Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

New Magnoli Jacket:

Post by Captain D »

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've posted, but here are a few pics of the new Magnoli 'Version A' Indy jacket. I once owned another Magnoli Indy jacket, but I sized up the arm-holes just a tad too narrow (completely my fault) so it truly pained me to sell it as the distressing was absolutely superb. Other than that - best Indy jacket I've ever owned & knew that it was only a matter of time til' I became a repeat customer to Magnoli! I basically ordered the exact same thing, but wider arm-hole measurements for better comfort and it turned out pretty good, in my opinion. Great fit, thin cowhide for extra durability (vs. lambskin), stitching is nice n' tight, etc. My previous Magnoli Indy jacket had A LOT more distressing to it (per my request and Magnoli's team a super job on it), lol. So, this one I thought that I would try Michelson's concept of natural aging just for something new / different for a change, ha ha!

Other than that - another work of art from Magnoli's shop. Thanks for looking!
Attachments
Indy002.JPG
Last edited by Captain D on Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: New Magnoli Jacket:

Post by Captain D »

Pic #2:
Attachments
Indy 001.jpg
mister.e.meat78
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mister.e.meat78 »

That's a good looking jacket! Hows the fit and feel?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thanks a bunch for the reply! The fit + feel is absolutely perfect. I'll see if I can get someone to take a few pics of me wearing it. But, it's 96 degrees outside right now, lol. The grain of the leather is very consistent throughout, which I can appreciate. Although I'm going to 'try' and let it age naturally, what may be the best way for the leather to relax / soften up a lil' more? Don't get me wrong - it's super supple, but I reckon' the best way is to simply wear it, if it gets rained on Pecard it, and so on.

The one thing that I've noticed is that the straps are a lil' shorter than my previous jacket, (no biggie by any means whatsoever) which is totally cool because I've heard that is more accurate anyhow. The only point that I was curious to ask about is the front pocket size. Do they seem a lil' bigger or do they look about right? Again, nothing major by any means whatsoever & I'm not going to lose a wink of sleep over a pocket size, lol, but just thought that I would ask.

Thanks again!
mister.e.meat78
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mister.e.meat78 »

I am a fan of naturally aging the jacket just by wearing it. Artificially aging looks just that to me, artificial. I think the pockets look fine, and it is definitely hot where I am at too, so it nags at me a bit I cant slip into my jacket for a few more months yet. I have a USW imported goatskin, and that sucker is a tank of a jacket that looks the same as the day I got it. So maybe in 30 years time it'll have some distressing to it ha ha. Maybe you can just crank the ac in the house and put the jacket on, and run around jumping over the couch and rolling on the floor, pick a fight with the family pet, or wife if you so dare, to get some wear time and start breaking that bad boy in ha ha.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thanks man! Yeah, I found a lil' tub of light brown Fuller's Earth & I confess - I gave into temptation by taking an old sock, dabbing it in, and applying some of the movie magic dust to the jacket - pics to come as it tended to give it a nice ToD feel to it ;) ... beauty about the Fuller's Earth, easy to remove if need be, treat the jacket, & reapply...
Last edited by Captain D on Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

How long did it take you to receive your jacket after ordering? I just ordered mine on July 5th.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Sure, I believe that it took exactly 3 months from order date to delivery date...
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Captain D wrote:Sure, I believe that it took exactly 3 months from order date to delivery date...
I admire your patience, even Wested 2 weeks waiting makes me anxious.....
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

Hammerklavier wrote:
Captain D wrote:Sure, I believe that it took exactly 3 months from order date to delivery date...

By the time mine arrives, it’ll be cooler weather in Ohio.

So, what’s worse: no jacket until October or having a jacket in 90F hot weather that you can’t wear? :lol:
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

borntorun97 wrote:
Hammerklavier wrote:

So, what’s worse: no jacket until October or having a jacket in 90F hot weather that you can’t wear? :lol:
can’t argue with that :clap:
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Lol, I've been Fuller's Earthing it up some. I'll post in next day or two... ;)
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Captain D? Captain D? :-k
Heyyy, didn't we throw you outta here a few years ago??? :rolling:

It's nice seeing some more of the old timers posting. Welcome back.
I just noticed that you may be down in my brothers neighborhood too.

Oh yeah, nice jacket! :TOH:
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hey man, lol, how're you doing? Yeah, I peek in every so often and see what's new going on (mostly in the Indy 5 threads lately). Thanks for checking out the jacket as I'm still in the hobby. Great to see you and the good folks here at IndyGear! :D

Attached are a few more pics of the jacket - I added some light brown Fuller's Earth (the jacket is out in the hot sun blaring down making the jacket look a lot lighter color brown than it actually is). I love the Fuller's Earth as it certainly doesn't damage the jacket, and just really helps to give it that 'lived-in' feel. I'll try to attach a pic of Vic Armstrong that I liked in an effort to help compare the look that I was going after. It's hard to see all of the lil' nuances from the Fuller's Earth in pictures vs. in person, but here goes. Just wanted to mostly share another positive experience, and a quality jacket, through Magnoli's shop.

