Raiders Pants

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Raiders Pants

Post by IJJTM »

I’m planning to upgrade some of my Raiders gear pieces and I was wondering who you all would recommend as a good maker of Raiders Pants. (Link another thread if this one is too similar to another)
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Raiders Pants

Post by backstagejack »

Basically, in these sparse times.... Magnoli is probably your best close enough aside from Todds which is not a thing anymore.
There's Wested which is okay and WPG which has some mixed reviews. But Mags is your #1 at this time in the game.
Search function is your friend though I found these three threads on the first two pages without even using it.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=69659

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=69487

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68266

:TOH:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Oof, the timing on this is crazy! I was just thinking about the pants. I got a pair of Magnoli trousers today and I was looking at the Wested pants too - but apparently they’re not very highly rated around here. :-k :?
Last edited by McFly on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

McFly wrote:
I can’t afford to keep buying new Magnoli stuff, so I was hoping the Wested pants would work too - but apparently they’re not very highly rated around here. :-k :?
What is it that people don't like about the Wested pants?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

From my quick look through, it seems like people don’t like the color, and some complained about the buttons or fit. :-k
MaverickFerg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaverickFerg »

I ordered a pair of WPG pants in early March (just before things got bad) and I was amazed at how fast they arrived. (Obviously now, that might be different.) I'm happy with the overall look (color, weight, etc.), granted they're on my Indy mannequin, so I haven't worn them myself yet (although I got them in my size so I can wear them at some point). Keep in mind they have to be hemmed.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

I also recently ordered WPG pants - they're pretty good overall. I don't think the fabric is super hardy, but they definitely look and feel like Indy pants. My only real complaint is that the pack pockets aren't scalloped. Small detail, but worth pointing out.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Ken wrote:What is it that people don't like about the Wested pants?
The complaint was they were too tapered, that was my experience, but I think Wested changed the pattern since and have a wider leg at the cuff.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

The Wested I found to be close to spot on (minus the pleated front) when compared to Eastman Leather, which are precise WWII copies. Wested's are a pleasingly lighter fabric.

https://www.eastmanleather.com/apparel/ ... issue.html

Here are Wested's take:

captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

I have a pair of the WPG and I think they are very comfortable and fit well. I like the color. I can't speak to how screen accurate they are to each of the films, but they certainly check off the boxes- back pocket flaps, color, "pinks" styling, button fly. My only complaint is there is some pilling of the fabric.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

captblitzdawg wrote:I have a pair of the WPG and I think they are very comfortable and fit well. I like the color. I can't speak to how screen accurate they are to each of the films, but they certainly check off the boxes- back pocket flaps, color, "pinks" styling, button fly. My only complaint is there is some pilling of the fabric.
I totally agree. Mine are pilling too, and I've only had them since April, which is what I meant by the fabric not being 'hardy'. Otherwise, I agree - great pants. I don't know if they will hold up for very long, sadly...
Ghostsoldier
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ghostsoldier »

What's the difference in the three versions of pants on the WPG website?

Rob
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

Ghostsoldier wrote:What's the difference in the three versions of pants on the WPG website?

Rob
I know (from previous comments in COW) one of them is considered to be heavier weight material, and thick where it is stitched- especially the waist. The other two are lighter weight, one a newer version. Looking at them, the difference is probably more in the colors used. I bought the older light weight pants and like them a lot.
Ghostsoldier
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ghostsoldier »

captblitzdawg wrote:
Ghostsoldier wrote:What's the difference in the three versions of pants on the WPG website?

Rob
I know (from previous comments in COW) one of them is considered to be heavier weight material, and thick where it is stitched- especially the waist. The other two are lighter weight, one a newer version. Looking at them, the difference is probably more in the colors used. I bought the older light weight pants and like them a lot.
Thanks, Cap. I'm new to the Indy scene, and buying a pair of pants is one of the things that is coming soon for my upgrade...as soon as I finish dropping a few more pounds, lol.

I've purchased a lot of gear from Jerry, and will most likely buy my pants from him, too.

Rob
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I have a pair of Indy pants from Magnoli. They were overstock and made in cotton but I love them. Due to the fabric they don't look the right color for Indy but they're great adventure pants. The quality and cut over all is just excellent.

