Front Length

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

SheriffGainz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Front Length

Post by SheriffGainz »

Hello all! I've been seeing the recent threads by vertically challenged Indy fans. As one of them, I had a few questions. I emailed Wested 3 times but got no response.

I'm 5'6 and I recently ordered a Raiders as a custom fit. I chose a 26" back (going from their size charts) but it was pretty long for my taste as I'm going for a more short, Raiders fit. I was thinking of a 24" back length, maybe even 23.5", but I'm worried as I know the front on Wested jackets tends to be shorter than the back length. The custom I ordered was 3 inches difference between the front and the back.

I suppose I have 2 questions, what is the difference in length from the front and the back length on a given standard jacket? Also, what is your jacket back length and your height, and where does it fall on you? Pics?
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Front Length

Post by indymassilia »

If i'm correct,the Hero Raiders and Standard Raiders are totally different about the pattern and especially the back length measurements,i'm 1.80m/5,9Feet.
For a standard raiders custom,i needed for a perfect fit a 26 inches back length.
For a Hero raiders custom,i need for a perfect fit a 24 inches back length.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

SheriffGainz wrote:Hello all! I've been seeing the recent threads by vertically challenged Indy fans. As one of them, I had a few questions. I emailed Wested 3 times but got no response.

I'm 5'6 and I recently ordered a Raiders as a custom fit. I chose a 26" back (going from their size charts) but it was pretty long for my taste as I'm going for a more short, Raiders fit. I was thinking of a 24" back length, maybe even 23.5", but I'm worried as I know the front on Wested jackets tends to be shorter than the back length. The custom I ordered was 3 inches difference between the front and the back.

I suppose I have 2 questions, what is the difference in length from the front and the back length on a given standard jacket? Also, what is your jacket back length and your height, and where does it fall on you? Pics?
Front/back lenght depends on your chest measurement too.
Not only on your height.
So, what's your chest size?

The difference on front and back lenghts relies on the pattern.
For accurate Raiders, that difference is "around" 1.5 inches.
But again, it depends on your body frame.
SheriffGainz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SheriffGainz »

In the standard Raiders jacket I wear a size 36 for a snug fit, but my measurement would be between a 36 and 38.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

SheriffGainz wrote:In the standard Raiders jacket I wear a size 36 for a snug fit, but my measurement would be between a 36 and 38.
On accurate Raiders pattern, the front lenght for you would be around 21.5"/22".
Regards.-
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah, the 26" that the OP quoted for his previous jacket is HUGE. I'm 6'1'' and wear a size 40 or 42, and 26" is too big for me. The Raiders jacket's really supposed to be a basically waist-length jacket...
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

26" is long but Wested's standard OTR jackets are made to fit like any other OTR jacket, more or less, and 26-26.5" is what you'll find on most any size small or 40" and under chest size jacket OTR.

Like Diego said, there's a ratio that is at play between chest and back and front length. Wested will generally add a certain amount of front length to compensate for a belly if you ask, but going *shorter* on the front than what would be normal for that back length would be...unwise. You also have to account for the pockets not looking absurd with a short front. So I don't know what it is you're seeking.

I've said it here plenty before, but my general rule with Wested is that the standard OTR back length is slightly too long, so I always get a custom 1" shorter and have always been pleased. 24" on the back for someone your height might be okay - - 26" standard sizing is meant for someone in the 5'9-10" average range - - but IMO 24" might be too short for the standard and would add .5" to be safe and account for wrinkling. 24" is fine for a Hero, and possibly even long, but for a Wested standard Raiders cut, which sits higher, 24" might be short.

You have to decide what look you're going for. Cosplay, everday wear, etc., and go from there.
SheriffGainz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SheriffGainz »

My intention would be for everyday wear, not cosplay. This is why I'd prefer a shorter length. I'm 5'6 and not a centimeter taller. When I had the 26" custom, I folded the bottom length up to a 24" back. I also folded the front in proportion to the front length of that particular custom, which was a 3 inch shorter length in the front. This brought those measurements to a 24" back and 21" front, and I was actually pleased with that. Do those proportions seem about right? I wonder why that jacket had nearly double the length Indiego mentioned they should. Perhaps I measured wrong (I measured the length on the storm flap from the collar stand seam down).

I've read Illinois_Jones recommendation on going 1 inch shorter for the custom, but was curious about the back length in proportion to the front length, and also in proption to height. I wasn't quite sure if the minus 1 inch rule would change the shorter you are.

Overall I was searching for a jacket that was sit about an inch below the belt line when zipped. Deifinetly not a moto style cropped fit on the belt or above, but not a cosplay length where it's several inches below my waist line. Thank you all for your help, I greatly appreciate your input!
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

I think cosplay jackets are generally shorter and everyday wear jackets people go for a longer length than how it looked in the movie.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well if 24" works for you, go for it. As long as you get the same chest size. Send them an email and ask them; they've certainly gotten better at answering emails lately.

But yeah, if you're going with everyday wear then 24-25 range is good depending on the type of pants. Lower waist jeans would probably work better with something closer to 25", but higher waist pants 24 or so should be fine.

And yes, cosplay screen accurate jackets are quite short as they're meant to be worn with the high waisted 30s style Indy pants.
SheriffGainz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SheriffGainz »

I wasn't sure if the folding was accurate to the pattern, which is why I am hesitant to pull the trigger without input from more experienced minds. Perhaps I was making a mistake.

I guess the higher rise jeans always made me think the jacket was longer than it actually was in my mind, especially looking at photos online.

I've emailed Wested a few times about this and haven't recieved word back yet, but in the past they have usually been good with responses. I think I'll try their Facebook direct messages tomorrow for comment and I'll update the thread with their statements.

Thank you all for your input, it really does help!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Can be tricky trying to get that exact perfect length. I think westeds site mention a 1/2" tolerance on back length. For example if I wanted a 23.5" back length I would order a 24" If you want a 24" back length consider ordering 24.5"

So you found out that 26" is too long and estimated that 24" would be what you need. So you order 24" but the length comes in at 23.3/4" it's a hair too short and it's unwearable. Been there, bought the T-shirt.

This is just my experience, once or twice they come in at exactly what you want.
SheriffGainz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SheriffGainz »

xmasters wrote:Can be tricky trying to get that exact perfect length. I think westeds site mention a 1/2" tolerance on back length. For example if I wanted a 23.5" back length I would order a 24" If you want a 24" back length consider ordering 24.5"

So you found out that 26" is too long and estimated that 24" would be what you need. So you order 24" but the length comes in at 23.3/4" it's a hair too short and it's unwearable. Been there, bought the T-shirt.

This is just my experience, once or twice they come in at exactly what you want.
Great point, I think that's the way to go. I appreciate your help!