Need Your Observations

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Need Your Observations

Post by IndianaJustin »

Starting to think about getting a new bullwhip, because well, I'm spending too much time on line.

Does anyone own a Del Carpio, a Nolan, a Trinity Whip co, and maybe a Strain that could help with pros and cons of each? Either you have one of each or used to to subjectivity compare their traits.

I appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,
IJ
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Need Your Observations

Post by IJJTM »

I own a 9 foot Trinity Whip Co, and it’s pretty great, the only other whip I can compare it to is a 10 foot Todd’s, which works well if you don’t crack it much. I love my Trinity whip and Blake was awesome with communication. If you want a whip from a certain scene he will do his best to replicate it. I can’t think of any downsides to my Trinity whip. I’ve heard great things about Del Carpio whips, but they are more expensive and the wait time is longer. I can say the same about Nolan whips, but to my eyes they don’t seem very accurate. I’ve heard Strain’s are great and he trained Blake, but Strain’s whips are hard to come by. I believe on the Trinity Whip Co Facebook page he is selling an 8-footer Strain Raiders if you’re interested. Hope this helps. :whip:
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Thanks for your thoughts. A Strain would be great but hard to come by. I did see the one on Trinity whips facebook page. Not sure if I want an 8footer or 10 yet. One thing I'm curious about is how each handles relative to each other.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I wasn’t sure either about getting an 8 or a 10 foot, so I just went with a 9 for a happy medium.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

In terms of length, it depends on what you want to do with the whip. A lot of people like a 10' for how it looks hanging on their belt, but cracking one can be a labor, especially if you are doing combinations. That extra two feet slows the whip's responsiveness. I prefer cracking an 8' and my own whip is actually a 7'. Looks plenty good on my belt and it's much more fun for me to crack.

There are two nice whips posted in the Bazaar right now.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

I appreciate that, thanks. Pretty much I'm trying to get comparisons on the whip makers...I was just offering a quick mention that I was unsure which length I would go with next. Still working that out. I have 2 nine footers now which I really like. Sorry if I misled.... :D
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

All of the makers you mentioned creat great products and I think you would be happy with any of them. The main thing to consider is price and accuracy.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

True... they're all close enough in price and, from a computer screen, look accurate enough. Up close, though, how are they relative to each other? I'm interested in the subtle details. Is one handle spike shorter or longer, is it slimmer through the thong, like Raiders? Stuff like that. And, also, how do they throw? Is one more handle heavy, or weight to the tip? All that kind of stuff. That's why is was hoping for a comparison, if possible.
Thanks for all your help. :TOH:
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Del Carpio and Nolan whips seem to be the most screen accurate. I know, I would choose one of them, if I was looking for a Indy whip. Their whips are expensive and you may wait a bit, so ask them what is their current waiting time.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

If you want to know how they feel try contacting Trent Ryan, he owns whips from all 4 of the mentioned makers. The most 100% screen accurate is probably Del Carpio, all he does are Indy whips and he learned tips and tricks from David Morgan. Check out his Facebook if want to see more of his work that isn’t just on his website. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC_tfS9qA ... 9mQ/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Here’s a link to Trent Ryan’s YouTube he has videos on all of his whips, if you want to know how they feel try asking him, I’m pretty sure he’s active on some Indy Facebook groups if you can’t contact him through YouTube.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Thanks. I have watched his YouTube stuff, just wasn't sure if he was a member here. I'll try to get a hold of him through his channel. Good suggestion.
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

I purchased a LC 10ft from Del Carpio back in March and received it about a month ago. Couldn't be happier. It's a beautiful piece and looks exactly like the whips from the movies. If you want to go for screen accuracy and functionality I would say he's the best.

I've talked to Bernardo multiple times and he knows every single detail on how the David Morgan whips were made etc it's crazy. He's a real gentleman and will take his time to explain everything if you ask the right questions. He's been working on some KOTCS style whips and his work is impressive on those - probably the closest thing a real Jacka I've seen. I will be getting one of those from him next year. Check out his FB page - the pics speak for themselves. Happy to post pics of mine too if that helps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Thanks and if you could post pics that would be great.
I do admit a Del Carpio would be nice... :whip:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I would say that of all the Indy whip makers working today Del Carpio is probably the best, but his wait times and prices are a little more than the others. I went with Trinity because they were a little cheaper and I only had to wait for a little over a month to receive it. In my eyes, the Raiders whip that he made for me is spot on, but if you want 100% accuracy I would go with Del Carpio.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Here are pictures of my Trinity whip when I got it in August.
And here it is today.
I think that I have given it too much pecards, and that is why it looks this way.
Last edited by IJJTM on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

