The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: The Federation IV Display Page

Post by davidd »

What a thrilling "Indiana Jones" adventure that was, staying in the actual "movie house!" I did not know it had become a vacation rental!

Do they have any "Indy" themed decor inside?

Sharp lookin' lid!
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

It was Indiana Jones everywhere: posters, books and collectibles all over! It’s a tiny place, just a two room bed and breakfast but the owner was incredibly friendly and makes delicious food. And it was an added bonus to have my Last Crusade Fed 4 to make it feel even more authentic.
Attachments
E4AB638B-C958-4F50-82F4-2B5F9AB6C8DE.jpeg
E4AB638B-C958-4F50-82F4-2B5F9AB6C8DE.jpeg (28.29 KiB) Viewed 20287 times
B7C41DAC-98A2-4229-9EF3-676A3AD4149E.jpeg
B7C41DAC-98A2-4229-9EF3-676A3AD4149E.jpeg (33.86 KiB) Viewed 20287 times
66D1FFCA-E455-4AD0-97AB-C43F5B32B8C3.jpeg
66D1FFCA-E455-4AD0-97AB-C43F5B32B8C3.jpeg (28.64 KiB) Viewed 20287 times
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Hobbit Fedora wrote:It was Indiana Jones everywhere: posters, books and collectibles all over! It’s a tiny place, just a two room bed and breakfast but the owner was incredibly friendly and makes delicious food. And it was an added bonus to have my Last Crusade Fed 4 to make it feel even more authentic.
That looks like so much fun! I ended up spending quite a bit of time online looking up info about this place. I drove through the San Luis valley several years ago, and had no idea I was within a few miles of the actual Last Crusade house!

The Indiana Jones Last Crusade Vacation Rental House probably merits its own discussion topic, if there isn't one already.

Baaack on topic: compared to all the other Fed IV's pictured in this topic, mine looks like a "stingy brim" when I wear it. I suspect it's because I wear a large size, 61, and Akubra does not scale up the brim or crown dimensions.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

My desire for an Indy jacket has naturally lead to a desire to do the whole costume. I already have 2 jackets on order (1 for costume, one for everyday wear) and I went the same route for the hat. I have a Steele and Jones on order for accurate costume wear (LC Smithsonian style) and I wanted a hat for everyday wear too, when the weather and clothes are appropriate. I decided on the Fed IV deluxe. It arrived a couple days ago after prompt shipping from The Hattery (kudos, mates!) I wore around the house for few days in an unbashed state to let it settle in on my head. (and to the amusement of my wife and daughter)

The felt is nice quality and I decided to do a dry bash. I've done reenactment for years and have found that steam isn't really necessary for good quality felt if you have the time to work in the bash over a few days. Here are the results of day one. I plan to reinforce the bash over the next couple days and then let it settle for a couple more to really develop the fiber memory. After that, I will beat the snot out of it a couple times and bring it back to form to soften the look. It looks great right now, in my humble opinion, but not really like it's seen adventures. I don't plan a full distress on this one since I intend it for casual wear, but I do want it to have a bit of character.

This has a light raiders turn bash. I like a little of the turn look, but I find some turns to be a bit much for my tastes.

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

IndianaSmitty, I like the way the curtains behind you in the second pic almost look like the side of a cliff! I thought it was an outdoor shot at first glance!

I, too, wore my current Fed IV Deluxe in an unbashed state for a while in an effort to get it to "form fit" to my head, and then gradually worked on shaping the crown. This approach seemed to work better than diving straight in to shaping like I did with my first Fed IV.

IndyFan89, looks like you have a couple of rascals there to turn everything you do in to an adventure!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

IndianaSmitty, well done on the bash. Looks great.

Hobbit Fedora, awesome time spent in the Jones home. How was the neighborhood around the house? Years ago when it was first fans discovered the location, the neighborhood seemed a bit sketchy based on pictures.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

I would say it’s on the way to not being run down anymore. A bit half and half. Some of the neighborhood was definitely in need of some time and money but there were many that seemed to have been pretty recently renovated and well taken care of. It felt safe but there was no hiding the fact that it’s in a very small village in the desert that many would just pass right by.
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Indianasmitty-
Hat’s looking great. Similar sentiments about the “turn”. To me it looks great on Harrison Ford in the context of a movie, for everyday wear people, should they notice it at all, are simply going to look at you funny. Why the Last Crusade bash is my favorite! :TOH:
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

CELEBRATING FORTY YEARS OF INDIANA JONES and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK!

Wore the Fed IV Deluxe, cracked the (nylon) whip, and popped off a few rounds to acknowledge the day!
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

It's not the years, it's the milage.

Here's my Federation 4 Deluxe, how it looked out of the box back in 2008 compared to how it looks today.
The hat has been with me around the world many times over the years and have been through all types of weather, like the heat of Egypt and the heavy rains of Sri Lanka. And it has been stuffed in suitcases and backpacks. It has never been reblocked. It has been on a hat-stretcher once some years back though.

