My latest whip - My dream come true

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

My latest whip - My dream come true

Post by bearbeast »

I have made a few whips in the past... some in paracord... some in cowhide, a couple in roohide. I never had the courage to make a 10 feet one in leather up until last week. I don't have access to the greatest roohide. The one I can get is 0.8 mm thick, which is slightly too thin for whipmaking, so the strands break very easily and need to be cut very wide, in comparison to the final needed width.

To be sure, I bought a lot of these hides, to make sure I won't run out while making this whip...

It was also stressful as I have some pain in both my elbows and I didn't know if I could get through this entire build without further injury... But I DID it!!! \:D/

It is not very screen accurate, but I made it to my very own taste and I love the look.

- it has a short handle - 4,5 inches in the diamond plate area
- the handle and the beginning of the thong are the flushed, having the same diameter - around 21.4 cm
- the overall profile is somewhat slim
- the heel is Ch-ch-chunky! I wanted to have a big heel knot.
- it has a full braided inner construction - I made three bellies, instead of using any bolsters.

But enough of my rambling, here are some pics... hope you like my new piece:

As always, you can see the original, HD pictures here: https://imgur.com/gallery/m3HNMlO

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Bear
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My latest whip - My dream come true

Post by tomek9210 »

That's a great whip! I like it a lot. What about some video :whip: ?

There are a few gaps in the mid part of the plaiting due to one strand cut slightly narrower than others, but the skill will come with time and more plaited whips :TOH:

Isn't the buttknot lace coming off? The bights near wrist loop look slightly loose.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Hey, Tomek! Thank you, glad you like it! When I get to take it out, I'll have to make a video. Corona-quarantine was just instated in my town today.

I admit I got a bit sloppy and careless with this whip, the strand prepping wasn't my greatest work. I was much more careful with my earlier whips. I am still very satisfied with the outcome, the plaiting is the tightest I have done so far.

The last strands are riding up on the wrist loop, but they are very tight. I redid the heel knot three times before I was close to satisfied. (I am about 70% satisfied with it). I can always take it off and make it a new when I pluck up some courage!
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I have redone so many whips or knots that I wasn't completely satisfied with that I cannot count them all. Each time you redo thing, you are more focused and it gives you strength and skill.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Yup, definitely! The knots still drive me insanely angry somehow, each time I make them. I think that's my lowest skill when it comes to whip making... ](*,)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Beautiful craftsmanship! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll be interested to see how it darkens up!

Regards! Michaelson :M:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Thank you very much, Michaelson! :notworthy:

The few other roo-hide whips I've made have been darkening up really lovely: a uniform golden-brown hue.

And a 1/4 scale whip that I always carry in my pants pocket is getting really dark (I'll post a picture later today). Mind you, I fidget with it all the time and in the warmer seasons it's exposed to some sweat as well...

Cheers,
Bear
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Here's a pic of the mini-whip, after two years:

Compared to new:

And here are some higher resolution pics:

Initial:

https://imgur.com/a/1JSFWNQ