My hope is with his ready made Indy stuff that maybe pants are next up on the roster (it makes logical sense as he now has the shirts and boots).
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I have a older pair of Wested, but when taking pic’s I wear my Todds.
Never tried the WPG version, but if there pilling :-k I read once to remove the pilling, use a razor (type you’d use to shave).
I tried it on a cardigan and it worked, just don’t be heaven handed.

Croft :mrgreen:
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

I purchased a pair of Wested trousers at the beginning of this year and they have made them more screen accurate - straighter leg and improved pocket flaps. The cavalry twill they use has always been good quality and is closer in colour to Last crusade than Raiders. [unfortunately they are a bit tighter round the waist now after lockdown !]
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

I bought a pair of the newer Wested trousers late last year and in my opinion they are very high quality. The cavalry twill is a great fabric and the fit and finish is professionally done. I think the cut is also spot on with a wide leg opening. To me, they look just like Ford's.
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

The trouble with high-quality cavalry twill trousers, like wested's , is they feel more like a 'formal occasion' dress trouser - something to wear only 'for best'. At £89 a pair not cheap to replace if dragged behind a truck for example - but I suppose the same could be said for the rest of the 'indy gear' (leather jacket ,boots etc)
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

donovan wrote:The trouble with high-quality cavalry twill trousers, like wested's , is they feel more like a 'formal occasion' dress trouser - something to wear only 'for best'. At £89 a pair not cheap to replace if dragged behind a truck for example - but I suppose the same could be said for the rest of the 'indy gear' (leather jacket ,boots etc)

You have to admit, for a college professor, Indy buys pretty expensive gear to actively destroy.

Then you have to REALLY think that he wears the same exact clothes for decades. Indy's clothes though reminiscent of military clothing, they are most definitely not. So he's not picking them up at surplus stores over time. Which means he's having the same patterns of shirts, pants, jackets, etc custom made for him continually (not to mention the hat, I don't buy him having the same hat for 40 plus years). Which the fact that the clothes are all just slightly different in every movie makes more sense. But all that means lots of $$$
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

backstagejack wrote:
donovan wrote:The trouble with high-quality cavalry twill trousers, like wested's , is they feel more like a 'formal occasion' dress trouser - something to wear only 'for best'. At £89 a pair not cheap to replace if dragged behind a truck for example - but I suppose the same could be said for the rest of the 'indy gear' (leather jacket ,boots etc)

You have to admit, for a college professor, Indy buys pretty expensive gear to actively destroy.

Then you have to REALLY think that he wears the same exact clothes for decades. Indy's clothes though reminiscent of military clothing, they are most definitely not. So he's not picking them up at surplus stores over time. Which means he's having the same patterns of shirts, pants, jackets, etc custom made for him continually (not to mention the hat, I don't buy him having the same hat for 40 plus years). Which the fact that the clothes are all just slightly different in every movie makes more sense. But all that means lots of $$$
Tailors and tailoring were more common back then. I never saw Indy as one to go to a department store to get his gear. Besides, there weren't many around back then.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That’s what I imagine. Indy would walk into a tailor with his old tattered trousers and say, “Make two to match these.”

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

marker2037 wrote: Tailors and tailoring were more common back then. I never saw Indy as one to go to a department store to get his gear. Besides, there weren't many around back then.
I definitely agree but also, having his jacket, pants, shirt and fedora replaced on probably a regular basis was not that common. Most people wore their clothes for years and would have them repaired, let out, brought in, etc. A leather jacket alone is supposed to last you a lifetime (in theory) not a quick trip to Egypt.

Indy's adventures kinda make repairing etc impossible.

But since he's a movie character, I reckon he's like Jack Slater in "Last Action Hero", he just has a whole closet of nothing but Indy gear.

What's sad (maybe?) is I kinda like that. I'd love to just wear indy gear every day. The pants are pretty comfy.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

My two cents.
I’ve always assumed Indy’s gears was based on military.
And that’s were he picked them up, it’s what the gear was based on.
And clothes were Perty cheap back then and he was a tenured professor.

And I’ve been wear an Indy shirt every day (No not the same one) For the last 6 weeks, that and a Fedora and my new jacket.
And not a peep out of anyone.

Croft :mrgreen:
Last edited by Indiana Croft on Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

backstagejack wrote:But since he's a movie character, I reckon he's like Jack Slater in "Last Action Hero", he just has a whole closet of nothing but Indy gear.

