USWings 40th anniversary Indy/Cooper jackets!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

USWings 40th anniversary Indy/Cooper jackets!

Post by Michaelson »

Hot off the presses:

https://www.uswings.com/product-categor ... -original/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.uswings.com/product/cooper- ... er-jacket/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Cooper Cowhide A2

https://www.uswings.com/product/cooper- ... cket-copy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Cooper Goatskin Indy

https://www.uswings.com/product/cooper- ... er-jacket/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Cooper Cape Buffalo Indy

https://www.uswings.com/product/cooper- ... er-jacket/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Cooper Vintage Cowhide Indy

Regards! Michaelson
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: USWings 40th anniversary Indy/Cooper jackets!

Post by Kokopelli »

:-k

Is this just a rebranding of the line, or are the jackets going to be made on the older, SHORTER pattern? Based on the pictures, which have not changed, they’re just being rebranded as Cooper.
That Buffalo leather is amazing, but the 2” longer pattern looks ridiculous.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No clue. I THINK they’re using the original Cooper pattern on some of them, but I’m only going by what I’m reading. You see what I see. :-k
The Cape Buffalo pattern length, though long, was what Disney specifically requested to be made for use in the WDW stunt show.
The goatskin definitely looks shorter in the photo by comparison.

As stated in their write up:
US Wings partnered with Cooper for many years, starting in 1986 and ending when Cooper Sportswear ceased production in the 1990s; their jackets have been unavailable to the general public ever since. Along with the A-2s & G-1s produced was the Indy-style jacket, which was based on an original stuntman’s jacket from the original Raiders movie. US Wings has produced many Indy-style jackets over the years based on these patterns, but original Cooper-labeled Indy Jackets are no longer available so we’ve decided to reintroduce these outstanding jackets in our Cooper Original line.
I also heard today they are taking orders now and jackets are due in hand in 2 weeks.
Regards! M
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Michaelson wrote:No clue. I THINK they’re using the original Cooper pattern on some of them, but I’m only going by what I’m reading. You see what I see. :-k
The Cape Buffalo pattern length, though long, was what Disney specifically requested to be made for use in the WDW stunt show.
The goatskin definitely looks shorter in the photo by comparison.

As stated in their write up:
US Wings partnered with Cooper for many years, starting in 1986 and ending when Cooper Sportswear ceased production in the 1990s; their jackets have been unavailable to the general public ever since. Along with the A-2s & G-1s produced was the Indy-style jacket, which was based on an original stuntman’s jacket from the original Raiders movie. US Wings has produced many Indy-style jackets over the years based on these patterns, but original Cooper-labeled Indy Jackets are no longer available so we’ve decided to reintroduce these outstanding jackets in our Cooper Original line.
I also heard today they are taking orders now and jackets are due in hand in 2 weeks.
Regards! M
I noticed that, too...earlier this year I emailed Sarge about the back length of a Large goat skin, and he replied that it "was 28" from under the collar to the bottom" (which I believed was including the 1" for the collar stand), and that was the same for all of the larges.
My Russet Large is 26.5" long from the bottom of the collar stand, and it's just too long, even with my 6'3" frame.
bantufo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bantufo »

The length on the Cape Buffalo version looks really good, actually. The pocket placements are too high for it giving it an overly elongated appearance but the coat length in relation to the sleeves looks very good. The Cooper line does look more like a rebrand rather than a pattern change.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It will be interesting to see what these come out to be, as from how I'M reading the description, they're using the original Cooper patterns rather than their own. :-k

Regards! M
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Michaelson wrote:It will be interesting to see what these come out to be, as from how I'M reading the description, they're using the original Cooper patterns rather than their own. :-k

Regards! M
..which is based on the Cooper original pattern.
:-k Where have I heard that before...
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Weren’t the Legends jackets based on the Cooper pattern?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yes, they were, but were made under the Wings name, not Cooper.

Regard! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

So if these are Cooper pattern jackets it would stand to reason they are the Legend pattern.

