15 year old Wested!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

15 year old Wested!

Post by neromakes »

today I received my first jacket! a ~15 year old Wested in cowhide (standard sizing) technically a TOD, but I'll be using it with my Raiders kit. according to the seller, standard Raiders and TOD jackets were basically the same back then. I'm super stoked with this thing. it'll hurt to weather it. ;)

I've got proper Raiders buckles on the way..
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: 15 year old Wested!

Post by IJJTM »

Where did you get the buckles from, and what makes it more of a TOD? The pockets seem more Raiders-sized to my eyes.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

That's a great color! Can you tell if that's the original color, or did the previous owner treat it with something?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Nice find! How thick is the leather?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The leather certainly looks good. Looks like it was never worn.

But I remember those days when they were all effectively the same jacket that Wested was offering. I still have no idea what about it they considered TOD, unless the fit was more snug or they made it an inch longer. But for that reason it will make a much more effective Raiders jacket. Just be careful swapping out those buckles.
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

IJJTM wrote:Where did you get the buckles from, and what makes it more of a TOD? The pockets seem more Raiders-sized to my eyes.
I ordered buckles (and a double wrap whip holder) from makeitjones.

as for it being a TOD jacket, I know the pockets are Raiders sized- apparently the only factor in determining which jacket you had was the certificate it came with! lol
indy89 wrote:That's a great color! Can you tell if that's the original color, or did the previous owner treat it with something?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I think it's the original colour. he said it had never been worn since he got a lambskin at the same time and the cowhide was too warm for him.. luckily I'm in Canada! :D
xmasters wrote:Nice find! How thick is the leather?
I don't know technical terms so I'll just say "kinda thick". it has a nice weight to it.
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

started distressing- leather dye is a life saver. wouldn't be able to live with those grey undertones!

Before

After
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

That leather dye did make the undertones look a ton better. Which dye did you use and how did you apply it?
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Illinois_Jones wrote:The leather certainly looks good. Looks like it was never worn.

But I remember those days when they were all effectively the same jacket that Wested was offering. I still have no idea what about it they considered TOD, unless the fit was more snug or they made it an inch longer. But for that reason it will make a much more effective Raiders jacket. Just be careful swapping out those buckles.
Back then, Wested's TOD jackets were identical to their Raiders, but with an extra inch of body length. That was it. This was before they had access to the Noel Howard screen-used TOD jacket.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:
Illinois_Jones wrote:The leather certainly looks good. Looks like it was never worn.

Back then, Wested's TOD jackets were identical to their Raiders, but with an extra inch of body length. That was it. This was before they had access to the Noel Howard screen-used TOD jacket.
Thanks. I figured it had to be something, otherwise they wouldn't have marketed it separately. Of course back then I remember about the only difference we all agreed on was that the TOD was longer than Raiders.

Part of me wonders if Wested's hesitancy to make a jacket that more closely approximated the TOD, because they really had to be talked into it like 10 years ago, was the combination of it not being their pattern and that the pockets were so absurdly small and impractical they thought people would return them.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Considering Wested/Peter had been essentially shut out from making jackets for TofD, I think they were hesitant to push it one way or the other as the didn’t know how the LFL lawyers would react.

Regards! Michaelson
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Considering Wested/Peter had been essentially shut out from making jackets for TofD, I think they were hesitant to push it one way or the other as the didn’t know how the LFL lawyers would react.

Regards! Michaelson
Makes sense. Reminds me of how the ladies down in Katoomba were forced to put that disclaimer on the Fed way back when.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Illinois_Jones wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Considering Wested/Peter had been essentially shut out from making jackets for TofD, I think they were hesitant to push it one way or the other as the didn’t know how the LFL lawyers would react.

Regards! Michaelson
Makes sense. Reminds me of how the ladies down in Katoomba were forced to put that disclaimer on the Fed way back when.

Actually, a little historical side note, they were never ‘forced’ to do that. The Federation was created as a ‘be all, do all’ hat that appealed to not only us, but the folks who were into the swing dance craze that was going on at the time.
The disclaimer was placed as soon as the hat was announced as HatsDirect didn’t want any direct connection to LFL franchises what so ever and draw the ire of their lawyers to their doorstep. They also called it the Federation to honor the anniversary of the Federation with the UK, further distancing them from the Indy franchise.

Anyway, back to the fine jacket under discussion. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

here's a little collage of how the weathering is going! I have been referencing the truck jacket.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Did you ever say what leather dye you used?
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

IJJTM wrote:Did you ever say what leather dye you used?
fiebing's in dark brown!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

That looks great!

The dye is definitely Dark Brown not Medium brown?
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

xmasters wrote:That looks great!

The dye is definitely Dark Brown not Medium brown?
yes, the bottle says dark brown. :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Great. I'll order some for my jackets.
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

I'm still waiting on my new strap buckles, but I think I'm done with the distressing! I used the truck chase jacket as my general reference, but I didn't go as heavy.

Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

It's cool to see a distressing project using an old Wested. It looks great with the dye-job. I remember years ago, I was frustrated by those gray undertones. I had no idea that I could have just dyed it. Now I'm thinking about getting an old one to do this with. Thanks for showing.
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

Prodigal Son wrote:It's cool to see a distressing project using an old Wested. It looks great with the dye-job. I remember years ago, I was frustrated by those gray undertones. I had no idea that I could have just dyed it. Now I'm thinking about getting an old one to do this with. Thanks for showing.
thank you! I'm glad I could unintentionally convince you to spend more money! :D \:D/
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

One question, when you apply the dye, are you dabbing onto the just the area with the grey undertone?
I have a Wested hero of oh about 8 yrs old +/-

But it has the grey which I’ve always hated, so this dye may just what it needs so get’s a little more wear time.

Croft :mrgreen:
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

Indiana Croft wrote:One question, when you apply the dye, are you dabbing onto the just the area with the grey undertone?
I have a Wested hero of oh about 8 yrs old +/-

But it has the grey which I’ve always hated, so this dye may just what it needs so get’s a little more wear time.

yes, just on the grey areas. :)
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Awesome.
My stain will be here Thursday.
Will try to take pictures of my Wested, close up before and after.
We;lol see how they. Turn out.
Always hated the grey undertones.
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Hey there. It's not a 15 year old Wested, but a Legacy one, but i've used Neromakes dye distressing tip, and it worked perfectly.
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

ltfoley wrote:Hey there. It's not a 15 year old Wested, but a Legacy one, but i've used Neromakes dye distressing tip, and it worked perfectly.
it looks great! so happy I could help. :TOH: