Wested's HERO jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I think the fit works for you. I think it'll only look better once the leather breaks in and softens.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Nice pictures!! Thanks for posting.

So you are saying one is a size 34 and the other is a size 38?! Yet they both look pretty much a similar fit to me in the photos (and look like a good fit on you)... very interesting.

I always felt in the past Westeds are cut a little on the roomy side. I am a 38 too but if I were to get one I think I would go with a 36.

Ken
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

You've got about as close to a SA fit from a Wested standard cut as possible. Looks good. The full Hero cut would probably leave you swimming in the shoulders.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Ken wrote:So you are saying one is a size 34 and the other is a size 38?! Yet they both look pretty much a similar fit to me in the photos (and look like a good fit on you)... very interesting.
Yeah! That ToD jacket is a 34. Hard to believe it, looking at the two. :-k I think a 36 might have been better, too.
Illinois_Jones wrote:You've got about as close to a SA fit from a Wested standard cut as possible. Looks good. The full Hero cut would probably leave you swimming in the shoulders.
You think it's a SA looking fit? It was a "custom" jacket, but then again you only get to pick the chest, sleeves, and length. I would have specified a slim fit if I'd had the option. I definitely wouldn't have picked a Hero cut - any larger would have been crazy!
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

McFly wrote:
You think it's a SA looking fit? It was a "custom" jacket, but then again you only get to pick the chest, sleeves, and length. I would have specified a slim fit if I'd had the option. I definitely wouldn't have picked a Hero cut - any larger would have been crazy!
So HERO cut = larger fit?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I think it looks good, if you want more of a drainpipe slim fit you have to order the ToD jacket.

The Hero Raiders jacket has exaggerated larger collar and larger mid section/pockets, that can make it look overly big, but my 38" Hero jacket has a pit to pit of 18" and the arm sleeves are narrower the standard raiders.
Last edited by xmasters on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Ken wrote:
McFly wrote:
My understanding is that the shoulders, at least, are much wider because the jacket is designed to sit back away from your neck a little bit. I think the shoulders may also actually be a bit wider.

Looking at my jacket, compared with this image of Indy with his arms up, I think my fit might actually be pretty nice after all. I felt like there was too much room in the armpit area, but he's got about the same extra room there as I do. ####, his outfit looks good there.

xmasters wrote:I think it looks good, if you want more of a drainpipe slim fit you have to order the ToD jacket.
I'm realizing that as well - I'm used to my ToD jacket, with its narrower cut (which I'll always love and hold onto), but I think it's just a bit of adjusting to the Raiders cut.
twistedotter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by twistedotter »

Personally, the fit on you is exactly what I’m normally looking for. So, while subjective, I think it looks perfect.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Thanks everybody! I decided to give it the water treatment after all, and a coating of Pecards Lotion afterwards to help it not dry out too much. The fit is much better now, and after wearing it all day, I'm much happier with the look. And honestly, wearing a wet leather jacket all day in the summer... not as bad as you think! It actually kept me pretty cool! :lol:

If I ever bought another one, I think I would go back to the Temple of Doom cut, but thanks to you guys, I'm happy with this Raiders jacket. :TOH:
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Illinois_Jones wrote:You've got about as close to a SA fit from a Wested standard cut as possible. Looks good. The full Hero cut would probably leave you swimming in the shoulders.
You think it's a SA looking fit? It was a "custom" jacket, but then again you only get to pick the chest, sleeves, and length. I would have specified a slim fit if I'd had the option. I definitely wouldn't have picked a Hero cut - any larger would have been crazy![/quote]

Not 100% certainly, but about as close as can be hoped for with the standard cut. It looks right on you.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

McFly wrote:
Ken wrote:
McFly wrote:
My understanding is that the shoulders, at least, are much wider because the jacket is designed to sit back away from your neck a little bit. I think the shoulders may also actually be a bit wider.

