STEELE & JONES '38

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiego Jones
Vendor

Re: STEELE & JONES '38

Post by Indiego Jones »

Hi friends!

Another satisfied customer in Tennessee received this beauty.

Cheers.-

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Wow that looks beautiful. I keep wanting to place an order for a jacket, I just haven't decided which movie yet.
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

What hide is it?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Trenin wrote:What hide is it?
Our last Premium Horsehide skin.
Standard thickness.

We still have available some of the thin version.

Regards.-
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I think this is the first of your jackets I have seen that isn't distressed!
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

I thought I recognized it. Such a nice hide. I had Magnoli make me a frock coat out of a waxed horsehide I bought stateside from Horween and while I like it, I really the feel of the thin horsehide you have. Do you default to the thicker of the hides for the 38 because the lambskin in the film was thicker? What hides are you selling the jackets in right now?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ken wrote:I think this is the first of your jackets I have seen that isn't distressed!
So, with that clue, who do you think in Tennessee ordered and received it? :-k 8)

Regards! Michaelson
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Trenin wrote:I thought I recognized it. Such a nice hide. I had Magnoli make me a frock coat out of a waxed horsehide I bought stateside from Horween and while I like it, I really the feel of the thin horsehide you have. Do you default to the thicker of the hides for the 38 because the lambskin in the film was thicker? What hides are you selling the jackets in right now?
Yes, we used thick version for LC, due to the original jacket thickness.

Our Horsehide batches were ordered in 2 different thickness:

Standard = 0.7 to 0.9mm (Perfect for Last Crusade. Very good for Raiders) ----> OUT OF STOCK - NO RE-STOCK
Thin = 0.5 to 0.7mm (this version drapes, feels and weighs like lambskin, but with the strength of horsehide. Perfect for ToD and Raiders) ---> IN STOCK

Current skins:

* Accurate RAIDERS Dark Chocolate Ribby Lambskin

* Accurate TEMPLE OF DOOM Dark Chocolate Lambskin

* Accurate LAST CRUSADE Thick Chocolate Lambskin

* Chocolate Premium Thin Horsehide (Raiders and ToD jackets)

Regards.-
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Michaelson wrote:
Ken wrote:I think this is the first of your jackets I have seen that isn't distressed!
So, with that clue, who do you think in Tennessee ordered and received it? :-k 8)

Regards! Michaelson
I can't possibly image but I hope whoever it is they give us a nice review of it! :)

Ken
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, I could I guess. :-k ....but I didn't want to build it up, only to add to what Diego said above...'The hide is no longer available....but DANG it's nice!' :CR:

Can't add much to what has already been said over and over again regarding dealing with Steele and Jones.

Fit, perfect.
Craftsmanship, perfect.
Communication, BEYOND perfect.
After completion, shipping, using UPS Courier, received in hand in 7 days!

The wife even gives it two thumbs up, and she's seen PASSELS of jackets come and go out of my collection over the past 30+ years in the hobby. This one she really likes!

That's about it, with the exception it's in the 90's here and it won't be worn until it cools down, so that's the ONLY down side to this whole affair I can even think of!

Regards! M :M:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Well, I could I guess. :-k ....but I didn't want to build it up, only to add to what Diego said above...'The hide is no longer available....but DANG it's nice!' :CR:

Can't add much to what has already been said over and over again regarding dealing with Steele and Jones.

Fit, perfect.
Craftsmanship, perfect.

The wife even gives it two thumbs up, and she's seen PASSELS of jackets come and go out of my collection over the past 30+ years in the hobby. This one she really likes!

That's about it, with the exception it's in the 90's here and it won't be worn until it cools down, so that's the ONLY down side to this whole affair I can even think of!

Thank you so much for the kind words.

It was a pleasure to make this jacket.
We greatly appreciate your willingness to help us with the measurements and sizing process.

Once the weather permits, we hope you enjoy it very much.

Best regards.-
Last edited by Indiego Jones on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

Michaelson! I’m glad you took the plunge. I’m curious to your thoughts on how it compares to the legend jacket you used to have. Obviously not from the same film, but all the same.
CarolinaIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by CarolinaIndy »

Michaelson wrote:
Congratulations on the new jacket! My wife had the very same reaction to my Steele & Jones Truck Chase jacket.