Except based on the pictures:

Goatskin looks like the Legend pattern
Cowhide looks like the Signature pattern (and is described as looser fitting which would be consistent with the Signature line)
Cape Buffalo looks to be the extra length on an otherwise Legend pattern

And the pictures for the Cooper line are the same pictures as the Indy Goatskin, Cowhide Signature and Cape Buffalo also listed on the Indy-style Jackets page. Feels like this is mostly a rebranding rather than a new pattern offering. :-k

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Sort of like Wested’s Legacy jacket that is actually the Hero version with a Leather Concessioners label, but not really? :-k :lol:

Regards! M
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

I'm very interested but I'll have to see actual photos first. A simple rebranding of the existing line without pattern change should entail them removing the regular offerings from the site in conjunction, so I hope it's an actual different pattern they're offering and the photo thing is just a lag time and site maintenance issue and they're waiting on good photos of these Cooper jackets.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. They won’t have them in hand for a couple weeks. Should interesting.

Regards!
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

The pricing is the same for the Wings and Cooper version. I’d expect some pricing difference if they were different.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but why do the pics that they've posted of the original Cooper version have buttons on the jacket ala LC jackets? Is this just a USWings thing now that all jackets come with them? My Legend in lamp did not come with them, so just curious to see if anyone knew.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yeah, they seem to be the standard now with the "adventurer" pattern which has become their default pattern the past few years. My USW from 10+ years ago don't have them and are better off for it -- I don't mind the snaps, it's just that they're making the flap connect directly to to collar stand à la Raiders while also adding the snaps. In terms of both look and function they need to pick one.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Took the chance last night after emailing with Sarge about the Large Regular/Tall sizing. I asked him the lengths of both jackets, and here informed me "Could be I am a little blind and My team went home so here we are with a hands on both Indy Goatskin Jackets… Large Reg. 27 ½ Large Long 29 ½ "

The long is exactly the same length as my previous US Wings Indy jacket....their "Indy Style Adventure Jacket" and it was way too long and looked way wrong for an Indy jacket. Perfect in the sleeves but hung lower than my rear pockets and I am 6'-2". It has sat in the closet never worn. I am hoping that the Large Regular is long enough in the sleeves. My Expo is 26-1/2 and a bit short in the sleeves. I loved this jacket above all, but it is too large for me now.

I sure hope this Cooper fits, because if it doesn't, I doubt I will ever pursue another Indy jacket. Id like a Kelso, but not enough to get exact measurements and then wait 6 months, etc. Here is hoping on the Cooper!

BTW- I sure do like the old Sergeant. Real class act.
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Got the shipment notice today. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow. So here's hoping!
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

IndianaSmitty wrote:Got the shipment notice today. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow. So here's hoping!
So did I. I called CS and they told me they were waiting on a shipment from NJ and that they would ship it to me on the 29th.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Cowboy wrote:
IndianaSmitty wrote:Got the shipment notice today. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow. So here's hoping!
So did I. I called CS and they told me they were waiting on a shipment from NJ and that they would ship it to me on the 29th.
NJ? so Schott made the jackets. Which one did you order?
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Hammerklavier wrote:
Cowboy wrote:
I don't assume it was Schott. I ordered the Cooper Indy Original standard Large in Goat. I talked to them this morning and was surprised when they sent me notification of shipping.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If made in NJ, it was indeed made by Schott.

Regards! Michaelson
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Michaelson wrote:If made in NJ, it was indeed made by Schott.

Regards! Michaelson
Hello Michaelson! Is that a good or bad thing? I don't know much about Schott. The rep did indicate that it (jacket) was indeed made in the US...so I am pleased about that.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Howdy! A GREAT thing, in my personal opinion. :M: :tup:

Schott jackets have been around since the 20's, creator of the original 'Perfecto' motorcycle jacket as worn by Marlon Brando in the 'Wild One', still owned by the same family, and built like tanks.