Looking at my jacket, compared with this image of Indy with his arms up, I think my fit might actually be pretty nice after all. I felt like there was too much room in the armpit area, but he's got about the same extra room there as I do. ####, his outfit looks good there.

xmasters wrote:I think it looks good, if you want more of a drainpipe slim fit you have to order the ToD jacket.
I'm realizing that as well - I'm used to my ToD jacket, with its narrower cut (which I'll always love and hold onto), but I think it's just a bit of adjusting to the Raiders cut.
Nice. I don't think the movie jacket was designed to sit away from the neck - that was the by product of a hastily made pattern that fits strangely. Tony Nowak certainly remarked on the wonky pattern of the original.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

I still contend there was more intention in the fit of the Raiders jacket than many like to think. That collar and shoulder size are MASSIVE -- I would contend something more appropriate for a 50-inch chest than the what 40-41-inch? chest of Ford. Yeah, the jacket was made hastily and the design is wonky, but that's a huge manufacturing and design mistake to make. It's not like the offset pocket on that LC jacket or some of the wind flap differences, etc. They meant to make them oversized like that.

My guess is because Spielberg had the whole movie storyboarded and they knew Ford and the stunt crew were going to need to do a lot of movement and possibly wear pads in some scenes, etc, that they made the jackets roomy in that way. And 40 years ago nobody had really ever made a movie with that kind of kinetic action and stunt work; nobody knew what they were doing, really. And the design wasn't continued and they went for a more normal fit in the other films for reasons, some of which we know. My guess is Ford didn't like the fit because it is awkward and that is one of the many reasons.

I know people like to fantasize some serendipitous happy accident with this stuff, but I've just never seen it.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Illinois_Jones wrote:I still contend there was more intention in the fit of the Raiders jacket than many like to think. That collar and shoulder size are MASSIVE -- I would contend something more appropriate for a 50-inch chest than the what 40-41-inch? chest of Ford. Yeah, the jacket was made hastily and the design is wonky, but that's a huge manufacturing and design mistake to make. It's not like the offset pocket on that LC jacket or some of the wind flap differences, etc. They meant to make them oversized like that.

My guess is because Spielberg had the whole movie storyboarded and they knew Ford and the stunt crew were going to need to do a lot of movement and possibly wear pads in some scenes, etc, that they made the jackets roomy in that way. And 40 years ago nobody had really ever made a movie with that kind of kinetic action and stunt work; nobody knew what they were doing, really. And the design wasn't continued and they went for a more normal fit in the other films for reasons, some of which we know. My guess is Ford didn't like the fit because it is awkward and that is one of the many reasons.

I know people like to fantasize some serendipitous happy accident with this stuff, but I've just never seen it.
I feel like I read somewhere that Deborah Noodleman wanted the shoulders of the jacket made oversized to give Ford a specific look like he was a bit larger than reality. All the Indy jackets have that oversized shoulder in them, it’s just the raiders has the odd way of falling off shoulders a bit.

Also, would like to point out that in the “ ha ha ha, son of a b...” gif above you can see how slim the sleeves are on the Hero jacket.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Here are details of the shrunken lamb hero I got.

Back then I got a 36 but I felt it was too snug on me so I opted for a custom 37 since 38 might be too big for me. Wanted something a little more loose since the raiders jacker was a loose fit.

I like the leather on this one. Was really surprised to see that it's got some subtle striations around and after giving it a wash, grain popped out a lot more. And yes, it's shrunken lamb, resembles the washed due to the striations.

I just find the fit around the sleeves too loose. I already gave it a shower and a tumble dry and it wouldn't really narrow down. What do you guys think?

Here are some close up details:

Pocket details

Back striations and grain

Ribbyness texture popped out after wash

Collar

Here's the fit:
Image (front)
Image (back)
Image (side)
Image (arm fit)
Image (arm fit side view)
Last edited by LostRaider25 on Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

LostRaider25 wrote:Here are details of the shrunken lamb hero I got.

Back then I got a 36 but I felt it was too snug on me so I opted for a custom 37 since 38 might be too big for me. Wanted something a little more loose since the raiders jacker was a loose fit.

I like the leather on this one. Was really surprised to see that it's got some subtle striations around and after giving it a wash, grain popped out a lot more. And yes, it's shrunken lamb, resembles the washed due to the striations.

I just find the fit around the sleeves too loose. I already gave it a shower and a tumble dry and it wouldn't really narrow down. What do you guys think?

Here are some close up details:

Pocket details

Back striations and grain

Ribbyness texture popped out after wash

Collar

Here's the fit:
Image (front)
Image (back)
Image (side)
Image (arm fit)
That looks fantastic on you and love the texture. How recently did you get this?

