Weathered SOC/truck chase fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Screencapped
Vendor

Weathered SOC/truck chase fedora

Post by Screencapped »

Hey everyone it's been quite awhile since I've visited this forum so I thought I'd drop by this morning to show you this weathered Raiders fedora from pure beaver I made recently. I'd have to say it's not too shabby for being only the second fully weathered job I've ever done...ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Weathered SOC/truck chase fedora

Post by Ken »

Looks incredible - how exactly did you weather it? Any tips/ techniques for applying the dirt (or is it Fullers Earth)?
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Very nice work! :clap:
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Really like the bash too!
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Brian, be honest now -- did you time-travel and grab that hat off Harrison Ford's head when nobody was looking? ;)
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Ken wrote:Looks incredible - how exactly did you weather it? Any tips/ techniques for applying the dirt (or is it Fullers Earth)?
Thanks very much! I use a combination of two different shades of costume dust plus a little acrylic paint. And if you're wondering whether the paint is permanent the answer is yes and no. If I was to really lay on the acrylic then yes it would be extremely difficult to remove if not impossible. However my technique is to apply the paint(mixed with water) very conservatively in a manner that I've discovered can be removed with sandpaperImage

Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

mark seven wrote:Very nice work! :clap:
Thank ya!!!

Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Howard Weinstein wrote:Brian, be honest now -- did you time-travel and grab that hat off Harrison Ford's head when nobody was looking? ;)
LOL! I cant lie to you Howard....yes I did!ImageImageImage

Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Screencapped wrote:
Ken wrote:Looks incredible - how exactly did you weather it? Any tips/ techniques for applying the dirt (or is it Fullers Earth)?
Thanks very much! I use a combination of two different shades of costume dust plus a little acrylic paint. And if you're wondering whether the paint is permanent the answer is yes and no. If I was to really lay on the acrylic then yes it would be extremely difficult to remove if not impossible. However my technique is to apply the paint(mixed with water) very conservatively in a manner that I've discovered can be removed with sandpaperImage

WOW. I have really gone to town weathering jackets before but somehow with a hat its different for me. I have got it dirty but acrylic paint - I don't think I would trust myself not to make a mistake that would be permanent or require sandpaper to remove. You are a brave, and talented, individual! Definitely worth it though - one of the best looking fedoras I have seen.

Ken
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Ken wrote:
Screencapped wrote:

WOW. I have really gone to town weathering jackets before but somehow with a hat its different for me. I have got it dirty but acrylic paint - I don't think I would trust myself not to make a mistake that would be permanent or require sandpaper to remove. You are a brave, and talented, individual! Definitely worth it though - one of the best looking fedoras I have seen.

Ken
Thank you Ken! I really appreciate your kind wordsImageImageImage

Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

If any of you guys would like to check my work out and see some of the hats I've made for friends and Indy fans allover here's a link to my page. If the link doesn't work have a look at Screencapped Hats on Facebook Image

https://www.facebook.com/Screencapped-H ... 438054722/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;