Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Inconsistent colored panels on shrunken lamb

Post by LostRaider25 »

Hi guys!

Recently got a hero in shrunken lamb from wested. I really love the fit but then I noticed that the left panel underneath is a lighter shade. Looks like it's a separate piece of leather. Is there anyway to make this consistent?

here are some photos in flash:

if images don't work here are the links:
https://imgur.com/a/z7JdWq0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://imgur.com/mfu6Yj7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got some minkoil and redwing natural conditioner, could those darken it and make it consistent?

I got no leather dye available. Would appreciate some help, thank you!
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Inconsistent colored panels on shrunken lamb

Post by indymassilia »

Hi,try maybe to find a solution directly with Wested,it's the better option..
A return of the jacket or a refund could be possible ?
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

They told me it's "normal" due to the skin's nature and it will slowly darken as I use it.

I also can't have it exchanged or returned since I fall at the smaller size, with my measurements, they told me I can't have this jacket returned if ever.
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

Pecards has a conditioner with a slight amount of brown dye in it. It’s possible that may darken it sufficiently for you, but if you try it I would do it on the inside of the cuff in a small section first just to see how the results pan out before going full bore.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

LostRaider25 wrote:They told me it's "normal" due to the skin's nature and it will slowly darken as I use it.
I find that highly questionable. If that sleeve panel will darken with use it follows the leather on the rest of the jacket will also darken.

I think it's a mismatched piece of leather that should not have shipped.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
LostRaider25 wrote:They told me it's "normal" due to the skin's nature and it will slowly darken as I use it.
I find that highly questionable. If that sleeve panel will darken with use it follows the leather on the rest of the jacket will also darken.

I think it's a mismatched piece of leather that should not have shipped.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I totally agree, I know maker like Aero wouldn't let it happen, but since Wested price much lower..... I don't know
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Some leather oil should help. Test it out on a spot that is out of view. ;) :TOH:
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Some leather oil should help. Test it out on a spot that is out of view. ;) :TOH:
Yup, placed some mink oil, so far it darkened it but will find out if it truly works once it dries up.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Wested normally won't take it back for that reason, and they kind of say since it's leather and therefore inconsistent that you assume that as terms of the sale. Broken zipper or snap or bad stitching, etc, they'll normally repair gratis, but not leather color. As others have said, one of the risks of Wested over the more expensive vendors is that now and then you'll get that result. Usually I think they'd try to use their more inconsistent pieces of skin in places that are relatively hidden -- zipper facing, under the collar, inside pocket flap, etc. Because the shrunken lamb skins are small they try to make the most out of what they have and that can happen.

But if you do want to keep it there are ways to color the leather and make it more even throughout, though you'll have to do it to the whole jacket. People have done it a lot to the shrunken lamb because it is light for screen accuracy. Look around here for people who have done it and there are also some youtube videos with what to use and what to do.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

I really got mixed feelings with this jacket, seems likes a blacksheep to me.

I love how it fits, but the thought of the cons just bother me

Pros:
-so far this is the best fitting hero jacket I finally got from wested. Fits me well the way I like it and leather is really soft. My previous didn't fit me well but this one is the exact opposite.

Cons are the construction:
-The leather mismatch, but I did notice around that the leather fades to light and to dark at some points while I was applying the mink oil. (Probably the nature of shrunken lamb?)
- I got some bad stitching ( unseen areas tho but still) https://imgur.com/U9qtcMh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- and the label is not even aligned well https://imgur.com/mfu6Yj7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; did they even try??

So the cons aren't seen at the outside of the jacket (besides the different shades of leather) but I expected more from Wested, especially that they were the makers of the original jacket. It may not be the most expensive jacket out there but hard earned money is still money.

To make myself feel better, I just tell myself that the original jacket was rushed for production to make it on time for the shoot, so I try to relate my jacket to that, seeming that mine looks rushed.

I really appreciate all the help. Thankful for this forum. Will update you guys on the results. So far it darkened up
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Get some medium brown or dark brown eco-flow waterstain leather dye. It's not that expensive. Apply it with a sponge to the lighter area of the jacket. It dries quickly, you can apply more coats if needed, and one bottlle is good for about three whole jackets.