I really like how the bow has turned out over the years. Got some great character now.

Hope to see many more years of travels with this one. :)

CJ
Attachments
fed4-thenandnow4.jpg
fed4-thenandnow3.png
fed4-thenandnow2-1.png
fed4-thenandnow.jpg
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Amazing well worn lid! I like its color.

Plenty of adventures with that hat. ;) :tup:
BenBrim
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by BenBrim »

Great FED IV's here!

I am thinking of getting a new one. My previous one of 12 years shrunk to an uncomfortable size a few years back and I gave it to a cousin.

Question: My hat size seems to be 58 when I measure it. It doesn't seem too tight or loose. But if I decide give the hat a turn, should I go up a size?
I remember the turn can make the hat a bit more snug. Thoughts?

-Ben
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I recommend ordering your usual size. The turn does "tighten" the hat slightly depending on your head shape. The more oval your head shape, the more impact turning the hat will have. I learned that trick here, on windy days I'll give my fedoras a slight twist on my head to help secure it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
BenBrim
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by BenBrim »

My new Fed IV came in. I went with moonstone. It seems to have bluer tones in white light , but in yellow light I pick up more gray or slate colored. This is my 2nd Akubra fedora, the last I bought over 12 years ago.

The felt seems thicker than my previous and the brim does seem as flanged as before-- I can't really snap the brim down dynamically. Anyone else have these observations?

https://ibb.co/4JdhB7B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://ibb.co/HdkGNyL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P.S. I'm thinking I'd like to put on a dark gray ribbon on it. Any tutorials on how to sew on a ribbon out there?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

There does seem to be an uptick in people reporting thick Akubras on the Fedora Lounge...
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The last Fed I bought was a moonstone about 2 years ago and I guess you could say it's thick but really not anymore than my brown Feds, but what is different is that it is quite stiff and I can't seem to break it in fully like my other Feds. The felt just hasn't softened and it is much harder to snap the brim, etc. even after 2 years. Worn it in rain and snow and sweat, you name it.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Same here. I bought a carbon gray Fed and it is the stiffest hat I own.
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Chiliana Jones wrote:It's not the years, it's the milage.

Here's my Federation 4 Deluxe, how it looked out of the box back in 2008 compared to how it looks today.
The hat has been with me around the world many times over the years and have been through all types of weather, like the heat of Egypt and the heavy rains of Sri Lanka. And it has been stuffed in suitcases and backpacks. It has never been reblocked. It has been on a hat-stretcher once some years back though.

I really like how the bow has turned out over the years. Got some great character now.

CJ
That is an amazing story! You should contact the Hats Direct people, this is one #### of a testimonial. My own brown Fed 4 deluxe has already become like a second skin to me and I look forward to the day when it’s as well worn and traveled as this one. Curious to see too how screen accurate the color became over that time too.
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Choose…but choose wisely…..
Attachments
A9306310-73FE-4079-9131-AA3B962B6044.jpeg
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

A rather contemplative look at my “Last Crusade” style Fed IV in the wilds of Tennessee!
Attachments
5EC3BB67-1010-4115-9F42-D69CE689CB63.jpeg
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Short nature walk the other day with my Crusader Fed 4 Deluxe!
Attachments
5AA9DF19-08FE-42B8-A9CD-B4CAA14A680C.jpeg
5AA9DF19-08FE-42B8-A9CD-B4CAA14A680C.jpeg (42.73 KiB) Viewed 19825 times
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

From my recent (November/December) trip to Egypt:
Attachments
egypt-small.jpg
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Chiliana Jones wrote:From my recent (November/December) trip to Egypt:
You win!
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

Another shot from Saqqara, Egypt:
Attachments
saqqara-small(1).jpg
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

That’s absolutely amazing! Here’s to the once and future Indiana Jones!!!! :notworthy:
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Chiliana Jones wrote:It's not the years, it's the milage.

CJ
Man oh man, I really love the look of a faded brown Fed IV. Getting the itch again............
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

All natural dust found its way on the hat just by strolling around Siwa Oasis:
Attachments
akubra-siwaoasis-rv.jpg
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Chiliana Jones wrote:All natural dust found its way on the hat just by strolling around Siwa Oasis:
Did you do any work on your ribbon bow, or was it already that tight? I have a Fed IV in tawny fawn and the bow is pretty sloppy.
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

cm289 wrote:
Did you do any work on your ribbon bow, or was it already that tight? I have a Fed IV in tawny fawn and the bow is pretty sloppy.

No work done. My hat is turning 14 this year and have seen some action through the years and the bow has morphed into something of its own through the years. I posted a comparison shots some posts above on this thread.