Thanks again for looking and keeping in touch with this ol' 'old-timer,' lol... ;)
Attachments
KIMG058101.JPG
Last edited by Captain D on Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Pic #2: It's getting there with the Fuller's Earth.
Attachments
KIMG057902.JPG
Last edited by Captain D on Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Vic's cool lookin' jacket. I wonder if he also wore it in Raiders' + ToD films, as well...?
Attachments
c4566937e6630f83d2ec48b177d89499~2.jpg
c4566937e6630f83d2ec48b177d89499~2.jpg (18.53 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hard to tell some of the dust elsewhere on the jacket (if the mods needs to move this thread to the gear care and distressing - no prob! ;) ).
Attachments
KIMG057804.JPG
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

WOW, that is a beautiful looking jacket :shock:

how did you apply the fuller's earth in the specific areas? Did you use a certain brush?
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thanks! It's actually super easy - I reckon' that, yes, you could use a brush. But, I simply used an old sock, dabbed it in the Fuller's Earth (which, is essentially a powder), & merely rubbed it in. Of course, you can equally wipe it off on areas that had too much applied to help blend in.

What I also like about the Fuller's Earth is that you can make lil' streaks with it to give the illusion of scratches & miscellaneous scuff marks all the while the leather underneath is perfectly new.

Thanks again for looking!
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

I see, that's really interesting. Will take note on this if ever I get my hands on some!

Again, very amazing jacket you have there, you must be proud it :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

LostRaider25 wrote:Will take note on this if ever I get my hands on some!
Unscented/natural cat litter or oil absorbents is fullers earth. Check the labels to make sure it is 100% with no other additives. It will be relatively larger pieces, but are easily ground down to powder. You can get pounds for a few dollars rather than ounces of fullers earth that is marketed for costuming or cosmetics. A quick and dirty search found a 25lb bag of cat litter for $5.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ghostsoldier
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ghostsoldier »

And using Fuller's Earth does not damage the leather?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

We just need to see you wearing it. To see how it fits.
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

Hammerklavier wrote:
borntorun97 wrote:
Hammerklavier wrote:

can’t argue with that :clap:

Just got an update. My jacket shipped and is due to arrive August 10th, only a little over a month since I ordered.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Dang, that's really fast - one month! :tup: Please post pics too when you get the chance! Did you go with Model A or C version?
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

Captain D wrote:Dang, that's really fast - one month! :tup: Please post pics too when you get the chance! Did you go with Model A or C version?
I went with the model A
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Captain D wrote:Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've posted, but here are a few pics of the new Magnoli 'Version A' Indy jacket. I once owned another Magnoli Indy jacket, but I sized up the arm-holes just a tad too narrow (completely my fault) so it truly pained me to sell it as the distressing was absolutely superb. Other than that - best Indy jacket I've ever owned & knew that it was only a matter of time til' I became a repeat customer to Magnoli! I basically ordered the exact same thing, but wider arm-hole measurements for better comfort and it turned out pretty good, in my opinion. Great fit, thin cowhide for extra durability (vs. lambskin), stitching is nice n' tight, etc. My previous Magnoli Indy jacket had A LOT more distressing to it (per my request and Magnoli's team a super job on it), lol. So, this one I thought that I would try Michelson's concept of natural aging just for something new / different for a change, ha ha!

Thinking of ordering one of these, but definitely nervous about sharing the wrong measurements and ending up with arm holes too small, etc. What was the mistake you made that led you to order with narrow arm holes the first time? Any recommendations to avoid this problem / get measurements correct the first time in general?
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

mr_alex wrote:
Captain D wrote:Hi all,

Thinking of ordering one of these, but definitely nervous about sharing the wrong measurements and ending up with arm holes too small, etc. What was the mistake you made that led you to order with narrow arm holes the first time? Any recommendations to avoid this problem / get measurements correct the first time in general?
I emailed multiple photos of me wearing my Wested Raiders. I also sent the measurements of that jacket and off the body measurements of myself. He then emailed me what measurements he would recommend for the best fitting jacket.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

I emailed multiple photos of me wearing my Wested Raiders. I also sent the measurements of that jacket and off the body measurements of myself. He then emailed me what measurements he would recommend for the best fitting jacket.
That seems pretty straightforward! That's how you got the right measurements this time? What was your mistake the first time? (Again, just making sure I know what NOT to do)
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

mr_alex wrote:
That seems pretty straightforward! That's how you got the right measurements this time? What was your mistake the first time? (Again, just making sure I know what NOT to do)

Sorry, I wasn’t the original poster. This will be my first jacket from Magnoli. I hope that all the steps that I went through will make my first jacket perfect.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Sorry, I wasn’t the original poster. This will be my first jacket from Magnoli. I hope that all the steps that I went through will make my first jacket perfect.
Sorry about that! I should have been payed closer attention. I hope that your jacket turns out great! Please post some photos in this thread when it arrives :)
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

The more replies, the merrier!

