Incredibly obscure and meaningless piece of an indy 'look'

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Madewithtegridy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Incredibly obscure and meaningless piece of an indy 'look'

Post by Madewithtegridy »

Okay, forgive me if this has been talked about before, but its so obscure of a piece, I wouldnt know what to search for. I am also sorry if this is in the wrong section, but as it was a costume piece worn by Harrison as Indy for a good few minutes, it technically applys (I think).

So the piece in question is the red sash/string/rope/cloth/thing indy wears during his shirtless scene in the Temple Of Doom after falling into the black sleep. (Pictures below). It caught my eye after rewatching the shirtless scenes (for my own ego-crushing purposes) in ToD and began to wonder if anyone knows what it is and where i could source it for a really lazy (but unique) costume.

Ill admit it isnt really an 'iconic' or particularly desirable piece of costume, but as a completionist and being always on the look out for cheap and easy bits of props and costuming, I thought it could be an interesting topic to discuss.

Im wondering if anyone has any idea what the best thing to use for this piece would be thats authentic enough or any help with the actual shape as it is rather perplexing to me. It seems to be completely flat in some areas, but have 3 distinct lanes in anothers. I was thinking of just using paracord or something, but it isnt really authentic to the era or setting, so would just bug me.

Thanks for any input at all, youre the best people to ask.

-hw
Attachments
Showing where i think it joins together
Showing where i think it joins together
20210815_063622.jpg (15.11 KiB) Viewed 690 times
Showing the very flat side.
Showing the very flat side.
Showing the 3 'lanes'
Showing the 3 'lanes'
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Incredibly obscure and meaningless piece of an indy 'loo

Post by Lightning »

looks a lot like a shoelace to me, just cut off the aglets.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

You could just get some strips of fabric and stitch it.
aldoha
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by aldoha »

Lightning wrote:looks a lot like a shoelace to me, just cut off the aglets.
I agree, looks like a red shoelace.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

The thing is... it's three cords but seemingly backed onto a flat piece. It could possibly be three cords glued down to a piece of suede lacing. Seems complicated for such a simple costume piece but it IS a hero item, so it's not unthinkable that's what they did.
Madewithtegridy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Madewithtegridy »

perhaps it could be a piece of leather suede, but with 2 grooves scored into it (a bit like how you'd stitch leather) and the reason it looks flat is due to it twisting and showing the unscored back?

even with 4k imaging, its impossible to tell and since its so mundane it's not gunna be found any time soon. So I think as long as you get it looking as close as you can see it then it should be alright, no matter what method is chosen.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Found this information. The bolding is mine.
Sacred Thread
Brahmin_threads The sacred thread) is a symbol of highs status in the caste system: only the Brahmin and Kshatriya castes are allowed to wear it. It is comprised of three cotton threads that are looped over the shoulders across the chest and under the opposite arm. It signifies that the wearer is twice born: the first time by his mother and the second time when he is initiated into Hinduism and receives the sacred thread (which is known by many names, varying by region and community, including janai, janeu, lagun, yajnopavita, yagyopavit, yonya and zunnar )>

The three intertwined threads symbolize the mind, body and act of speaking The knots tied in three threads symbolize the mastery of these three things by the wearer. The wearer is expected to keep the sacred thread clean and pollution free. If it becomes frayed, dirty or polluted by contact with lower castes or menstruating women it must be replaced. The wearer goes through great lengths---often tucking it behind his ear, to make sure it doesn’t get dirty when he goes to the bathroom, shaves or washes.

The sacred thread ceremony serves as a coming of age ceremony for the castes that wear it. Traditionally, at age seven years of age a boy’s head is shaved or his hair is cut, his body is thoroughly cleaned and his fingernails and toe nails are cut. If the head is shaved usually a small tuft of hair is left to show the boy is a Hindu. Before the ceremony the boy eats only one meal that can not contain meat, onions or garlic. At the ceremony which can be held at a home or a temples a Brahmin priest reads scriptures, invokes Vishnu and drapes the sacred thread over the initiates neck.

After being given the sacred thread the boy is fully initiated into his caste and is regarded as a man. He is allowed to eat with the men and is given new responsibilities. The cost of staging the ceremony can be quite high. Some times several poorer families join together to reduce costs.
https://factsanddetails.com/world/cat55 ... -5635.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would seem this is a Hindu tradition that was appropriated for the movie. Searching by the other names listed may give other results.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Found this information. The bolding is mine.
That's really fascinating! So there is potentially a lot more to that bit of string around Indy's wrist than, well, just a bit of string around Indy's wrist. This has me wondering if there were deleted scenes referencing Indy's receiving of the Sacred Threads.
:-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I would guess not since all of the Thuggee are wearing them (the guys on the other side of the lava pit kneeling). Like much of TOD, I think they snagged on a bit of Indian/Hindu culture and used it as part of the costuming.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I would guess not since all of the Thuggee are wearing them (the guys on the other side of the lava pit kneeling). Like much of TOD, I think they snagged on a bit of Indian/Hindu culture and used it as part of the costuming.
So you think it was simply part of the generic "bad guy" costuming? A visual tip to the viewers that Indy, while brainwashed or hypnotized or drugged, was under the control of the villains? That makes sense.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

also, I don't recall anything in the novelization about him receiving any special threads etc.

Not that it means much, but usually any deleted scenes etc are in the novelizations.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

davidd wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:I would guess not since all of the Thuggee are wearing them (the guys on the other side of the lava pit kneeling). Like much of TOD, I think they snagged on a bit of Indian/Hindu culture and used it as part of the costuming.
So you think it was simply part of the generic "bad guy" costuming? A visual tip to the viewers that Indy, while brainwashed or hypnotized or drugged, was under the control of the villains? That makes sense.

Yes, I think it was a storytelling device to show Indy was under their control and fully participating in the ceremony like the other Thuggee.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff