2021 hat options list

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: 2021 hat options list

Post by jgino »

JC1972 wrote:I just ordered a Advintage Raider last week, 120 day wait which I don't mind. I have my Harrison to tide me over.
How is Advintage regarding shipping to the States?
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

What is the MasterPiece fedora Advintage offers? How is it different from their other fedoras?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

DR Ulloa wrote:
jlee562 wrote:
DR Ulloa wrote:Consider that when we take a picture holding a fedora with arm outstretched, it will look tapered regardless of it being stovepipe straight. Photos don’t always show what we see with our eyes from all angles.
The kind of photo distortion one gets when taking a selfie would not be applicable for a photo set like the one I posted above where it's a series of photos with a set distance from the camera.

https://youtu.be/9zumV39nm60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And just to reiterate, it's only some Penmans that come out this way to my eye. Unless your hat is the one I randomly picked from FB, my comments may not apply to your hat.
It definitely is not. LOL

I feel very much like you. I don't care for the exaggerated SoC look that we often see. It isn't even that distressed or saggy in the film. Personally, my favorite look has always been the Chachapoyan Temple hat.

Dave
Yah, I rewatched Raiders before I ordered my hat just to see if I really wanted it styled after a specific scene or not. I really don't know what shots in the Cairo sequence some folks are basing their SOC hat on. Especially looking at the hat as it is today (i.e. the Propstore auction pics), I think the "mushroom" effect in particular has been greatly overstated and oversold.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I’m a Garrison man myself through and through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Hasn’t he put a hold on business for a couple years?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

He has, but he keeps his hand in the game, occasionally posting on his FB page of projects he’s looking at to restart orders as he has time available from his surveying work.

Regards! Michaelson
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

jgino wrote:
JC1972 wrote:I just ordered a Advintage Raider last week, 120 day wait which I don't mind. I have my Harrison to tide me over.
I've ordered 5 hats from AdVintage. I've found their shipping to be reasonable cost and quick -- my hats generally arrived about 2 wks after they were shipped out (I live in Maryland). Pre-pandemic, of course.
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Howard Weinstein wrote:
jgino wrote:
I've ordered 5 hats from AdVintage. I've found their shipping to be reasonable cost and quick -- my hats generally arrived about 2 wks after they were shipped out (I live in Maryland). Pre-pandemic, of course.
Thanks

Are the hats good for everyday wear or are they more for costume?
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I bought one couple of years ago, ToD with a small turn.
And I wear it all the time, it’s a true hat and he’s worth the wait.

Croft :mrgreen:
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Indiana Croft wrote:I bought one couple of years ago, ToD with a small turn.
And I wear it all the time, it’s a true hat and he’s worth the wait.

Croft :mrgreen:
Agreed. I have one and I wear it often. It's lighter than my other hats but still feels well made. I would guess it's the felt.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If it's FEPSA felt, it's definitely the felt.

Denser and lighter.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

I've done a lot of hiking and such with my Raiders HJ and it has held up beautifully. I have a Fed IV Deluxe that I intended to be my "adventure" hat, but I find myself continuing to don the HJ.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Michaelson wrote:If it's FEPSA felt, it's definitely the felt.

Denser and lighter.

Regards! Michaelson
I'm thinkin that FEPSA is what AdVintage uses and yes, it makes it lighter than say, a Penman, in regular beaver felt. The quality of AdVintage seems very nice as well. I've had no issues so far. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I've been wearing a FEPSA beaver felt fedora made in 2006 almost daily.

It's been rebuilt 4 times that I can recall, and keeps coming back for more.

It's tough, but light weight.

Great stuff!

Regards! Michaelson
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

jgino wrote:
Howard Weinstein wrote:
jgino wrote:
Thanks

Are the hats good for everyday wear or are they more for costume?
I'm no expert, but I think they stand alongside the better hats available for everyday wear and not just costuming.

I have 2 rabbit Harrisons, which I think are a finer, lighter felt than the very nice Fed IV for about the same price (plus AdVintage will shape the hat to the movie of your choice).

I also have a pair of 80/20 rabbit/beaver mix Harrisons, which definitely feel like higher-quality felt. And I have a custom Portuguese beaver (gray), which from comments by others here seems equal to similar felt from other hatters.
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

So did anyone ever order one from HNC-Hatworks?? I've been so tempted but wanted another opinion. I currently own: 5 Advintage, 3 Penmans, 2 Garrisons, and 4 FED IV.