Ken
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Thank you!

I ordered this around early July (shipped out a week after) then it arrived first week of August (shipping took longer since I sent it to a third party shipping company so it can ship to the Philippines without the expensive customa duties)
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

LostRaider25 wrote:Thank you!

I ordered this around early July (shipped out a week after) then it arrived first week of August (shipping took longer since I sent it to a third party shipping company so it can ship to the Philippines without the expensive customa duties)
I wonder if they are still using the same batch of hide - the finish is really nice! You have a nice jacket sir
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Thank you Ken!

Best one I got from Wested. Just kinda iffy about the sleeves being too baggy. Fit at the chest area is great though, much more comfortable than my other one.

Planning to have the buckles replaced with black ones to make it more SA.

I also ordered a truck jacket from Steele and Jones, just waiting for my turn to get sized. Got something to look forward to.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

LostRaider25 wrote:Thank you Ken!

Best one I got from Wested. Just kinda iffy about the sleeves being too baggy. Fit at the chest area is great though, much more comfortable than my other one.

Planning to have the buckles replaced with black ones to make it more SA.

I also ordered a truck jacket from Steele and Jones, just waiting for my turn to get sized. Got something to look forward to.
Yes I get your feelings on the sleeves - they do look slightly baggy but then I also think it looks good on you. Will be interested to see your S and J jacket - definitely post pictures!

Ken
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Thinking if I want it altered or not. But the space comes in handy when I layer. So will think more than twice about that.

Might get my truck jacket at the end of the year or early next year. Long wait but seeing how it looks from the other posts, it's something worth the wait.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

LostRaider25 wrote:
Might get my truck jacket at the end of the year or early next year. Long wait but seeing how it looks from the other posts, it's something worth the wait.
Is that the current wait time?
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

It's just an estimate based on the posts I see from those who bought plus with the pandemic
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Ken wrote:
LostRaider25 wrote:
Hi LostRaider,

Your S&J order is scheduled to be ready around September 20th.
I'll start working on your sizing 10-15 days prior.

Our estimated current time is about 60/75 days.

Best regards.-
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Indiego Jones wrote:
Ken wrote:
LostRaider25 wrote:
Hi LostRaider,

Your S&J order is scheduled to be ready around September 20th.
I'll start working on your sizing 10-15 days prior.

Our estimated current time is about 60/75 days.

Best regards.-
Looking forward to this Diego!!!
Really excited. I hope everything is going well for you and the S & J team as well.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Ken wrote:
LostRaider25 wrote:Thank you!

I wonder if they are still using the same batch of hide - the finish is really nice! You have a nice jacket sir

I ordered mine (also shrunken lamb) 8/2 and got it 8/7 - threw mine in the shower too and the texture is a little more subtle than this one. :-k
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

McFly wrote:
I ordered mine (also shrunken lamb) 8/2 and got it 8/7 - threw mine in the shower too and the texture is a little more subtle than this one. :-k
That was my thought too - it really seems like the two hides I am interested in, Washed Lamb and Shrunken Lamb, can have quite a lot of variation batch to batch. Unless LostRaider25 you think it was the drying cycle that really brought out the texture?

Ken
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Ken wrote:
McFly wrote:
That was my thought too - it really seems like the two hides I am interested in, Washed Lamb and Shrunken Lamb, can have quite a lot of variation batch to batch. Unless LostRaider25 you think it was the drying cycle that really brought out the texture?

Ken

The striations were there when I got it. The cycle definitely made it pop out more, especially the ribby texture which wasn't so obvious when I got it.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

LostRaider25 wrote:
Ken wrote:

The striations were there when I got it. The cycle definitely made it pop out more, especially the ribby texture which wasn't so obvious when I got it.
Sounds like you got a nice batch of leather! Really love how your jacket looks.

Ken
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Ken wrote:
LostRaider25 wrote:
Ken wrote:

Sounds like you got a nice batch of leather! Really love how your jacket looks.

Ken

Yeah got lucky with the batch most likely. Main reason why I’m having second thoughts in having the sleeves narrowed. Don’t want to ruin this jacket.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

LostRaider25 wrote:

Yeah got lucky with the batch most likely. Main reason why I’m having second thoughts in having the sleeves narrowed. Don’t want to ruin this jacket.
Totally understandable. Well I guess you can just keep wearing it and see how you feel over time. You can always change your mind and get the sleeves altered in the future but you may grow accustomed to how they currently fit and then its not a problem.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

is it possible for leather sleeves to be narrowed or is it a risky and difficult thing to do?

