Home of the....S&J 35's, 36's & 38's....Post 'em UP!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Home of the....S&J 35's, 36's & 38's....Post 'em UP!

Post by Texan Scott »

Anyone with a Cazadora 35, 36 or 38 lately?

Say it with me....

Post 'em UP! :tup: :ducttape:
Last edited by Texan Scott on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Home of the....S&J 36's....Post 'em UP!

Post by LostRaider25 »

Recently ordered another Cazadora 36 Hero Jacket from them, will arrive here in a week!

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Very nice! What skin is that?
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Ribby Merino!

It's got lesser striations than my first one, but this one seems to be bit more grainy (if that makes sense). Diego describes it as a "Raven Bar style" since it's slightly distressed. Texture in the back is crazy as well.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

That's a Great lookin jacket! :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Mitch LaRue-ski in the hooooose...!? I meant house, I tell you! #-o

....Mitch who..? :-k
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

So my jacket arrived a week ago and I've been wearing it straight to feel it out.

As usual, the team of Steele and Jones never fails to deliver.
My first jacket was a snug fit with a screen accurate length. Usually how a classic leather jacket would fit, hugs your body and ends within the waist area. Here's a link to the thread I made before regarding it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71327

For my second jacket, I opted for a more relaxed casual everyday fit, something I can easily layer a sweater or a lighter jacket with, and wear my shirts untucked or tucked. Diego recommended a size up from my past size (from a 36 to a 38). I usually am a 36 but at times when I move around it can easily get too snug, especially for layering. I also asked him if it could be a bit longer than before. The jacket is definitely roomier compared to my snug fitting one, but this one does the deed. Layering with it is easy, and it's more versatile for me to pair clothes to wear with it.

I thought at first that my shoulders were too low due to sizing up (my sleeves end up where it should though so either way it falls and fits great), but after rewatching the film, I remembered that the Raiders jacket was an ill fitting one ( baggy, droopy shoulders, over hang, relaxed sleeves, etc.) so maybe it's because of that. Range of motion is better because of this as well. The relaxed fit reminds me of how it fit Ford as well in Raiders (except mine has a longer back length proportion wise).

I believe these quirks is what gives the Raiders jacket its charm, and why it is also sought after. Diego is able to take all of those quirks and make it fit you well. So a quirky design that basically fits your build properly. BUT, depending on what you want, Diego can make the jacket how you want it as well, snug fitting or relaxed.

Communication is great as always. Easy to talk to and Diego is extremely patient as well. It was a breeze.

I'm planning to take a video of the jacket soon when I have the time to show the detail of the leather. In short, it's amazing. The batch I got has less striations, but a lot more grain (if that makes sense).

once again, thank Diego!

Here are a few photos of it (the compression of the images discolored some shades of the jacket so here's a link to the uncompressed photos : https://imgur.com/a/SesfUeN )
Wearing it as is:

Wearing it layered on a lightweight jacket

Back shot:

Last edited by LostRaider25 on Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

That’s a beautiful jacket! I love how the sleeves are rucking up. And it comes distressed like that? Looks amazing.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

That jacket is a Work of Art :tup: :tup:
Congratulations, LostRaider25!
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

It's a nice piece. Definitely more casual looking than your other one, where the more fitted look works but is also maybe somewhat less versatile. But that's where Indy jackets are almost the polar opposite from most leather jackets. Usually one should size down with a leather jacket and if it's a little tight just break it in, but with Indy jackets it's often a good idea to size up if you're between sizes.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

It appears the lost raider has been found! ;) :tup:
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

That is one beautiful jacket that you have there. Congrats and awesome fit too :clap:
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Thunderspy wrote:That’s a beautiful jacket! I love how the sleeves are rucking up. And it comes distressed like that? Looks amazing.
Thank you so much! I was able to get the sleeves to look that way by bunching and rolling them up when it got a bit damp. And yes, Diego distresses these jackets before its stitched together! So you're basically getting a battle worn looking jacket, that is totally brand new.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

That jacket is a Work of Art :tup: :tup:
Congratulations, LostRaider25!
Steele and Jones are definitely artists. Top notch quality and customer service.
It's a nice piece. Definitely more casual looking than your other one, where the more fitted look works but is also maybe somewhat less versatile. But that's where Indy jackets are almost the polar opposite from most leather jackets. Usually one should size down with a leather jacket and if it's a little tight just break it in, but with Indy jackets it's often a good idea to size up if you're between sizes.
Definitely agree with you there, especially with the sizing up part. Indy jackets are totally polar opposites from traditional leather jackets. I think it's what makes it stand out as well. Design is versatile yet unique. Depending on how you'll wear it, be it traditionally snug, screen accurate, or casual, it still looks great.
It appears the lost raider has been found! ;) :tup:
Good wordplay there haha :TOH:
That is one beautiful jacket that you have there. Congrats and awesome fit too :clap:
Thank you so much! I got Diego to thank for that too
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

These jackets are so beautiful. =P~

Congratulations to all of you lucky owners out there! :D
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

LostRaider25, thank you so much for this review and pictures.
You look great in that jacket!