At least the rest of the jacket looks quite dark, a rare occurance with shrunken lamb, which is often far too light brown.

I feel your pain though. The dodgy stitching, things being off. had this experience myself more than twice. In the end I decided next time I wanted a jacket I'd rather pay the price of two wested jackets and get a Bill Kelso jacket instead. No worries there.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yeah anything that isn't just a regular flat dye job like the standard lamb or goat or cow is going to have inconsistencies. And in some ways that's the point.

I just take it as part of the game with Indy gear that we're dealing with handmade items and there are going to be variations. None of the film jackets match each other, and as you said, they were all made not to the highest of standards. They were costume throwaway pieces.

In many ways we're spoiled today. The quality of materials and construction we have available to us with BK and S&J and Magnoli not to mention the now-defunct Expeditions are far better than the film jackets were. Even Westeds today are better made than the film pieces were, plus USW. People are even saying the same about the hats -- the felts we have today are better than the felts from TOD and LC (the ROTLA felt was a more choice felt). Even Feds probably have better durability than what HJ was making for the films 35 years ago.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

xmasters wrote:Get some medium brown or dark brown eco-flow waterstain leather dye. It's not that expensive. Apply it with a sponge to the lighter area of the jacket. It dries quickly, you can apply more coats if needed, and one bottlle is good for about three whole jackets.

At least the rest of the jacket looks quite dark, a rare occurance with shrunken lamb, which is often far too light brown.

I feel your pain though. The dodgy stitching, things being off. had this experience myself more than twice. In the end I decided next time I wanted a jacket I'd rather pay the price of two wested jackets and get a Bill Kelso jacket instead. No worries there.

Will check around if we have store that holds that nearby if ever the mink oil doesn’t work well.

This is my third wested, first one was great but the next two seemed to flunk down. Size wise and fit I’m happy though, just these dodgy things that shouldn’t be here that bothers me.

Actually it’s a good thing I ordered a from Steele and Jones recently. I’ve been always wanting to have a jacket from them. Turnover will be longer but I feel safer in their hands.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Illinois_Jones wrote:Yeah anything that isn't just a regular flat dye job like the standard lamb or goat or cow is going to have inconsistencies. And in some ways that's the point.

I just take it as part of the game with Indy gear that we're dealing with handmade items and there are going to be variations. None of the film jackets match each other, and as you said, they were all made not to the highest of standards. They were costume throwaway pieces.

In many ways we're spoiled today. The quality of materials and construction we have available to us with BK and S&J and Magnoli not to mention the now-defunct Expeditions are far better than the film jackets were. Even Westeds today are better made than the film pieces were, plus USW. People are even saying the same about the hats -- the felts we have today are better than the felts from TOD and LC (the ROTLA felt was a more choice felt). Even Feds probably have better durability than what HJ was making for the films 35 years ago.

Gotta agree with you there. For sure the quality now is much better than how things were made before. Given that point, it kinda bothers me though for my case since wested’s quality should be better, but turns out it’s a hit and miss with them. I just don’t understand how they could have missed this. Then again I contacted wested again regarding this with better photos. And I’m hoping the mink oil turned around would work too.

Unfortunately these things really happen even if they shouldn’t. Part of the process in finding a great jacket I guess, hit or miss.

Hurts the wallet too
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Wested do make a good quality jacket, you just got one or two that was less than what's often achievable by them. The hit and miss standard is why I spent more for a jacket from elsewhere.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

True enough. They do make quality jackets. Just inconsistent at times.

Probably happened also since there are less people in the factory due to the pandemic.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

That looks like a two-tone jacket. I'm sure you can do something to minimize it but Wested will take back anything if you are not happy, as long as it is within a certain time. I have returned jackets before no issue. As recently as last year. Sounds like you are too far down another track for this.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

This kind of leather varies from piece to piece and even across a single piece of leather, it is without meaning to pun - the nature of the beast.

A very similar thing can be seen on the Crystal Skull Jackets that Lucasfilm put on display and there's no arguing that those were not expensive jackets.