Mostly want it tapered from the elbow area to the wrists.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

LostRaider25 wrote:is it possible for leather sleeves to be narrowed or is it a risky and difficult thing to do?

Mostly want it tapered from the elbow area to the wrists.
Honestly have no idea - I would imagine it's easier to be done at the time of making it but would guess that conceptually it could be done but guessing it would be a complicated job? Don't really know enough about it though I'm afraid
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

My jacket does have some interesting striations that almost look like stripes, but they're hidden on the bottom side of the sleeve. I'm not sure if they were there or not before I washed it, but they look pretty cool! I think the shrunken lamb just has a lot of character to it.

But LostRaider25, I definitely feel you on the sleeves. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but if I'd thought about it more, I might have gone for a Temple of Doom jacket because of the narrower sleeves. The sleeves are particularly large around the elbows and biceps for me, though it is roomy enough to move around without it getting tight.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

TheExit148 wrote:
Illinois_Jones wrote:I still contend there was more intention in the fit of the Raiders jacket than many like to think. That collar and shoulder size are MASSIVE -- I would contend something more appropriate for a 50-inch chest than the what 40-41-inch? chest of Ford. Yeah, the jacket was made hastily and the design is wonky, but that's a huge manufacturing and design mistake to make. It's not like the offset pocket on that LC jacket or some of the wind flap differences, etc. They meant to make them oversized like that.

I feel like I read somewhere that Deborah Noodleman wanted the shoulders of the jacket made oversized to give Ford a specific look like he was a bit larger than reality. All the Indy jackets have that oversized shoulder in them, it’s just the raiders has the odd way of falling off shoulders a bit.

Also, would like to point out that in the “ ha ha ha, son of a b...” gif above you can see how slim the sleeves are on the Hero jacket.
I've read most of what Noodleman has ever said on the Indy process and I doubt she ever said this. But she is so unreliable and often wrong about the Indy jacket elements and history and the costume itself that I would doubt anything she says anyway.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Agreed, and a lot of the droop can be attributed to times when the jacket is unzipped, or half zipped and the wonky pattern.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

McFly wrote:My jacket does have some interesting striations that almost look like stripes, but they're hidden on the bottom side of the sleeve. I'm not sure if they were there or not before I washed it, but they look pretty cool! I think the shrunken lamb just has a lot of character to it.

But LostRaider25, I definitely feel you on the sleeves. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but if I'd thought about it more, I might have gone for a Temple of Doom jacket because of the narrower sleeves. The sleeves are particularly large around the elbows and biceps for me, though it is roomy enough to move around without it getting tight.

Mine actually has those striations with a slightly darker skin tone at the bottom side of the sleeves. Feels a bit softer too. Had mine even before I gave it a wash. For sure shrunken lamb has a lot of character to it.

Last year I got a raiders hero too but in a smaller chest size and the sleeves weren’t that roomy. But chest was too snug that I wasn’t too comofortable with it so I decided to size up. Chest fit is now better but the arms...I liked how the arms fit me previously. I tried layering this though with a sweater and the sleeves actually fit better so I might use this as my layering jacket. Some stills from the film show that Indy’s sleeves were quite loose as well and some stills show it looked tapered. Or maybe my eyes aren’t catching it right. Either way I just tell myself that it’s better if the arms could move around properly than be limited. Better more room than none.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

JacketFit.jpg
Did a little test run with the jacket - still too warm to wear for longer than 5 minutes, but it was good to run around for a minute! I think this shows off the texturing a little bit.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

McFly wrote:
JacketFit.jpg
Did a little test run with the jacket - still too warm to wear for longer than 5 minutes, but it was good to run around for a minute! I think this shows off the texturing a little bit.
Wait is this your shrunken lamb? Looks so much darker in these pictures!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

It is the shrunken lamb! I looks pretty dark in the shade, doesn't it? I think the color is really nice, but it does change a lot between direct sun / shade / indoor light.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

I agree, shade can vary depending on sunlight. When I have the time I'll see if I can get some shots under the sun.