We wish you many years of enjoyment!!

Cheers.-
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Indiego Jones wrote:LostRaider25, thank you so much for this review and pictures.
You look great in that jacket!

We wish you many years of enjoyment!!

Cheers.-
Thank you so much again Diego. Top notch in the quality and customer service department for sure :TOH:
Will post a video soon!
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

LostRaider25 - now that is a beautiful jacket!

Seeing all these beautiful creations coming out of S&J's shop has me pulling the trigger on my first Indy jacket in years (a '38).
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

[quote="LostRaider25"]

Honestly, after 40 years these are what I’ve looked for. The hide, cut, customized tailoring and distressing, just brilliant. LostRaider25, you have taken a shortcut to land on the jacket pulled off the set in 1980. Great jacket.

Also, can’t thank Diego and company enough for retaining customer records and measurements so carefully. :TOH:
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Home of the....S&J 35's, 36's & 38's....Post 'em UP!

Post by Thunderspy »

That really is a lovely looking leather, isn't it? It's only going to age even more beautifully too.
It really suits you!
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Tibor wrote: Also, can’t thank Diego and company enough for retaining customer records and measurements so carefully. :TOH:
This is very important for us.

With returning customers, we have most of the sizing work done. Otherwise, we would have to start from scratch every time.

Not just for returning customers, but also for friends getting second-hand S&J jackets.
In this way we can offer detailed information about the jacket to buy or purchased.

Thank you Tibor!
Best.-
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Honestly, after 40 years these are what I’ve looked for. The hide, cut, customized tailoring and distressing, just brilliant. LostRaider25, you have taken a shortcut to land on the jacket pulled off the set in 1980. Great jacket.

Also, can’t thank Diego and company enough for retaining customer records and measurements so carefully. :TOH:
Thank you so much Tibor! It's a good time to be an Indy fan, especially with all the vendors around with the new discoveries being made. Who knows what new information regarding the jacket will surface in a few months? Gotta agree as well with how S&J keep their customer records. It's as if you got your own personal tailor right with you.
That really is a lovely looking leather, isn't it? It's only going to age even more beautifully too.
It really suits you!
Much appreciated thunderspy!
With returning customers, we have most of the sizing work done. Otherwise, we would have to start from scratch every time
I'm sure starting from scratch would be a headache all the time haha, can't thank you enough for this Diego! :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Wow, lostraider that is one of the best looking jacket's I've ever seen. Really beautiful.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

xmasters wrote:Wow, lostraider that is one of the best looking jacket's I've ever seen. Really beautiful.
Thank you so much! Been wearing it everyday since, I find it difficult to take off and hang haha
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

LostRaider25 wrote:So my jacket arrived a week ago and I've been wearing it straight to feel it out.
Looks fantastic! I think it suits you better than the first. Great color and fit!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Well, I wanted to give it a few days (and was away for some) to let it sink in and not let my initial feelings sway any review, but 2 days before my birthday, I got what is now my favorite Indy jacket!

Having sold a comic that is worth a ridiculous amount of money now, I was able to do a little shopping and decided that since my Nowak Raiders jacket's arms have always been a bit thin, I'd go with a S&J jacket after reading through all the glowing reviews here. I will say Diego held up to those reviews.

Originally thinking about the latest Truck Chase offering, midway through my order, Diego informed me that they has sourced a new French leather that would work great for the Main Hero jacket. Cost would be a bit more since fees for the leather were higher, but as I had enough comic funds, I decided to do the upgrade. SO glad I did!!

I ordered the CAZADORA '36 -RAIDERS, Leather: "NEW Chocolate Ribby Lambskin", MAIN HERO jacket. I also went with the polyester lining as I like how my Nowak slides off my shoulders the way Indy's does.

First impressions, this jacket is LIGHT! I'm sure its the lightest leather jacket I've owned. Almost to the point where I had a passing worry about durability but I'm not overly hard on my jackets. LOVE the leather sourced it has the chocolate color with light brown/slightly red undertones that look perfect. The ribby texture is there, but not overly exaggerated in all the right places. I asked for slight distressing (sorry Michaelson) as I didn't want to go too far with it and wanted to allow natural distressing to occur. I think it turned out perfect. The only part I may question is sleeve length. They may be a hair long, but I think once they crunch up a bit, they'll be fine.

Only had time for a quick pic before leaving for this past weekend's hockey tournament.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

He shoots, he scores! Very nice jacket! Enjoy it!

Now all that remains is the bullet hole in the left sleeve and to be dragged by a truck..? ;)
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Welcome to the cazadora club! Jacket looks great on you as well. Do send us more photos, especially on that new leather, must be spectacular. Also, advanced happy birthday, keep wearing you jacket in great health :TOH:
Last edited by LostRaider25 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Mike, thank you for this review!
If you need to short the sleeves a bit, it's very easy.
I'll guide you with instructions.