Best,
Carolina
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Trenin wrote:Michaelson! I’m glad you took the plunge. I’m curious to your thoughts on how it compares to the legend jacket you used to have. Obviously not from the same film, but all the same.
For off the rack, the Legend pattern fit me the best of any OTR jacket out there, but this is a custom made jacket made to order and my measurements. Apples and oranges. ;)

Regards! M
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Michaelson wrote:Well, I could I guess. :-k ....but I didn't want to build it up, only to add to what Diego said above...'The hide is no longer available....but DANG it's nice!' :CR:

Fit, perfect.
Craftsmanship, perfect.

:WLWOP:

Seriously though would be cool to see some photos of you sporting it if you get the chance!
Ken
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I promised Diego I would first chance I got, so I may do just that, Ken. ;)

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Wearing mine around the house today breaking it in. It’s already forming nicely to my body so it’s going to be VERY comfortable when I can wear it every day!

Still haven’t had a chance to take any photos yet but I will!

Regards! Michaelson
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Good to know!
Looking foward to the pics! :TOH:

Best regards.-
simndermot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by simndermot »

I'll be joining the fraternity of '38 owners in March! I can't wait!
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

I will as well! Mine should be done in April. =P~
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

My LC "tank" jacket has arrived, in the regular horsehide ...

Last edited by CRB on Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, just keep wearing it. They loosen up with wear. Mine has...Beautiful jacket!

Regards! Michaelson
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Very nice, very nice indeed.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

CRB wrote:My LC "tank" jacket has arrived, in the regular horsehide ...

Some photos below. It was ordered without distressing as I'm not a fan of the LC "stripes" that I personally think look unnatural. I've tried to take some of the shine out of the leather with fine sandpaper, accidentally rubbed off some of the black colouring on the poppers, oops. Going to need a lot of breaking in, it is horsehide after all.
Thank you for posting!
Cheers.-
simndermot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by simndermot »

CRB wrote:My LC "tank" jacket has arrived, in the regular horsehide ...

Some photos below. It was ordered without distressing as I'm not a fan of the LC "stripes" that I personally think look unnatural. I've tried to take some of the shine out of the leather with fine sandpaper, accidentally rubbed off some of the black colouring on the poppers, oops. Going to need a lot of breaking in, it is horsehide after all.

What are these "LC stripes" you speak of? I just sent over measurements and will need to make a decision on distressing soon.

Beautiful jacket! I can't wait to get mine!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

The distressing of the jacket in LC was a bit ham-handed and can look like a belt-sander was used along the seams. You can see it on the sleeves here but its along body seams too. Steele and Jones do their distressing pre-construction so the stitching isn’t weakened, so that’s not an issue. But they will be very accurate to the screen distressing unless you ask them to do it differently.
Last edited by Tibor on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
simndermot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by simndermot »

Tibor wrote:Image

The distressing of the jacket in LC was a bit ham-handed and can look like a belt-sander was used along the seams. You can see it on the sleaves here but its along body seams too. Steele and Jones do their distressing pre-construction so the stitching isn’t weakened, so that’s not an issue. But they will be very accurate to the screen distressing unless you ask them to do it differently.
Thanks for the information! That helped a lot!
Hobbstc
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hobbstc »

The website seems a bit of a mess. Is email the best way to communicate?
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Absolutely, send them an email. I was a little worried about the lack of info on the website as well before ordering. But since I reached out by email the communication I have received has been fantastic and detailed. They are really responsive and good to work with.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Thanks for the kind comments. I've been wearing the jacket almost literally non-stop since it arrived last week and it is beginning to loosen up. This is just how horse is, it needs work :) Although I must stress that compared to "normal" thickness horsehide this stuff IS soft and IS thinner. A normal horsehide jacket will stand up by itself and will take a lifetime to break in and become soft. Both horsehides though will outlast you though no matter what adventures you find yourself in ! :)

Despite what the website looks like, get in contact with Diego - dealing with Diego has been more than a pleasure, and it's not even their full time job. Best customer service I've ever seen and this is my 20th Indy jacket (of which I only kept 5) which is more than I can say for another manufacturer (ahem!). Diego's approach is one that makes you want to go back for more, the other ... isn't.
Last edited by CRB on Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
simndermot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by simndermot »

CRB wrote:Thanks for the kind comments. I've been wearing the jacket almost literally non-stop since it arrived last week and it is beginning to loosen up. This is just how horse is, it needs work :) Although I must stress that compared to "normal" thickness horsehide this stuff IS soft and IS thinner. A normal horsehide jacket will stand up by itself and will take a lifetime to break in and become soft. Both horsehides though will outlast you though no matter what adventures you find yourself in ! :)

Despite what the website looks like, get in contact with Diego - dealing with Diego has been more than a pleasure, and it's not even their full time job. Best customer service I've ever seen and this is my 20th Indy jacket (of which I only kept 5) which is more than I can say for another manufacturer (ahem!). Diego's approach is one that makes you want to go back for more, the other ... isn't.