Here are some pics of my 10 ft Last Crusade Del Carpio (the ones he sent me before shipping and one I took). ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

The whip looks great, but I’m curious, how come you didn’t get it made in Whiskey?
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

IJJTM wrote:The whip looks great, but I’m curious, how come you didn’t get it made in Whiskey?
All of the whips I'm the first 3 movies were made in natural tan - KOTCS is the exception where the Jacka whips were darker.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

So you just want it to age over time?
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

IJJTM wrote:So you just want it to age over time?
Yes that's the plan. These things last for 10 or 20 years, and I don't intend to sell it anytime soon or ever.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

How would you say it cracks?
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

IJJTM wrote:How would you say it cracks?
I'm really just a beginner when it gets to whip and having limited backyard space and the current covid restrictions where I live means that I haven't really been able to get into it since I got it, but it handles nicely from what I've seen.

I did a fair amount of research though before deciding on my whip, and it came down to 2 makers: Del Carpio or Strain. I watched a few reviews and read a bunch of comments on YouTube videos and forums and the feedback about Del Carpio whips from seasoned whip crackers is generally really good, I even read somewhere that somebody who also owned a DM liked their Del Carpio better. Of course it's only anecdotes since the whip owner community is fairly small. The Joe Strains are also some of the best based on my research but I went for Bernardo in the end because of the extreme accuracy to the original whips even in the way they're built, and because of Bernardo's attention to details (he can tell you exactly the difference between the whips in the 3 movies for example) and I'm a sucker for details, but that's my personal choice.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Thanks for going in depth on that. The next whip I plan to get is a 6 foot Lion Tamer from either Trinity or Del Carpio. That or a 10-foot KOTCS from Del Carpio.
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

IJJTM wrote:Thanks for going in depth on that. The next whip I plan to get is a 6 foot Lion Tamer from either Trinity or Del Carpio. That or a 10-foot KOTCS from Del Carpio.
His KOTCS looks outstanding. I've seen comparison pics of his KOTCS and a Jacka, I think he nailed it. It's next on my list.
Max Chance
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Max Chance »

Just be careful not to snap your chin.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Loneken wrote:
IJJTM wrote:Thanks for going in depth on that. The next whip I plan to get is a 6 foot Lion Tamer from either Trinity or Del Carpio. That or a 10-foot KOTCS from Del Carpio.
His KOTCS looks outstanding. I've seen comparison pics of his KOTCS and a Jacka, I think he nailed it. It's next on my list.
Do you happen to have those pictures on hand?
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

IJJTM wrote:
Loneken wrote:
Do you happen to have those pictures on hand?
I do, but let me ask him first to make sure he's ok with me posting them since they're not mine Id rather let him know first.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Alright, thank you.
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

There you go. I think the Jacka is on the right and Bernardo's on the left.ImageImageImageImageImageImage
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Dang, that’s super close. Only thing is that the heel knot is too circular, but I’m assuming that he would make it more squared off if he was asked to.
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

IJJTM wrote:Dang, that’s super close. Only thing is that the heel knot is too circular, but I’m assuming that he would make it more squared off if he was asked to.
Yeah I can see that. Pretty sure he would adjust it on the next one if asked.

Overall I would say though I've seen a bunch of KOTCS replicas and I think this one the closest one to a real Jacka. Such a different design than the DMs..
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Yeah, when even the fall hitch looks spot on.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

IJJTM wrote:I would say that of all the Indy whip makers working today Del Carpio is probably the best, but his wait times and prices are a little more than the others. I went with Trinity because they were a little cheaper and I only had to wait for a little over a month to receive it. In my eyes, the Raiders whip that he made for me is spot on, but if you want 100% accuracy I would go with Del Carpio.
Respectfully I hear your thoughts. IMHO the makers mentioned above all seem very accurate, probably minute differences. So many whips used in the films, probably hard to nail down the one, true look. I'm sure they might respond differently. But they all look great.
I think I'm going with Nolan, looks great and on sale now! Woohoo!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Alright, but check with him first about his wait time, I've heard that his can take a long time, but I could be wrong.