ENJOY IT!!!
Cheers!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Looks Great on you, Mike!
That's a Beautiful new offering from the STEELE & JONES guys!
:tup: :tup:
D
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by D »

Looks very very good! Better sleeves too long than short, as that’s an easy fix if you want to change it. Enjoy!
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Mike, that's a beautiful jacket and it looks great on you! :clap:

Late birthday present, I take it? ;)
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Superb Mike, glad you scored one.
Its hard to see how long the sleeves are in the pic but even factoring in that as they wrinkle they will shorten a little over time they might need to be cropped a little.

S&J are for me the gold standard of jacket manufacturers and knowing that you were able to get one is sensational.
My major criticism would be regarding that terrible artwork on the wall behind you!

M
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Finally finished my review on the Cazadora 36: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QXmZla1cJU

It's quite long since I noticed there aren't much videos online showcasing the Steele & Jones jackets in depth. Wanted it to be a guide as well for those who are thinking of buying a raiders jacket, or for those who are interested in a Cazadora jacket but want to know more about it.

I have to thank everyone here in the forum as well, all the details you share made it possible to craft this video.
I hope this helps those who want to know more about the Cazadora 36! :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

LostRaider25 wrote:Finally finished my review on the Cazadora 36: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QXmZla1cJU

It's quite long since I noticed there aren't much videos online showcasing the Steele & Jones jackets in depth. Wanted it to be a guide as well for those who are thinking of buying a raiders jacket, or for those who are interested in a Cazadora jacket but want to know more about it.

I have to thank everyone here in the forum as well, all the details you share made it possible to craft this video.
That was a Great video!
Enjoyed every second of it! :tup: :tup:
Sempre Avanti
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sempre Avanti »

LostRaider25 wrote:Finally finished my review on the Cazadora 36: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QXmZla1cJU

This is by far the best review on any Indy jacket I have ever seen! Thank you for taking the time to do it! Please do more!!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

KramStaar wrote:My major criticism would be regarding that terrible artwork on the wall behind you!
Wake up to it every day bud!! :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Some people have no taste, do they, Mark? :-k

:CR:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Excellent in depth review.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Dear LostRaider25, thank you so much for this video and review!
Awesome!!! You have great editing skills.
We appreciate it very much.
Kind regards.-
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Awesome review video!
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

Great video. I just want to let people know, there are other options to protect the integrity of the straps than inverting the buckle. Nothing wrong with that; I get it, but you don’t have to do that. I do leather working and you can use a strip of thing, durable leather such as horse hide and using leather glue, glue that strip or punch out two circles where the prongs push against the strap and glue those. The glue I use is flexible enough when dry that I could actually remove the circles if I wanted to. I also use a file to round the points of the prongs so that the surface area increases and the likelihood of puncturing decreases. Most of the time we aren’t adjusting the position of these straps anyway as they are simply meant to hold the pleat closed.
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

LOL, Michaelson, Mike, yes you just don't get good friends these days!

LostRaider25 terrific video. thank you for putting it together and for sharing. I must get some pics of my S&J jackets taken and post them here too!

M
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

What a terrific video! What a great jacket!

I think I might need one. Hopefully S&J will still be cranking these out with the same care when my wallet is ready.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Thank you so much, glad you all enjoyed it. Just wanted to give back to the community as well, especially to those who want to order their first jacket but don't know much about the details.

That's some great input regarding the leather straps as well Trenin. Inverting it is just an option for those who don't have access to any other means, but filing the prongs and adding a strip of stronger leather on the sharp portions is a smart way to keep the prongs facing outward to keep the screen accurate look. Thank you for this too :TOH:
Last edited by LostRaider25 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Hedji wrote:What a terrific video! What a great jacket!

I think I might need one. Hopefully S&J will still be cranking these out with the same care when my wallet is ready.
Oh, they will be don't worry. They'll take care of you, it's as if you'll have a personal tailor with you.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Mike, even though it’s just the one pic, that’s beautiful jacket, looks perfect.
I hate opening threads like these as I could buy a S&J jacket every month.
I love my truck chase jacket, wear it all the time as I know you will to.

Wear it in good health.

Now to go check out this video and drool.

Croft :mrgreen:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

LostRaider25, what an awesome video, you really hit it on the mark with awesome these jackets are.

You did a very nice job on your review.

Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

Indiana Croft wrote:Mike, even though it’s just the one pic, that’s beautiful jacket, looks perfect.
I hate opening threads like these as I could buy a S&J jacket every month.
I love my truck chase jacket, wear it all the time as I know you will to.

Wear it in good health.

Now to go check out this video and drool.

Croft, what is the difference between the truck chase jacket and the 36 hero?
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

:-k
Well I believe they are one in the same.
Just depends on how you state the jacket. I relate my jacket as the truck chase jacket, I always forget S&J call all there jackets by #’s to.

But the jacket was based on S&J actually having been in contact with the real thing.

So if I’m correct they are one in the same.

Long story short, if your looking for that all elusive Indy jack. S&J is the go to.
Diego is the man.