What's sad (maybe?) is I kinda like that. I'd love to just wear indy gear every day. The pants are pretty comfy.
Efficiency experts say wearing the same thing everyday is helpful, keeps your brain from getting muddled having to make yet one more decision.
Why successful individuals wear the same outfit daily?
You'll save brainpower.

You can't be going through the day distracted by trivia." When you wear the same thing, you're one step closer to avoiding the distraction of trivia. It takes no thought to get dressed in the morning. You can channel all that decision-making power directly into growing your business.
Regards,

Indiana Jeff
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
backstagejack wrote:But since he's a movie character, I reckon he's like Jack Slater in "Last Action Hero", he just has a whole closet of nothing but Indy gear.

Efficiency experts say wearing the same thing everyday is helpful, keeps your brain from getting muddled having to make yet one more decision.
You'll save brainpower.

You can't be going through the day distracted by trivia." When you wear the same thing, you're one step closer to avoiding the distraction of trivia. It takes no thought to get dressed in the morning. You can channel all that decision-making power directly into growing your business.
Regards,

Indiana Jeff

I love the idea of wearing the same thing everyday... I do have trouble choosing between what to wear even though the main variation in my wardrobe is the colour, not so much the style of clothes...

:-k
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Indiana Croft wrote:My two cents.
I’ve always assumed Indy’s gears was based on military.
And that’s were he picked them up, it’s what the gear was based on.
And clothes were Perth cheap back then and he was a tenured professor........
I would agree except just like his jacket, his shirt and pants mimic military wear but are not. His pants are pleated when the military pinks weren't. His shirt has obvious differences from a general issued army shirt. So, I've always assumed if Indy was "real" that he'd have to be getting them custom made. But this is also just looking too much into a fictional characters life I reckon haha

I sometimes wish they had altered his clothing up a little for his field gear (though not as much as they did Han Solo's gear in TFA). It would make it seem more real...especially by 1958.
Indiana Jeff wrote:
You'll save brainpower.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Yeah they say that's why Steve jobs and Zuckerburg, etc always wear/wore the same basic outfits. Probably why Einstein would forget to wear socks.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

I've got a pair of the Wested ones winging their way to me as I type this (along with a couple of other things) so will post pics of mine when they turn up.

I was pleased to read that they have been redone over the last year or two with a straighter leg and this was one of the things that spurred me on to order a pair.

Wested dispatched them the day I ordered and although the post has slowed due to CV, I'm hoping they show up here late this coming week.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

Just got a message from DHL, that my Indy strides are ready to collect. I'll pick them up later today but I'm currently working night shifts so it might take me a day or two to organise some snaps and post them here.

Very excited about getting them and seeing what they're like ;)
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Smithy wrote:Just got a message from DHL, that my Indy strides are ready to collect. I'll pick them up later today but I'm currently working night shifts so it might take me a day or two to organise some snaps and post them here.

Very excited about getting them and seeing what they're like ;)
Looking forward to it.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

Well got my package from Wested of the pants, shirt and the Raiders gloves and I can honestly say I'm very, very pleased :)

Fit-wise everything is absolutely spot on. I've just come off 5 night shifts in a row so am in decompression mode at the moment - and a little buggered to boot - but I'll endeavour to take some photos tomorrow of everything and post them here and in the other appropriate threads.

Cheers,

Tim
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

Finally got around to taking some pics of my new Wested pants. I'm thrilled with them for the price and am going to pick another pair up as I like them so much. I followed Wested's sizing directions and the fit is perfect. Fabric is lovely and super comfortable. Obviously their unhemmed so off to my tailor to have them taken up and military hemmed. I'd thoroughly recommend them to anyone who was sitting on the fence about buying a pair.

zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Just to add to the conversation:

tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I wish they were more grey just like on that photo.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

With my photos above be aware that I live inside the Arctic Circle in Norway and currently we are fast approaching polar night so natural daylight is weak at best. The photos of my new Wested strides were taken using the not terribly professional method of my Samsung mobile phone without flash and under artificial indoor lighting.

I actually think that Wested have done a pretty good job colour-wise compared to the Raiders trousers. If you put them under a harsh Egyptian/Tunisian sun they'd look lighter but the colour in real life under subdued light like we have here compares nicely to shots of Indy's pants in lower light conditions like in the Well of Souls. I realise that's not terribly scientific but I'm really thrilled with them and am more than happy with the colour and shade of them.