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Yes, even on my Kelso Relic Hunter, there is some difference from one piece to another, but it is fairly subtle. On my Nowak goatskin raiders that I have since sold, the right and left sides of the front of the jacket were slightly different, one side being darker than the other. It bugged me, but not something I gave much thought to. I would think most jacket makers would try to match the color and shade as well as they could.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Well, there's some difference in leathers and then there's a lot of difference in leathers. The OP's example is of the latter.

But notwithstanding this, the issue is if you are not happy, you should send it back. Regardless of what was done/seen elsewhere. Unless you're willing to live with it. I suspect you'll never be happy with it unless you can change it sufficiently.
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

I get the frustration with the color mismatch. I do. I still think the jacket looks great and you should enjoy and wear it. What would peeve me to no end is the stitching. I can’t stand it when they screw up the stitching and add holes. I would not do this with any of the leather goods I produce, and if I did that would be a factory second sold at a discount. I have the same thing on one of my jackets, not from Wested, union made in the USA and I just try to forget about it. It’s probably because of the perfectionist tendencies I have in my own work.

I can’t express this enough. The mindset of most of these companies is, “It’s good enough.” When you want more than that, you have to pay for it. It’s just the way it is. It takes more time. The other vendors mentioned here that cost more are more meticulous, but even they drop the ball in certain aspects from time to time.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Wested replied to me regarding my situation.
They are willing to take it back but where I live, most shipping companies closed down here in the Philippines due to the covid outbreak.
They told me they're willing to give me a 50% refund for this though, so not a total loss.

Regarding the jacket, the mink oil has improved it a lot. Some parts are a lighter brown while most is darker now. The lighter brown looks like an undertone already without me using sandpaper. Will post pictures later on.

Another question too, do you guys know how to tighten the armholes? This hero jacket doesn't seem to have a tapered arm and the arm hole seems big. Pit area is alright, it's more of where my wrists are.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

LostRaider25 wrote:Wested replied to me regarding my situation.
They are willing to take it back but where I live, most shipping companies closed down here in the Philippines due to the covid outbreak.
They told me they're willing to give me a 50% refund for this though, so not a total loss.

Regarding the jacket, the mink oil has improved it a lot. Some parts are a lighter brown while most is darker now. The lighter brown looks like an undertone already without me using sandpaper. Will post pictures later on.

Another question too, do you guys know how to tighten the armholes? This hero jacket doesn't seem to have a tapered arm and the arm hole seems big. Pit area is alright, it's more of where my wrists are.
Is it because of how long you have had it and the fact you put oil on it that they will only give you 50%?
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

CM wrote:

Is it because of how long you have had it and the fact you put oil on it that they will only give you 50%?

No, it's because I can't post it back to them since most shipping companies now are closed here in my country.

I got my jacket 2-3 days ago.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I’m actually surprised they offered to give you that big a discount after you putting mink on it. They didn’t used to! :-k

When returned that treatment has essentially made it unsellable now as it now has oil applied to the hide. That isn’t reversible.

Hopefully you’ll get it to the color you want.

A lot of times you just have to allow time and daily wear and tear to even things out.

Good luck!

Regards! Michaelson :M:
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

I actually just showed more photos of it before I placed the mink oil.
When I found out that they are willing to take it back, but I couldn't send it back to them due to most shipping companies are closed here, that's when I applied the oil.

It's slowly getting better though. Gave it a quick shower (10-15 seconds )while wearing it too just to make it look a bit more lived in. Won't sand paper it though, will let this age naturally.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Thank you guys!
I hope everyone is doing well there despite the pandemic.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

What you could also try is a product called "Eco-Flo water stain" it is a leather dye, I've had a good result using it to warm up the highlights on a pre distressed cowhide. If you get the dark brown, you can probably even out the colour on the shrunken lamb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGwxoaWuEWI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

If you're wanting to narrow the arms at the cuffs it can be done the top seam on the arm is a simple seam, you'll need to take it to a taylor you trust and work out with them how much you want it narrowed by, but it is doable. I have slim wrists and theres a maximum I can cope with at the cuff and will ask for it not to be more than that when ordering a jacket.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Thank you KT Templar!

Was able to narrow it a bit with slight water shrinkage, but will check a tailor too next time.