All the Signature series are made by Schott, and the special order items. This Cooper falls in that category.

Regards! M
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Cowboy wrote:
Hammerklavier wrote:
Cowboy wrote:
I don't assume it was Schott. I ordered the Cooper Indy Original standard Large in Goat. I talked to them this morning and was surprised when they sent me notification of shipping.
Mine is the Striated Lamb, so there could be the difference. Now that you mention it, Sarge did mention New Jersey. I've never owned a Schott jacket, so not sure what that means really. I guess we'll find out shortly!
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

IndianaSmitty wrote:
Cowboy wrote:
Hammerklavier wrote:
Cowboy wrote:
Mine is the Striated Lamb, so there could be the difference. Now that you mention it, Sarge did mention New Jersey. I've never owned a Schott jacket, so not sure what that means really. I guess we'll find out shortly!
It means quality.
Which size you ordered, I am eager to find out the measurements, I emailed wings about sizing but no response.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Several of us are on pins and needles waiting on measurements!!
If they got rid of the extra 2-2.5” in length on these, I will be so happy!
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

US Wings's unwillingness to reveal measurements always puzzles me, I once asked him about a measurement of indy jacket he said he won't release any information about their pattern, very strange.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Kokopelli wrote:Several of us are on pins and needles waiting on measurements!!
If they got rid of the extra 2-2.5” in length on these, I will be so happy!
Here is what I was told when I inquired about Large in Regular and Long- "Large Reg. 27 ½ Large Long 29 ½"

The Cooper Long measurement is the same size as a recent Wings "Indy-Style Adventurer Jacket" LL that I ordered in 2019, (It was way too long in the body but sleeves were perfect but I don't wear i t because it looks ridiculous ) so I am taking a chance on the Large Regular. If this one is too short in the sleeves, I will most likely end my Indy Jacket pursuit. Too much screwing around to measure, order and wait for a Kelso (and too many options that I have not a clue on) for this old dog. I do have high hopes however for this one! What is your experience @michaelson?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, the following is totally my own personal experience and opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

I've had a LONG association/friendship with David Hack since the mid 90's when we started at Indyfan.

I've had just about every pattern and hide they made go through my hands for review, which I then gave to members here after the review through the early 2000's, but that work has been passed along to other members of our community, so I'm not getting to personally inspect new offerings like I once did. :(

The Signature series has always been the Schott made jackets, and I've always found them 'roomy'. I require a 25" sleeve. I found their large sizing perfect for my shoulders, but those jackets always had 24" sleeves, so I've always had to go up to an XL. The length was just fine for me, and I'm 6' 1".

The Legend pattern was absolutely perfect. 25" sleeves, fit in the shoulder and body in a large. Homerun for this reviewer. All the Legend pattern jackets fit me like they were tailor made for me. They were about an inch shorter than the Signature on my build.

So, that said, the Legend was patterned after an original Cooper Raiders jacket.

If this new jacket is based on the original Cooper, I'm HOPING it will be a repeat of the Legend pattern without CALLING it a Legend, and ALL the Legends were made by Schott, regardless of hide.

As an aside, I also note Wings still gets razzed about the Cape Buffalo hide Indy jacket they made, as indicated by the 'car coat' remark above, and though it's been stated several times, it bears repeating, they did NOT come up with that pattern.

Those specs were directly Disney driven as required specs for use on the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. They wanted a hard as nails hide, and a longer jacket for better protection of the lower back of the stunt men using it during the shows. They are sold exactly as spec'd by WDW, incorrectly placed snaps and all, and due to that, HAVE a direct connection to our hobby with that connection. Car coat length and all, that entire package was Disney directed. Not USW's.

So, I'm hoping the new Coopers are Legend patterns, but honestly I have no personal knowledge one way or the other.....but the fact they're made by Schott narrows down the direction they could have gone.

