superb.
Have fun and keep saving your pennies.
Not "odd" enough to consider selling it though? :-k

To your point about the forehead issue, I think mine does a bit of the same on my S&J Raven Bar. It feels like one would almost have to look at going up a bit in size and doing the sweatband fold to avoid that.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

I'm voting for the Temple hat as an everyday wear.

As I've expressed before, the SOC just looks off on some folks. Additionally, I think the bow placement just makes the hat look poorly made. The smoother lines of the Temple hat will make it better for an every day wear.

I've got this theory about why the licensed hats have that tapered tear drop. Aside from the fact that there's no pre-crease block with a sharp pinch like the Raiders hat, the taper and lower crown make it easier to wear for a wider variety of faces. Less 'hat anxiety' about having a tall crown. By extension, I think the slight bit of taper in the Temple hat means it will be more flattering to a wider variety of face shapes.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Bo Invader wrote:I say go for the TOD style. As for the specific scene, I'd go with the bridge hat.
Yep. Probably my favorite scene, from my favorite movie.

I really appreciate all the advice. I am leaning toward Temple.... for now. I put in my order with Thomas months ago, and he's been so patient offering me choices while holding my place in line.

But it's decision time, and this thread was a good idea. I think a Temple hat will be a fine start, and a good reason to save pennies for a future Raiders fedora and a S&J Temple jacket.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Yay decisions! And hats! I think you chose wisely. :TOH:
Bo Invader
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bo Invader »

You won't be disappointed! Thomas is an excellent hat maker.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Bo Invader wrote:You won't be disappointed! Thomas is an excellent hat maker.
Thank you! I have absolutely no doubt.

And I've officially notified Thomas of my choice of Temple of Doom! Thank you everyone here for your suggestions. I really feel good about my choice, especially given this is beaver felt, made to last, and for everyday use. I still think it'll look smashing even with a Raiders style jacket for cosplay. And I will likely come back for a Raiders style in the future.

The only thing I asked Thomas is to leave out the dent in the side of the crown.

That to me seems like either a mistake, or to show that Indy ran into a branch while being chased by the Thuggees (It's surprising to me though, how it does show up before he cuts the bridge, and at the very end of the scene when he holds up the last stone. Good continuity!). At any rate, I don't really want that dent in my hat.

So, so excited to have chosen this absolutely iconic fedora.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: Yeah, that's not a 'design' of the hat. That's just a dent.

Happens to me every time I get out of my Olds. :roll:

Regards! Michaelson
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

I’m a raiders hat fan boy so my vote is idol grab since it’s the cleanest raiders, maybe 2nd to raven bar.
Although if it were me I’d go with SoC since it looks like a lightly worn in hat without the dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

thecoolmiester wrote:I’m a raiders hat fan boy so my vote is idol grab since it’s the cleanest raiders, maybe 2nd to raven bar.
Although if it were me I’d go with SoC since it looks like a lightly worn in hat without the dirt
I love your pics of the SoC hat! Knowing me, I will likely come back to the table for one. But for now, the ToD hat made the most sense. I have a tough time making choices, but this time, I don't feel any uncertainty or remorse.... I'm excited.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Hedji wrote:
thecoolmiester wrote:I’m a raiders hat fan boy so my vote is idol grab since it’s the cleanest raiders, maybe 2nd to raven bar.
I love your pics of the SoC hat! Knowing me, I will likely come back to the table for one. But for now, the ToD hat made the most sense. I have a tough time making choices, but this time, I don't feel any uncertainty or remorse.... I'm excited.
The temple hat is great!
I’m buying me a temple mine cart scene hat soon from thomas.
We are the opposite haha I got raiders first and now going to dabble in temple of doom hats while you’re starting with temple lol

Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Just curious if anyone here has any experience with Advintage Crusade Hats :TOH:
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

So, having pivoted towards Temple of Doom (Bridge Scene), Thomas and I agreed that Sable would be the proper color rather than the darker true Sable.

I'm also excited about this choice, because if and when I go with a Raiders hat, it will be distinctly darker than my Temple, and a good reason to pick up another fedora.

Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Hedji wrote:So, having pivoted towards Temple of Doom (Bridge Scene), Thomas and I agreed that Sable would be the proper color rather than the darker true Sable.

I'm also excited about this choice, because if and when I go with a Raiders hat, it will be distinctly darker than my Temple, and a good reason to pick up another fedora.

Yeah...another good excuse to buy another hat! :lol:
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Temple of doom definitely looks a lot lighter on camera especially on the bridge.

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Update:

I have made my final choice and it will be MINE SCENE in regular Sable.

Like this:

https://www.advintage.de/index.php/2021 ... 2/?lang=en

I made this choice because as much as I love the Rope Bridge scene and hat (on Ford), I decided I needed some taper and a shorter crown on my daily hat. I keep reminding myself that I am not Harrison Ford, and this is not strictly for cosplay. I think this will work best for me as my first custom hat after only owning an Akubra.