I'm going to carry on lightly distressing the jacket, bashing it, wearing it, and will update with more photos when it's starting to change appearance.
I can't agree with the comments on Diego enough. I'm in the early stages of the ordering process (just sent over my measurements), and the support has been fantastic. Diego is a solid guy and knows how to interact with and treat his customers.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

simndermot wrote:
CRB wrote:Thanks for the kind comments. I've been wearing the jacket almost literally non-stop since it arrived last week and it is beginning to loosen up. This is just how horse is, it needs work :) Although I must stress that compared to "normal" thickness horsehide this stuff IS soft and IS thinner. A normal horsehide jacket will stand up by itself and will take a lifetime to break in and become soft. Both horsehides though will outlast you though no matter what adventures you find yourself in ! :)

I'm going to carry on lightly distressing the jacket, bashing it, wearing it, and will update with more photos when it's starting to change appearance.
I can't agree with the comments on Diego enough. I'm in the early stages of the ordering process (just sent over my measurements), and the support has been fantastic. Diego is a solid guy and knows how to interact with and treat his customers.
Since I sold my Wested a few years back, I've hesitated to purchase a new jacket. After reading a lot of the comments here, I sent them a message on FB to send prices/info because it's obvious they are the way to go for a new jacket.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

simndermot wrote:

I got their truck jacket about a year ago and can confirm, Diego might be the most patient man alive :rolling: I waterboarded him for months with questions and emails and he was always very businesslike and helpful. 10/10 would recommend... the jacket is good too :D :whip:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Thanks CRB for the kind words.
It's a pleasure to deal with you too.

And thanks for all the nice comments!!!
We love this part-time job.

Thanks!
Cheers.-
simndermot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by simndermot »

[/quote] I got their truck jacket about a year ago and can confirm, Diego might be the most patient man alive :rolling: I waterboarded him for months with questions and emails and he was always very businesslike and helpful. 10/10 would recommend... the jacket is good too :D :whip:[/quote]

I quite literally spit my drink out when I read the waterboarded statement. Victory is yours, sir!
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

simndermot wrote:
I got their truck jacket about a year ago and can confirm, Diego might be the most patient man alive :rolling: I waterboarded him for months with questions and emails and he was always very businesslike and helpful. 10/10 would recommend... the jacket is good too :D :whip:[/quote]

I quite literally spit my drink out when I read the waterboarded statement. Victory is yours, sir![/quote]

Well thanks XD Glad someone appreciates my humor :TOH:
simndermot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by simndermot »

ImageImage

I got my Steele and Jones '38 a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it! This was money extremely well spent! The leather was perfect, the distressing was just right (I asked them to back it off a little from normal) and it fits beautifully. I can't recommend those guys enough.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's a home run! I'm not a fan of the LC distressing, even when done "correctly" so your amount is much more natural looking.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Thank you so much for this pics and review!
Jacket looks great on you. Great fit.
ENJOY IT!!!
Cheers.-
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

That looks great! On my list for later this year!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Would love to see the latest pics, but they're not showing up now.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

There are few things as satisfying in this hobby as when a vendor has as much passion as we do as collectors. Bravo to you and your team, Diego. A ‘38 is my one and only choice for my next jacket. :TOH:
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Mike wrote:Would love to see the latest pics, but they're not showing up now.
Mine too. Tried in multiple browsers on both mobile and desktop.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yep, same here.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Indiana_Nate wrote:There are few things as satisfying in this hobby as when a vendor has as much passion as we do as collectors. Bravo to you and your team, Diego. A ‘38 is my one and only choice for my next jacket. :TOH:
Thank you so much for this words.
It means a lot to us.

It will be great to make a jacket for you!
Cheers.-
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The only BAD thing about it is when you have to put it away due to warm weather. :|

Regards! Michaelson
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Yeah nada on seeing those pics
D
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by D »

Just put a deposit down for a '38. Trying to decide how much distressing to go with. I want to be able to wear this in the real world, on a date with my wife etc and not look like a costume. Any thoughts on this? Is distressing that is accurate to the movie stand out like a sore thumb in the real world with a t shirt and jeans on, or is it ok?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Mine came undistressed and I haven’t regretted it one bit.

Regards! Michaelson
D
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by D »

Michaelson wrote:Mine came undistressed and I haven’t regretted it one bit.

Regards! Michaelson
Oh I definitely want distressing, just trying to figure out how far to take it.