Your jacket looks good on you Mcfly, doesn't seem as baggy as you mention.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I just find it hard to comprehend these are the same jacket - the colour seems so different
Attachments
Shane 02.jpg
Shane 01.jpg
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Those two are different jackets. That's the old washed goat vs the new shrunken lamb.

THESE are the same jacket:
ShrunkenLambIndoors.jpg
ShrunkenLambOutdoors.jpg
The colors do still look pretty different between those images, but I think the difference is a little easier to reconcile. Personally, I think the first photo is pretty warm, and the second photo is pretty cool. The real color is something in between.
LostRaider25 wrote:I agree, shade can vary depending on sunlight. When I have the time I'll see if I can get some shots under the sun.

Your jacket looks good on you Mcfly, doesn't seem as baggy as you mention.
Thanks! I'm definitely growing more attached to it, the more I try it on and see it from different angles.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

I think that jacket looks great on you! I really like the subtle, not quite so exaggerated texture of the skin and the color transition to the darker shade looks amazing. As stated, it is difficult to believe that is the same jacket you had originally showcased.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Here's a shot of mine under the sun

Direct Sunlight (makes the lighter brown shade pop out more)

Diffused Sunlight ((makes the darker brown shade pop out more)

Last edited by LostRaider25 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

LostRaider - your jacket looks so good! I love how worn in it looks already and the texture showing up in certain areas is just fantastic.

For my personal tastes though the colour is still a little light. I know that the reason we see differences in the jacket colour scene to scene in the movie is due to lighting, white balance and colour grading but for me the colour I want my jacket to look is how I see it in the truck chase:

This will always be the holy grail of jacket colour for me - almost black in appearance. I think the closest I have seen is Joe Green's jacket - I am not sure what he started with but he took a pre-existing jacket and dyed it to get it looking really dark. You can see it at the start of this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9nKbBEE4Ss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is why I am so torn between shrunken lamb and washed lamb.

Washed lamb:
Love the colour
The texture can look amazing but can also look too pronounced, like dinosaur scales

Shrunken lamb
Colour appears to be lighter than the washed lamb
Again after people have washed it the texture can look amazing though in some photos it looks very smooth

I really think it all depends on what batch of leather you get from Wested. when they open up again on the 3rd September I am going to see if they can give me photographs of the exact hides they are currently using as I think that's the only way to really know what you would get.

My instinct is if the current Washed Lamb batch texture looks good, then that is the way to go, otherwise it might be getting a Shrunken Lamb and maybe dying it darker.

Ken
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Thanks Ken!

Edited the post above to show how it looks under diffused sunlight.

Shrunken lamb's colour can vary depending on the light source. I personally like the color as it is. I have a standard raiders goatskin which is closer to grey and black, and I prefer this one which leans more to the brown shade.

The jacket in that screen grab is really great. Color is spot on. Makes me more excited for my truck jacket.

I don't think you can go wrong with either washed or shrunken.
I do suggest you ask Wested for some photos of their current leather batches so you know what you're getting.

Washed lamb is a darker brown (with consistent color) but as you mentioned, texture can be too prominent that it'll look like "dino hide". If you can request for a washed lamb with subtle striations then that would be great.

If not, then I think getting the darkest and grainiest batch of shrunken lamb available will be better, since you can just have it dyed or conditioned to get it to the darker shade of choice. Color can be easily changed but texture, that's there forever.
Last edited by LostRaider25 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

LostRaider25 wrote:
The jacket in that screen grab is really great. Color is spot on. Makes me more excited for my truck jacket.
The S&G jacket? Their truck jacket looks insanely good! Make sure you post photos when you get it.
Ken
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Ken wrote:
LostRaider25 wrote:
The S&G jacket? Their truck jacket looks insanely good! Make sure you post photos when you get it.
Ken

Yup, S&J definitely knows how to make people buy more indy jackets haha, their craftsmanship is a work of art.
Originally wanted the main hero from them but as of now, they're focusing on their truck jacket line.
Same pattern and leather, just subtle differences in the leather grain and striations.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

McFly wrote:
JacketFit.jpg

That looks perfect!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

xmasters wrote:
McFly wrote:
JacketFit.jpg

That looks perfect!
Thank you! It’s really growing on me!