I have the itch again and that price is to nice just to ignore.

https://www.hnc-hatworks.com/en-us/collections/fedoras
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

In your case, I would suggest an HJ before their inevitable price bump. Haven’t heard of hnc personally. :TOH:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Teneas, you seem to have a nice collection of "who's who" Indy hats. I would say, aim for a complete set. HJ or Steel and Jones.

Full disclosure: those are two I want in to try next!
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

teneas wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:17 pm So did anyone ever order one from HNC-Hatworks?? I've been so tempted but wanted another opinion. I currently own: 5 Advintage, 3 Penmans, 2 Garrisons, and 4 FED IV.

They've been on Etsy for a while. I've been tempted to get one as well but never pulled the trigger. The product seems to be pretty good, especially at the price point. But as far as I've ever been able to tell, the brim isn't dimensionally cut and it's just a 3" brim all the way around. But that can always be rectified if you have the skill to trim it. Supposedly you can get one in beaver as well, but I don't know for sure. As far as I'm concerned if it's strictly an Indy hat and you're stuck in that price range then a Harrison or Fed might actually be better, but if you're after something custom then it's a good way to go. But given your collection already I don't know how much you'd actually like it; it won't be as nice as your Penmans nor will it have the durability of a Fed.
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:19 pm
teneas wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:17 pm So did anyone ever order one from HNC-Hatworks?? I've been so tempted but wanted another opinion. I currently own: 5 Advintage, 3 Penmans, 2 Garrisons, and 4 FED IV.

They've been on Etsy for a while. I've been tempted to get one as well but never pulled the trigger. The product seems to be pretty good, especially at the price point. But as far as I've ever been able to tell, the brim isn't dimensionally cut and it's just a 3" brim all the way around. But that can always be rectified if you have the skill to trim it. Supposedly you can get one in beaver as well, but I don't know for sure. As far as I'm concerned if it's strictly an Indy hat and you're stuck in that price range then a Harrison or Fed might actually be better, but if you're after something custom then it's a good way to go. But given your collection already I don't know how much you'd actually like it; it won't be as nice as your Penmans nor will it have the durability of a Fed.
Actually once you start moving through the process to purchase one, you can ask for anything you'd like. They give you an opportunity to state the brim dimensions, crown height, if you are a long oval head shape, etc etc.
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

IJJTM wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:42 pm In your case, I would suggest an HJ before their inevitable price bump. Haven’t heard of hnc personally. :TOH:
I forgot to mention I own a HJ as well. Love it.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

In that case, I would give Steele and Jones a try.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

teneas wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:14 am

Actually once you start moving through the process to purchase one, you can ask for anything you'd like. They give you an opportunity to state the brim dimensions, crown height, if you are a long oval head shape, etc etc.
Hmm. That is interesting. Is beaver an option? Open crown?

If so then that level of customizability toward screen accuracy would make it a steal at that price. I might actually pull the trigger then.
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:10 pm
teneas wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:14 am

Hmm. That is interesting. Is beaver an option? Open crown?

If so then that level of customizability toward screen accuracy would make it a steal at that price. I might actually pull the trigger then.
All the above options you listed are available. I think even more if you reach out to them.
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

The thing with Penman - I have owned a couple and the workmanship is pretty incredible.

That said, the problem I have with them is that I personally feel there is no "extra" in the shape. Meaning, it is a somewhat perfect shape out of the box but any shrinkage of any kind (which is inevitable) immediately goes into too a shape that is too small or too homogenous.

And this could be perfect on smaller heads and faces.

But my stupid head is too big haha so there comes to be no "play" in the contours.

In conversation with Marc Kitter way way back he talked about making a hat shape that was a little too big such that the eventual hat would settle down into what it should be.

BUT - if you want a CS hat, Penman is using the movie blocks so this issue becomes free of what his interpretation might otherwise be.

ON THE FLIP SIDE - HJ hats are using what they feel are the real blocks for Raiders and are indeed using the blocks for Last Crusade. And you'll note that many of the photos in COW of new HJ hats look too big. This is probably because they need to settle in and shrink and form and become used to their owner.

Allllll my personal experience and opinion. Believe me, the Penman hats are amazing. The Raider did not look good on me but I had a CS travel hat and CS brown, both of which rock.