In the future, I think I will go with a more daring Raiders for cosplay, but for now, I think this choice will work for every day, still be Indiana Jones, and be vastly different than a future Raiders hat I may purchase.

Decisions are tough, but I am comfortable and excited with this one.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Isn’t that the same type that Kirk Brackmann went with?
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Ooooh! I believe you are correct! I’m even more pumped now!

Here's Kirk's hat:

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

But what liner did you choose?!?
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

I went with the Map liner. Just too cool not to. Playing around with some fun ideas for the sweatband engraving also.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Yeah you did! Awesome, bud. Excited to see it.

I just surprised myself and splurged on a HJ, but it’ll be months before it’s any more than a twinkle in my eye.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Chose Poorly wrote:Yeah you did! Awesome, bud. Excited to see it.

I just surprised myself and splurged on a HJ, but it’ll be months before it’s any more than a twinkle in my eye.
Oh superb! Which one? What motivated you to take the plunge?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:Yeah you did! Awesome, bud. Excited to see it.

Oh superb! Which one? What motivated you to take the plunge?
I had found a Crusade Poet on eBay that I was tempted by, but the price was a little crazy for a used hat (albeit lightly used), and I’m a Raiders hat guy so I would’ve been settling. I tried to negotiate with the seller but he was determined to get the price he was asking, which is fair enough, and he actually did! It went for $560, which is crazy to me since you can get a new HJ to your specs for less than that, and I have to pay CA sales tax on eBay purchases which is awful. But for somebody who wanted a Crusade hat and didn't want to wait for it to be made, I get it.

I went for a Raiders Turn Poet in Deep Sable Rabbit, and sent some pics from the Idol Grab and Well of Souls scenes for reference. I also asked them to put in the champagne liner and gold initials they’re using in the 40th Anniversary hats, to which they agreed which was great. I love the 40th hat but I’m not really into the SoC look for daily wear, and I didn’t really want any of the extras. The timing was good for me too because the exchange rate was low and with the VAT removed the hat was less than the starting retail price including the embossing and shipping.

So now I just have to wait 50 years for it to move up the queue. ](*,)
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Sounds like it'll be fantastic! I'd love to see your reference photos for Well of the Souls. That hat for me, for whatever reason, is an elusive look that I often think of as an afterthought.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Will post them a little later today. I think it’s mainly overlooked because it’s not all that different than the Idol Grab hat. I mostly focused on it because you get a clearer look of the back of the hat when Indy is descending. You don’t see much of the back of the hat in the Idol Grab scene, and when you do it’s pretty jacked up, like it got and extra dent or two during the action.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Come to Papa! On its way!

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:Come to Papa! On its way!

Ooh la la!
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Nice looking hat :tup: . Hedji, when did you submit your order?
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Dang that looks good!!

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Bdgsi11 wrote:Nice looking hat :tup: . Hedji, when did you submit your order?
End of June. Thomas got to it faster than estimated. Now that it’s shipped, the waiting is somehow harder. :lol:
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Good to know. Thank you. My order was placed at the end of July so mine shouldn’t be too far behind. Hope yours arrives to you soon.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Yeah, that's not bad. His current lead time is 6 months. :shock:
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

I LOVE my hat. It's a work of art. Thomas is a Master of his craft, and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone. In fact, I can't even begin to imagine his Masterpiece being even better than this standard, but I'm sure if anyone can take it to the next level, it's Thomas. I've had it a week and the compliments from strangers are frequent.

I at first thought it might be too tight. It is snug, and there seems to be a limit to how far down I can pull the front. But it's not uncomfortable, and leaves no marks. My hope is that by wearing the heck out of it, the leather band will conform to the shape of my head, because while I can fit a pinky in the sides, I cannot in the front. Being almost bald, I felt I really needed to have a hat that won't get blown off by the wind, and would again be snug, but not tight. I tend to think of the fedora being lower on the head than it is, but looking at the film, Ford does have some space above his ears and the brim. (According to the internet, the proper distance is 1" above the ears and eyebrows.). Of course, in ToD, he often wears it in the more friendly and casual tilted back on the head manner, as in the campfire card playing scene.

The hat is stiff. Thomas calls it medium stiffness. This thing will not loose its shape anytime soon, I can tell you that. After previously only owning an Akubra, I would almost call it shell-like, but not in a bad way. It's like sleeping on a firm mattress.

Color is sable, and I think that's the right choice for me. If it lightens over time, even better.

I hope the pics are helpful to anyone considering an Advintage. I'm not Harrison, but I'm trying to make it work for me. I hope my modest camera pics are helpful or at least enjoyable. I would definitely buy from Thomas again without hesitation.

Last edited by Hedji on Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.