Regards! M
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Hammerklavier wrote:US Wings's unwillingness to reveal measurements always puzzles me, I once asked him about a measurement of indy jacket he said he won't release any information about their pattern, very strange.
Yeah I received the same. I was just asking Sarge for measurements of back length and sleeve length, and he said I would be a 2X long, which Longs do not come in the striated. A month ago he was telling me I needed XL long for the Cape Buffalo. Just frustrating.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Michaelson wrote:Well, the following is totally my own personal experience and opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

I've had a LONG association/friendship with David Hack since the mid 90's when we started at Indyfan.

I've had just about every pattern and hide they made go through my hands for review, which I then gave to members here after the review through the early 2000's, but that work has been passed along to other members of our community, so I'm not getting to personally inspect new offerings like I once did. :(

The Signature series has always been the Schott made jackets, and I've always found them 'roomy'. I require a 25" sleeve. I found their large sizing perfect for my shoulders, but those jackets always had 24" sleeves, so I've always had to go up to an XL. The length was just fine for me, and I'm 6' 1".

The Legend pattern was absolutely perfect. 25" sleeves, fit in the shoulder and body in a large. Homerun for this reviewer. All the Legend pattern jackets fit me like they were tailor made for me. They were about an inch shorter than the Signature on my build.

So, that said, the Legend was patterned after an original Cooper Raiders jacket.

If this new jacket is based on the original Cooper, I'm HOPING it will be a repeat of the Legend pattern without CALLING it a Legend, and ALL the Legends were made by Schott, regardless of hide.

As an aside, I also note Wings still gets razzed about the Cape Buffalo hide Indy jacket they made, as indicated by the 'car coat' remark above, and though it's been stated several times, it bears repeating, they did NOT come up with that pattern.

Those specs were directly Disney driven as required specs for use on the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. They wanted a hard as nails hide, and a longer jacket for better protection of the lower back of the stunt men using it during the shows. They are sold exactly as spec'd by WDW, incorrectly placed snaps and all, and due to that, HAVE a direct connection to our hobby with that connection. Car coat length and all, that entire package was Disney directed. Not USW's.

So, I'm hoping the new Coopers are Legend patterns, but honestly I have no personal knowledge one way or the other.....but the fact they're made by Schott narrows down the direction they could have gone.

Regards! M
Very valuable info and I appreciate your articulating for me all the differences. I am now very much looking forward to the Cooper and hope that it is a legend. I understand about WDW....I thought it was so long because I ordered a Long. Not a bad looking jacket IF you were not looking for a semi accurate Raiders.

Hope you are well. Thanks!
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Thanks for the information, I did not know it before.

But I don't think the car coat length is a coincidence, otherwise how can you explain in their new edition of roo jacket they added 2.5 inches in length?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The original 'roo jackets were Legend series, then the NEW ones in stock were made using the Signature series patterns, which ARE about 2.5 inches or so different in length.

Schott make both jackets, so who knows?

Guessing, of course.

Regards! M
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Got the jacket! More later as I am working, but initial impressions: I love it. Perfect for my purposes.

The skin (striated lamb) is terrific... exactly what I wanted. It has a pronounced grain and a nice deep brown color. It is soft and supple, but does not feel flimsy or fragile at all. I may add some light distressing just for fun. The jacket is longish (about 29" maybe?) but as I've said, I intend THIS jacket as an everyday wear jacket and I tend to wear my shirts untucked, so a longer jacket serves me well. In any case, it does not look comically long to me. It hangs about 1/2 way down my back pockets. The jacket is quality construction throughout. The lining appears to be a synthetic knit and the jacket has light insulation. I would NOT want that for a cosplay jacket, but that's a great for everyday wear here in the Midwest and I should be able to wear this jacket well in to December. Sleeve length is MAYBE 1/2" too long for me, but I expect it ride up a little with some wear so I'm calling that good. Overall fit is good. I mentioned that I'm losing a lot of weight and I currently wear a 2XL in most clothing (down from 4-5XL). This is a 3XL and it fits great in the chest and shoulders, but is snug around the waist.... with a 100+ pound weight loss so far, my proportions are a bit weird as I have some loose skin. I expect the fit will improve as my skin continues to contract (as it has) and I lose more weight.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this is a high accuracy cosplay jacket, but it is an excellent Indy casual wear jacket and I am delighted.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