As for me, I alternated between a cloth measuring tape & a regular measuring tape on a jacket that did fit very well. In the end, stick with the cloth measuring tape because: 1.) That's what Magnoli recommends for greater accuracy, 2.) It's what they utilize on their end (as seen in their tutorial videos). 3.) I would go to a tailor and have him / her double-check your measurements, too.

As mentioned, even though I based my measurements off two non-Indy jackets that did fit very well, they weren't 'leather jackets.' With leather, there's just not enough stretch / room to 'give' that, say, a cotton jacket would allow. As a result, when I was driving or pretty much anytime I raised my arms, the leather was just a lil' too tight / snug in the arm-hole & armpit area.

Even though I'm a thin guy, my personal preference is that I just prefer lil' extra room in the armpit area. So, I basically took my pre-existing measurements from jacket #1 & expounded off of them (using the cloth tape route, ;) ).

Hope this helps...
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Captain D wrote:The more replies, the merrier!

As for me, I alternated between a cloth measuring tape & a regular measuring tape on a jacket that did fit very well. In the end, stick with the cloth measuring tape because: 1.) That's what Magnoli recommends for greater accuracy, 2.) It's what they utilize on their end (as seen in their tutorial videos). 3.) I would go to a tailor and have him / her double-check your measurements, too.

As mentioned, even though I based my measurements off two non-Indy jackets that did fit very well, they weren't 'leather jackets.' With leather, there's just not enough stretch / room to 'give' that, say, a cotton jacket would allow. As a result, when I was driving or pretty much anytime I raised my arms, the leather was just a lil' too tight / snug in the arm-hole & armpit area.

Even though I'm a thin guy, my personal preference is that I just prefer lil' extra room in the armpit area. So, I basically took my pre-existing measurements from jacket #1 & expounded off of them (using the cloth tape route, ;) ).

Hope this helps...

It's fairly simple to get your jacket measurements.

Put a well fitting jacket of a similar pattern - a jeans or Harrington jacket, for instance - onto a table lying flat. Zip it or button it up. Measure the pit to pit (under the armpits across the chest). You can even go into a department store try on a jacket you like the fit and look of and measure it on the floor.

Also measure from the base of the collar to the end hem in the middle. That's your back length.

Shoulders do not generally vary, although Indy jackets tend to have very wide shoulders that give the jacket its 1980's baggy look.

I am six two and 185 pounds, my pit to pit is 23 inches. In just about any jacket available, from a leather bike jacket to a tweed blazer. This still gives me the option of a sweater if I need it. The jacket material or fabric is irrelevant unless you are into skin tight garments which clearly an Indy is not.
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

Here are the measurements I sent by email:

Off the body
Height - 72”
Weight - 195lbs
Chest - 42”
Waist - 39” (34 or 36 waist pants)
Shoulder Width - 19”
Arm Length - 26 1/2”
Around Shoulder Circumference - 24”
Bicep Circumference - 12”
Forearm Circumference - 11”
Wrist Circumference - 7 1/4”
Hand Circumference (not thumb) - 9”

Here is a link to a few pics of me wearing my custom Wested Raiders jacket from 2011. The pics were taken a month ago.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4ueZ8Rw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jacket Measurements - Wested Raiders 2011
Chest - 22”
Armhole - 11”
High Arm Width - 8”
Mid Arm Width - 7 1/2”
Sleeve Opening - 5 1/2”
Bottom Width - 21 1/2”
Full Shoulder - 20”
Half Shoulder - 7”
Sleeve Length - 26” originally (shrunk to 25.5”)
Jacket Length - 26”

Here are the FINAL measurements he recommended:
Chest - 22”
Armhole - 10.5”
High Arm Width - 7.5”
Mid Arm Width - 6.5”
Sleeve Opening - 5.5”
Bottom Width - 21”
Full Shoulder - 19”
Half Shoulder - 7”
Sleeve Length - 27”
Jacket Length - 27”
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

The photos look like a perfect fit.

I have bought dozens of leather jackets over 35 years - the only measurements I ever worry about are sleeve, shoulder, chest and back.

Everything else takes care of itself.