CJ
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Chiliana Jones wrote:
cm289 wrote:

No work done. My hat is turning 14 this year and have seen some action through the years and the bow has morphed into something of its own through the years. I posted a comparison shots some posts above on this thread.

CJ
You mentioned it’s been through heavy rain, any tips for drying it out in hot, damp weather?
HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerculeTheFox »

Had my fed 4 for a while now. It's definitely a resilient hat and only looks better with age. I will post better picture (different lighting) when I get the time. But I thought it looked nice in that light. :roll:
Attachments
Picsart_22-01-28_18-21-47-972.jpg
Picsart_22-01-28_18-21-47-972.jpg (61.15 KiB) Viewed 19716 times
Picsart_22-01-28_18-16-30-441.jpg
Picsart_22-01-28_18-16-30-441.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 19716 times
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

HerculeTheFox wrote:Had my fed 4 for a while now. It's definitely a resilient hat and only looks better with age. I will post better picture (different lighting) when I get the time. But I thought it looked nice in that light. :roll:
Looks fantastic! :D
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

Hobbit Fedora wrote:
You mentioned it’s been through heavy rain, any tips for drying it out in hot, damp weather?

I pop out the creases and let it hang on something like a jacket hook or a mute servant to dry out naturally (in room temperature). Never force-dry a hat. Avoid direct sunlight.

CJ
HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerculeTheFox »

I will add about the resilience of this hat. It doesn't really look like it but I have abused this hat alot more than it deserves lol. I have sat on it, rolled it up, stuff it in my duffle bag and it pops back to life everytime. I'm in the process of getting a Steel and Jones and can't wait to have one if those beauties. However that in no way means my fed4 will be hung up for retirement.
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

Chiliana Jones wrote:All natural dust found its way on the hat just by strolling around Siwa Oasis:

I’d be interested to know how you wore it in the heat of Egypt and managed to get all that beautiful dust on it, but no sweat stains / marks. Please let me know the secrets of your success.
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

Raider Of The Lost Ark wrote: I’d be interested to know how you wore it in the heat of Egypt and managed to get all that beautiful dust on it, but no sweat stains / marks. Please let me know the secrets of your success.

Oh there are stains and marks on it. There are some on the ribbon but not drastic enough for a camera to pick up. The thing that shows most sweat stains is the liner. It has gone from pure white to some sort of light brownish gold.
I've never had the hat reblocked(yet) but I do occasionally clean it.

As of wearing it in the heat of Egypt: It depends on the year I guess. I've been to Egypt three times and every time the hat has come along with me. This last time was in November/December so it is quite cool there, especially during the evenings so I had no problems wearing it at all.

CJ
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Raider Of The Lost Ark wrote:

I’d be interested to know how you wore it in the heat of Egypt and managed to get all that beautiful dust on it, but no sweat stains / marks. Please let me know the secrets of your success.
Well being an archaeologist myself, the trick is to do what the archaeologists do: go to Egypt in the winter. The daytime temps top out around 20 C.

Seriously, most outdoor work is done by April then after that most site work is within tombs etc where it's cooler. On sites I've been on in summer, if we did work outside it was at night -- it's possible to do it without heatstroke plus there are no tourists. And the further south you go...yikes. I've worked at Aswan in summer and even though we were mostly on site at night, we still had to climb those dunes in 45 C heat.

Anyway, that's how I've "work hardened" my Feds. And that's my general advice to anyone going to Egypt; go November-March.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Gentlemen, you all look fantastic in your lids!!! :clap: :TOH:
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

Thank you Chiliana Jones and Illinois Jones for your replies. Helpful, informative, and very much appreciated. :TOH:
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

That face you make when you’re going on a trip in a few days and the Fed deluxe you ordered (hoping to wear it on the trip) has been stuck in customs in LA for the past six days. Tick tock, “top men”!

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Oof. I went through the same thing waiting on a hat before a big trip. Mine arrived on time so I wish you well on your quest.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Thanks Jeff.

Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Strangely, IIRC, all of my Feds over the years wound up coming through NY.
And I'm in CA.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

It finally showed up. Shipped out 01/26, arrived in LA on 02/02, departed LA on 02/15, and made it to my house on 02/16 (3 days after I left on my trip Image). Oh well, I’ll wear this one next time.

Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Couple of pics from my birthday last week with my Last Crusade Fed 4!
Attachments
8F22426D-C4B9-4F12-AEBB-B51440F43826.jpeg
017D92B4-9862-4EA2-AF71-F764A82C0A10.jpeg
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Looking good. And fine choice of drink.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Thank you! And yes, a fine drink indeed :TOH:
elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by elstevo »

I’ve never owned a non-brown fedora, but after seeing cm289’s tawny fawn Fed IV pics in another thread, I had to get one of my own. Ordered a tawny fawn today! And now for the wait..!
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Been eyeing a tawny as well, congrats! It looks like a beautiful summer color, can’t wait to see some pictures!