IndianaSmitty wrote:Got the jacket! More later as I am working, but initial impressions: I love it. Perfect for my purposes.
How much texture do the striations show and what does your label look like? Is it the orange label?
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Tennessee Smith wrote:
IndianaSmitty wrote:Got the jacket! More later as I am working, but initial impressions: I love it. Perfect for my purposes.
How much texture do the striations show and what does your label look like? Is it the orange label?
The texture is visible without being "alligator-like"

The label is a special orange 40th anniversary Cooper label.

marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

The skin looks nice and more importantly, congrats on the weight loss! Keep it going! :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Michaelson wrote:Howdy! A GREAT thing, in my personal opinion. :M: :tup:

Schott jackets have been around since the 20's, creator of the original 'Perfecto' motorcycle jacket as worn by Marlon Brando in the 'Wild One', still owned by the same family, and built like tanks.
+1.

IMO Schott is as good as it gets for US made leather jackets. As M mentioned, they've been in the game forever and were even a Navy G-1 jacket contractor for a while. They still make USW's Signature Series G-1s which are one of the two labels sold at the Navy Exchange and approved for official wear.

Buy with confidence.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Yea, Schott jackets are terrific. Have no fears.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

IndianaSmitty wrote:
Thanks for sharing the pics! The jacket looks great :TOH:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Congrats! I just got my shipping notice for my striated lamb. Can't wait.

Update: just found out my jacket should arrive on Friday!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Got my jacket! Skin is amazingly soft and supple. Nice fit on length and sleeves for me. Although it has a light quilted lining throughout so it makes it a nice winter jacket. Even the sleeves are quilted.

No room to layer though. Just a tshirt or one shirt underneath for me but that's OK.

My zipper seems to have a problem. Halfway up it gives way and separates. Not that I zip up my Indy jackets though!.

Overall, it's an awesome jacket!
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Charybdis wrote:Got my jacket! Skin is amazingly soft and supple. Nice fit on length and sleeves for me. Although it has a light quilted lining throughout so it makes it a nice winter jacket. Even the sleeves are quilted.

No room to layer though. Just a tshirt or one shirt underneath for me but that's OK.

My zipper seems to have a problem. Halfway up it gives way and separates. Not that I zip up my Indy jackets though!.

May I ask the fit pics and measurements? Which size did you order?
Thanks!
Last edited by Hammerklavier on Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Hammerklavier wrote:
Charybdis wrote:Got my jacket! Skin is amazingly soft and supple. Nice fit on length and sleeves for me. Although it has a light quilted lining throughout so it makes it a nice winter jacket. Even the sleeves are quilted.

May I ask the fit pics and measurements? Which size did you order?
Thanks!

通过我的 Pixel 3a XL 上的 Tapatalk发言
Ditto!!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

It's a size Large. They say its 42-44 in the chest. I will measure lengths and get back later tonight...
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Is striated lambskin indy is actually a charcoal one that sold a while ago in much cheaper Price?? http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ($198 and now $495?)
Same example can be found in the goatskin Indy jacket, http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... s+goatskin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Originally sold around $198, now $369??
Seriously?
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Ok, for the Large lambskin this is what its showing:

Sleeve 25
Back 26.75
Sempre Avanti
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sempre Avanti »

Can you share some pics? I'm on the fence purchasing this jacket or another Wested. I'm excited to see what these jackets really look like! Much appreciated!
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Hammerklavier wrote:Is striated lambskin indy is actually a charcoal one that sold a while ago in much cheaper Price?? http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ($198 and now $495?)
Same example can be found in the goatskin Indy jacket, http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... s+goatskin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Originally sold around $198, now $369??
Seriously?
Doubtful. These are Coopers.