Leather Conditioner? WHAT Leather Conditioner??

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

LetHerGo888
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Leather Conditioner? WHAT Leather Conditioner??

Post by LetHerGo888 »

Is Pecar's cream the same as Lexol? Like in terms of function? Or does one need both?

I'm looking into these to aid the distressing/breaking in/authentication of the various leather items and accessories (jacket, belt, whip, whip holder, holster).

Thanks!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Leather Conditioner? WHAT Leather Conditioner??

Post by Michaelson »

Their motorcycle leather lotion is essentially the same as Lexol.

Standard Pecards and 'Pecards Cream' are a different, yet 'same' product....just one has less beeswax in it that the other. I had no clue why they named it cream, as it's a fairly thin jell....but I was told by the Pecards product manager WAY back when it was just named that due to the fact they already had the labels printed as such, and it was just to costly to go back and change it to 'Leather Jell'. GO figure! :lol:

I've used the 'cream' a lot as it soaks in a LOT faster than standard Pecards, though you can 'drive' the standard dressing into the leather by using a hair dryer on low to liquify the dressing and allowing it to soak into the item you're applying it to.

I've also used with great success the leather dressing/conditioner that USWings sells. It is a lot like Lexol, but gives the jacket a bit more water resistance rather than simply conditioning the leather.

Hope this helps answer your question. :M:

Regards! Michaelson
LetHerGo888
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by LetHerGo888 »

Good deal. Thank you! This helps a lot.
Maybe I'll grab some USWings. I've had good luck with the Lexol conditioner so far loosening up and weathering in the gas mask bag strap for example. But nervous to use on jacket. Sounds like it's safe but not as good as Pecars or US.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

USWings also has a great spray for water resistance that works! I’ve used both with great success.
Regards! Michaelson :M:
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Michaelson, I'm so happy yer still here at COW. Somebody sent me a PM asking about some distressing based on some old pics on one of my posts and they dragged me over here.
Its heartening to see you still know things and are sharing that knowledge still.
<3
:TOH:
-rabittooth
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks! Good to see you too, Rab!! :TOH:

Actually, I’m here every day. I just leave myself in ‘invisible mode’ so my comings and going’s aren’t noticed, but I am in and out every day.

I’m also still answering PM’s for those who seek me out, but only volunteer if someone sits too long waiting for a reply. Many times I’ve replied and my posts are ignored. There is enough new blood around here that few look for anything from old timers like me anymore, let alone take time to listen to what I say. That’s ok.. ;)

Lately I’ve just been deleting ignored posts I’ve made and let folks figure out their own conclusions, which is actually a good way to learn. :-k

Anyway, VERY happy to see you around!!

HIGH regards! Michaelson :M:
LetHerGo888
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by LetHerGo888 »

Thank you all for your replies and help here

The jacket was in an excellent place on Halloween--I rinsed it, wore it dry and crinkled the sleeves, rubbed it with alcohol, sandpapered it and patted it down with Fuller's Earth. It really looked great. I had tried to change the color with acetone--to get that great black/grey/brown tint evident in the screen jacket--but it didn't appear to have much impact on the color, and I chickened out.

Anyway, on November 1 I found the leather hardened and especially brittle along the sleeves. I panicked. It's such a nice jacket, so I used Lexol cleaner and conditioner, and now it looks brand new again. You can't even see the sandpaper marks. It's sort of return to its original shape as well. The sleeves are still kind of scrunched up but it really looks brand new.

So now I'm back to wanting to distress it again! What I really want to do most before anything else is affect the color properly. Is acetone really the only way to do this?

This is a Wested Hero in shrunken lamb, btw. It's really such a lovely jacket.

Anyway thank you both so much for your help and advice. I really Appreciate it very much. Rabbit tooth, thank you so much for your p.m. which served me very well getting the thing into shape for Halloween. I've wanted this jacket since 1981, when I was 8 years old! I didn't even know replicas were available until I found this site. And I wouldn't have taken the plunge except bybthe insistence of my 8 year old daughter, now herself a die-hard Raiders fan. (Uhh, I mean, probably wouldn't have taken the plunge. It gave me a good excuse, how about that?)
LetHerGo888
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by LetHerGo888 »

For anybody keeping score, my Wested Hero in shrunken Lamb had lost texture and I was worried about ever getting the right screen color.
It had also taken on a gasoline-puddle sheen following my treatment of Lexol cleaner and conditioner.
Well, last night while watching The Devil's Candy I noticed that the color under that sheen was pretty spot-on, actually. Feeling gutsy, I wiped it all down again with rubbing alcohol and now it has not only a perfect screen color, but the exact right texture as well. It looks great, maybe in need of some sandpapering, but otherwise it looks and fits killer.

Who knew?!
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

Care to post a pic of the jacket? Am curious to see how it turned out.
LetHerGo888
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by LetHerGo888 »

Thee wrote:Care to post a pic of the jacket? Am curious to see how it turned out.
I will totally, just have to figure out how to do that on here! Please stand by.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

When I bought my Nowak CS it was a very chocolate brown color and I wanted to change it to the dark color you see in the graveyard scene. I bought some Obenauf’s oil from Cabelas and treated it. It was amazing stuff, now I know why firemen use it. It darkened the jacket, waterproofed it and turned it to butter! I’ve only had to partially treat it one time since that first time and it still looks great. I wear my jacket 9 months out of the year.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/obenauf ... lsrc=aw.ds

Pre-treated

Once I realized what it did for my jacket I went for it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Looks great! Just keep in mind once you go with oil, that’s all you can use from now on with that jacket. It’s irreversible.

Regards! M
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Michaelson wrote:Looks great! Just keep in mind once you go with oil, that’s all you can use from now on with that jacket. It’s irreversible.

Regards! M
That’s OK I bought a lot. :lol:
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

I've been using RM Williams saddle and leather dressing for decades. Absolutely fantastic stuff, used it on jackets, boots, bags, everything leather. Really wonderful and doesn't go rancid. If you see it or it's easily available grab a tin of the stuff.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

lantzn wrote:When I bought my Nowak CS it was a very chocolate brown color and I wanted to change it to the dark color you see in the graveyard scene. I bought some Obenauf’s oil from Cabelas and treated it. It was amazing stuff, now I know why firemen use it. It darkened the jacket, waterproofed it and turned it to butter! I’ve only had to partially treat it one time since that first time and it still looks great. I wear my jacket 9 months out of the year.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/obenauf ... lsrc=aw.ds

Pre-treated

Once I realized what it did for my jacket I went for it.
BTW Lantzn, if you don't mind my asking, what's the hat? Moonstone Akubra Fed? Whatever it is, it looks terrific.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

BTW Lantzn, if you don't mind my asking, what's the hat? Moonstone Akubra Fed? Whatever it is, it looks terrific.
That is my Penman CS train hat. I wear it and my Adventurebilt CS nine months out of the year.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

lantzn wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Looks great! Just keep in mind once you go with oil, that’s all you can use from now on with that jacket. It’s irreversible.

Regards! M
That’s OK I bought a lot. :lol:
I should have mentioned Obenauf has both oil and cream. I used the oil because I liked the way it soaked in and spread easier. I used the cream on another jacket and it’s effects disappeared much quicker.

https://www.obenaufs.com/heavy-duty-lp- ... -paste.htm
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

lantzn wrote:
That is my Penman CS train hat. I wear it and my Adventurebilt CS nine months out of the year.
Thanks, a really handsome looking lid :)